Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2024, 12:33   #76

Boat: Alberg 37
Re: Marinas using cameras for rules enforcement

Kettlewell is RIGHT. Glad to hear someone of my background speak up. We are not anti establishment; just want things simple. Thanx.
Morris Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2024, 15:23   #77
CLOD

Boat: none

I wish there was a land rule that if your dog in the backyard barks all the time when I am in MY backyard that you had to keep your dog inside YOUR house all the time.

Dog owners ruin it for other dog owners. Just like boaters ruin it for other boaters. When you put the two together .............
Old 15-03-2024, 15:48   #78

Boat: Parkstone Bay 21

Though it may not apply in this particular case, marinas near international borders need to be especially rigorous on the "no animals" issue. So the "petty rule" may be driven by Government policy.
parkstone bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2024, 15:51   #79

Boat: Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wilson View Post
Kettlewell is RIGHT. Glad to hear someone of my background speak up. We are not anti establishment; just want things simple. Thanx.
I am anti establishment.
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2024, 16:21   #80

Once upon a time my marina put up cameras due to some break ins. There were many liveaboards there. There were many bars in the neighborhood that we all used as club houses. After a bit we witnessed marina management watching the previous evenings coming home events on tape every morning. Not for security but for fun. AMong the things they were laughing at was who was coming home with who and similar. It didn't take long. Just a bit later someone stole the entire security system. The thing is that there was no sign of anyone breaking in. the entire thing just disapeared. Just a suggestion.
SUNCAT365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2024, 16:22   #81

Boat: Sabre 426

A marina has the right to ban pets, and I have the right to go to a different marina.

That said, I have a camera on my boat, and it made it amazingly easy for me to get a less-than-scrupulous contractor to compensate me when I showed him that his technician had, in fact, caused the damage that I claimed he had.

If I have a camera on my private property (my boat) to protect my interests, it's hard to denounce a marina owner who does the same.
NautiDog426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2024, 18:42   #82

Nah, **** pets. **** dog and cat **** everywhere.
cakesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2024, 19:17   #83

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mathis View Post
Many marinas now have cameras but this is the first report of using them to enforce rules. Most are there to discourage thefts and detect boats coming in to dock after closing time then leaving early to avoid paying the dock fees.
What's the world coming to?
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2024, 19:38   #84

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
What's the world coming to?

Could it be a government sponsor program?

I see cameras were I live recentely. Where’s the money and why it was allocated makes me wonder in my environment.
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2024, 21:26   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Last summer a fellow boater was singled out by management for violating the marina's unusually strong blanket prohibition on pets. Management is rarely on site and only became aware of the violation by reviewing camera footage.

I find this to be a disturbing extension of a societal trend; many apartment and condo managers have started using cameras not for safety or for investigation of criminal acts but rather for enforcement of petty rules against their own residents, particularly residents that they find unprofitable or burdensome for reasons unrelated to the actual rules violation being enforced.

Every marina I've stayed at has a long list of rules that are not universally followed, among them restrictions on maintenance and repair, limits on guests, limits on parking, and in some cases curfew times after which access to and from the marina is closed whether by land or sea. In essence everyone who uses their boat regularly is in violation some of the time.

Wondering if others are encountering this brave new world.
Time to cast out of there.
geoleo is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, marinas, men, rule