Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2024, 08:26   #46
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Marinas using cameras for rules enforcement

I work in several dozen marinas on a regular basis and I can't think of one that doesn't have security cameras installed. I have no problem with it. In fact, last year a fellow marine service provider went missing and it was a marina security camera that recorded him drunkenly stumbling down a dock during the wee hours and led the authorities to where he went into the water and drowned.

If you are out in public and are in view of a security camera, that is no different than if a person was standing there, watching you do whatever it is you are doing. And guess what? Nobody cares what you are doing anyway, security camera or no. You aren't important enough for somebody to monitor you in real time. The only time anybody is going to look at what a security camera has on you is if there is a crime or accident that needs investigating and then you might be damn glad that a camera was on and pointed at you.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 08:31   #47

Cameras have become much more useful because they can selectively discern movement and what is moving, for example, a person or animal versus a flag. They will become smarter when they become enabled by AI and have the ability to use logic.

Smile you are on AI.

Presently, they can routinely notify and record only when there is activity which makes it much less data storage and much easier to monitor and they can provide for two way sound, picking up conversations and allowing for automated speaking in reply.

When I was in China, one of our work associate told me that they had a pet break loose of its leash and run off. They contacted the police and the police then had the municipal camera network [literally millions of cameras] search for their specific type of animal and it was located within about 15 minutes about five blocks away. Similarly with an elderly person with dementia that had gone walk about. She indicated that a family member was able to be reunited with a pet bird that had flown off by activation of the camera network.

Definitely great for property protection via detection and recordation of accidents and theft or rule violations.

Most marinas have restrictions on pets that require they be kept on leash and attended at all times by an adult, even on board and that they do not make a nuisance of any kind and that they do their business in designated areas and that the owner must clean up. Typically, zero tolerance for making noise or being aggressive with a permanent ban of that animal if such happens. Once and done. A marina is not a dog park.

Inquisitive wondering cats can be an issue as they will come aboard other persons' boats but often are good at keeping birds away.

I was impressed with the facial recognition systems in China, which activated upon arrival by plane and followed me providing boarding clearance in several of the train stations. My Chinese associates indicated that the system has improved considerably and could frequently discern someone's identity even when they were wearing COVID protective masks. I kidded them about how that was possible, asking: "But you all look alike?" Which brought a hearty round of laughter. If we have sensitive topics, they will routinely ask that we take our communication off of We-Chat because they expect that their conversations are fully monitored, which becomes more difficult with the firewalls that inhibit our American software and phone network connectivity.

It is easy and routine to have continuous tracking of persons, vehicles, vessels and assets. I was recently notified by my phone that there was an Apple tracker following my traveling. It turned out to be my CEO with which I was traveling in New York for business. My phone did not tell me who or what was accompanying / following me but it did display each and every location and when that I had been in near distance to it [my CEO's brief case]. I then asked him if he had installed such on me, .

When traveling in London, the cameras will read license plates and automatically charge for entry into the center congestion zone discerning also based on the amount of combustion emissions of the type and age of vehicle. I told my British associates such a system would not work well in Montana because our vehicles are often coated in mud, road grim and snow such that the license plates are not readable.

I have found "trail tracking" cameras far in the back country of Montana, some are equipped to connect to the mobile phone network and transmit a notification of movement and an image can be downloaded from the camera remotely by the owner / operator. Some of the cameras had solar photovoltaic chargers to power the wireless devices. And some of the cameras are camouflaged so as to not be visually noticed. They can be useful to monitor trespassing. A claim jumper has set up some on our gold mining claims high in the mountains within Forest Service property, apparently cell phone service is accessible up high such that they can receive images of our comings and goings and whether there is snow, etc.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 08:48   #48
CLOD

Boat: none

My experience with the cameras in the marina is that no one looks at the recording unless someone had an issue.
Old 08-03-2024, 08:53   #49

Boat: J/88

While I generally dislike being monitored in any way, I find it impossible to distinguish between a camera that captures a minor transgression like bringing your dog to the boat, and one that captures police abusing the body or rights of a citizen.
Old 15-03-2024, 06:27   #50

Maybe it's to enforce all of of those rules that are not universally followed....it is, after all, their property and they want their rules followed
sailcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2024, 06:29   #51

You have no expectation of privacy in any public space or in someone's private property
sailcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2024, 06:34   #52

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Personally, security cameras give me the creeps. I want nothing to do with them, but unfortunately have no choice since they are now everywhere. I just ignore them and go about my business and have yet to have any problems as a result. Once in awhile I think about them because I do things like arrive at the boatyard in the middle of the night when nobody is around, but so far they have never questioned me about anything.
Old 15-03-2024, 06:54   #53

Boat: Alberg 37

I don't consider my dog to be a "pet". He is a family member and behaves like one. (better than the rest of my family). There is an argument to be made there. I simply don't go where he can't go. Also, getting closer to "1984".
Morris Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2024, 06:56   #54

Boat: C&C 35 MKIII
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail Send a message via Skype™ to chef2sail

So what are you advocating…a free for all. The marina is not your personal property and you don’t suffer any financial hardship if they allow people to do what they want.

Rules you consider petty may not be to others. Rules which affect the infrastructure will never be agreed upon by patrons.
The use of cameras is really an unobtrusive way of surveillance as long as it doesn’t invade your personal space. The marina is not your personal space.

Enforcement of rules is never equal. 5 speeders in a line…. The cop picks one. Maybe someone complained about the animals….thus they zerod in on it.
chef2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2024, 06:58   #55

Boat: Irwin 33 MKII

Hate to inform you, you are on camera most of the day. Marinas are no different than a lot of places, sick of people not taking care when a pet does it's business and they just leave it there. The marina has an issue where the condo owners next door walk their dogs on the boardwalk and just leave the dog poop in the middle of the boardwalk like nothing happened. It will do nothing except lead to more and more everyplace not permitting pets at all. And yeah, the camera is the way of enforcing rules without someone needing to be there 24/7, get used to it.
david78212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2024, 06:58   #56

OP, have you considered that it might not be the owners who don’t like dogs but their insurance company who is tired of paying out large claims for people’s sweet, harmless fur babies who bite/attack?
Spindrift300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2024, 07:02   #57

Boat: C&C 35 MKIII
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail Send a message via Skype™ to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wilson View Post
I don't consider my dog to be a "pet". He is a family member and behaves like one. (better than the rest of my family). There is an argument to be made there. I simply don't go where he can't go. Also, getting closer to "1984".
Sorry others don’t look at your dog as anything other than your pet. He doesn’t deserve the rights that a human has. Somewhere people have decided that they can be in stores. Not talking about service dogs here just the family Fido. People are allergic to dogs and deserve an expectation that there are areas they can be in.

Understand I love dogs. My Thor a large German Shorthaired pointer intimidates some people even though he his a friendly dog. In my owned space I can do what I want with him. In public spaces however he doesn’t get the rights a human has
chef2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2024, 07:17   #58

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

You can safely bet there was an irresponsible pet owner behind this rule. Dogs barking at every noise, while their owners were out having a sundowners at the local bar and their neighbors were trying to sleep. Owners who let their dogs and cats run free on the docks, free to use their neighbors coiled dock lines as sandboxes and dock cleats being used as urination targets. Or failing to pickup their pets feces on docks, gangways, grass and lawn areas. Or grooming their pets aboard ir on the dock and just letting the loose hair blow onto tbeir neighbor's boat. Far to often the people who object the loudest to cameras are those that push the limits on rules. I have yet to stay in a marina that didn't have their rules clearly posted. If you don't like them go somewhere else. Obviously, if the marina is still in business at the outrageous prices they are charging, there are enough boaters who have no problem with the rules.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2024, 07:28   #59

Boat: Morgan 381 38 feet

I had a tenant bring a dog on a rental property and bit a child, I was sued for $850k. Totally understand manegement decision on this. Victims family didn’t even name tenant in suit.
twig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2024, 07:30   #60

Boat: Hunter 380

Cameras are there for theft and vandalism. Period.
That has gone to extremes (the crime that is, not the cameras) in the last two decades because of some seriously distinct societal changes. The owner is not only protecting his property but also those who rent space from him. The petty owner will misuse the cameras. An even more petty one will use cameras to shut down access to pets.
grube is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, marinas, men, rule