Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2018, 12:11   #16

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Re: Maine & Canada Cruising Ideas Please

Passamaquoddy Bay, Grand Manan, St Johns River are all off the beaten path.

Maine is beautiful cruising. The closer to the Canadian border you get the quieter it is. Past Petit Manan You will find find Roque Island and its white sand beach.

We will be in Boothbay and East in late August and Early September.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 05:15   #17

When cruising Nova Scotia, especially Cape Breton, look up the schedules for the music festivals, and local music events. Folk Harbor Festival in Lunenberg is a great weekend, also Boxwood. Kitchenfest in Cape Breton is a week of concerts all over the island. And almost any pub, any time, you can hear world class fiddlers. When you get to the outposts on Newfoundland, you will be invited to every birthday party, anniversary celebration in the little fishing towns.

In Newfoundland, don’t skip Gran Bruit, a depopulated village along the south coast. It’s an experience. Read up on the history of the rise and fall of the fishing industry of the Maritimes.
george2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 05:56   #18
cruiser

Thanks very much for all the great info so far, please keep it coming. My first thought starting out this late, is to immediately head to Newfoundland, spend four weeks there, then start working our way back south.

When does the weather along Maine begin to get too cold to be enjoyable? Here in Massachusetts, most of the boats seem to be hauled out by early October. If you know of a good shipyard in New Hampshire for winter haul out, please chime in.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 06:08   #19

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Newfoundland provides incredible cruising opportunities. We found no place as interesting to cruise in our circumnavigation. Nothing wrong with Maine or Nova Scotia, just not in the same league. We found the CCA guide useful but old. If you are members of the Seven Seas Cruising Association you would likely find good info in their monthly publications. Anchoring is often difficult because of the great depths in the fiords but you can tie up at town docks in small outports both those that are inhabited and those (many) that are abandoned. St Pierre is like a village in Normandy with good restaurants and decent shopping.
Old 29-06-2018, 10:49   #20

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon

I had my boat in until end of October and it was just sweat shirt weather at Robinhood Marina. Wish I had left it in couple more weeks. But who knows for sure.
Old 29-06-2018, 11:05   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJamesCook View Post
I had my boat in until end of October and it was just sweat shirt weather at Robinhood Marina. Wish I had left it in couple more weeks. But who knows for sure.
James,

But you look ready for the North Pole, and I’m a mere mortal here in Massachusetts. For us it’ll be important to be one of the last boats in so we can be one of the first boats launched next Spring to continue the adventure.

We don’t mind a little cold, thanks for your contribution.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 13:06   #22

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"When does the weather along Maine begin to get too cold to be enjoyable? Here in Massachusetts, most of the boats seem to be hauled out by early October. If you know of a good shipyard in New Hampshire for winter haul out, please chime in." Kenomac

We're headed North. We just sailed at night through the Straits of Mackinaw headed to Lake Huron a few days ago: water temperature 44 degrees, air temperature 48 degrees, a fifteen-knot wind on the nose for over 80 miles until it veered more south. We wear full thermal underwear, Polartec clothes and foul weather gear with a Balaclava for face protection. We were quite comfortable. When it warmed into the low 60s's during the day, we thought we were back in the Bahamas. We hope to be in the Gulf of St; Lawrence by August. True Nordic sailing. Good luck and safe sailing . . . Rognvald
Old 29-06-2018, 13:54   #23

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

North of Maine,it is not the temp that makes things unpleasant first-it is the wind.
July & Aug-you often pray for wind. By Sept,you start to get days of 20-25kt, & possible short term storms or even the tail of a hurricane.
The ocean water temp is between 40-45 deg F & that keeps the air temp hi 50's-lo 60's away from land.
That cooler air makes a 25kt blow substantially stronger than what is experienced in warmer southern latitudes.
Maine can stay nicer later.
You probably should consider NFLD earlier & work your way back south later.
Also,you are talking a lot of coastline/long trip from N.H. around NFLD & back.
One way is nearly equivalent N.H.-Fla.
Len
Old 29-06-2018, 14:10   #24

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

https://www.facebook.com/cruisingclubnotredamebay/

Tags
Canada, cruising, lease, maine