Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2019, 08:19   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Health support for us seniors

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
Mac,
90% of the pharmacies in the Pacific will fill a script from your old bottle. Otherwise you visit a local doctor and he and the drugs are often cheaper than US co-pay.

Having records, X-ray copies etc is a good idea.
90% of the pharmacies in Guate will fill it w no script at all! [emoji2] Some drugs excluded of course.

Except in Guate City where there are more professional pharmacies which are more regulated.

USA Consulates along the way can be a good source of information on common practices in country and they usually will provide a list of healthcare providers too.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 09:48   #17

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

In many (most) countries you don't even need a prescription for many common meds. If hard drugs, or course, but otherwise can get things like blood pressure meds over the counter. Easier if you have an old bottle so the pharmacy can confirm the dosage.

Of course the above varies by country so need to check specifics.

Also, in many countries travelers cannot bring in meds in someone else's name. Usually don't check, but if declared or found there is a good chance they will be confiscated, and possibility of a fine being imposed.

Bill
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 12:10   #18

Boat: Corbin 39 / 41.5 LOA

Would DAN repatriation insurance also be suggested for extended trip to The Bahamas ?
Old 25-06-2019, 13:36   #19
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

You may be surprised to find how much cheaper your meds are outside the US, and how many meds can be obtained without a prescription in some countries. While in Peru, I got a nagging cough and went to pharmacy to get some of the whimpy across-the-counter cough meds I'm used to in the US. The puzzled pharmacist didn't recognize any of the brand names I requested. When I told her what I needed them for, she said: "Just buy the codeine over there on the shelf. Do you also need antibiotics? They're on the shelf too." I thought: "So this is where antibiotic-resistant germs are born."

If you must buy your meds in the US, get a private post office service (like UPS Store) and use that address for everything. Then set up refills to be mailed to that address. The private post office will happily (for a fee) forward your mailbox contents to anywhere in the world via UPS/FedEx/Express Mail (your choice). You may encounter Customs issues on a country-by-country basis, but unless you are importing opioids or other narcotics, there should be workarounds.

Inform your doctor what you are doing to minimize any follow-up office visits for refills.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 13:55   #20
CLOD

Boat: none

Maybe the first thing to do if you are on an expensive drug is to look into it to see if there an older drug (you know the proven ones we know a lot about) to replace the one you are on.

I would never take a non generic drug unless it was proven to not work. Heck 10 years ago that generic drug was a wonder drug.
Old 25-06-2019, 14:05   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Maybe the first thing to do if you are on an expensive drug is to look into it to see if there an older drug (you know the proven ones we know a lot about) to replace the one you are on.

I would never take a non generic drug unless it was proven to not work. Heck 10 years ago that generic drug was a wonder drug.

What are you trying to do, kill capitalism?
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 14:21   #22
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
What are you trying to do, kill capitalism?
No

But I think you are confusing "capitalism" and "free markets"

I'm on the "standard" drugs for a 59 year old who has had a heart attack. My insurance pays for them, but if I had to I can come up with the $33 every 90 days for the generic drugs I'm on. It looked up the price for the "new and improved" versions and it is a LOT more.
Old 25-06-2019, 15:44   #23

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:

I'm on one of those expensive newer drugs. It is far better than the older ones that require periodic blood tests and dosage readjustment. It costs usd$450 a month in the US at the cheapest pharmacy I can find. I just bought six months worth in Australia for usd$350. That's 350 for all 6 months, not one month. And this is without any subsidy. The US system is just broken,
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 09:53   #24

Quote:
No

But I think you are confusing "capitalism" and "free markets"

I'm on the "standard" drugs for a 59 year old who has had a heart attack. My insurance pays for them, but if I had to I can come up with the $33 every 90 days for the generic drugs I'm on. It looked up the price for the "new and improved" versions and it is a LOT more.
Actually, I was joking. I forgot to use the "sarcasm" font.

Capitalism is based on free markets, and not to be confused with the pharmaceutical industry in the U.S., where transparency and consumer choice aren't the significant factors.

How is it that the U.S. is 50% of the pharmaceutical consumption, but pays more for pharmaceuticals than other countries? It's madness. The U.S. consumer, in a free market, would have some influence on prices. The prices SHOULD be the cheapest. Yet nobody even knows what anything costs, or why. And the system is designed specifically to prevent most people from caring about prices, even as pharmaceuticals are the most advertised product on American TV.

Which is why Florida just passed a law to allow consumers to purchase drugs from Canada.

This is the very definition of a broken market.

I believe we're in agreement, even as we've strayed from the topic.
Old 26-06-2019, 10:27   #25

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
How is it that the U.S. is 50% of the pharmaceutical consumption, but pays more for pharmaceuticals than other countries? It's madness.
Healthcare in the US is heavily regulated. It is not a free market by design. Also, legal systems and laws differ by country. Therefore, comparing product cost without also understanding the total market environment is pointless.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 11:06   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Healthcare in the US is heavily regulated. It is not a free market by design. Also, legal systems and laws differ by country. Therefore, comparing product cost without also understanding the total market environment is pointless.
Yes, it's heavily regulated. Well, except negotiating the cost of pharmaceuticals. And it isn't a free market, by design. Which was my point. Because it was designed by the health care industry.

The biggest market in the world for pharmaceuticals shouldn't be the most expensive. If it is, we're doing something wrong. Like not paying attention.

The U.S. has a representative government. But who are the people who regulate the industry representing?

Comparing costs isn't pointless. It's a way to see how well an industry or market or system is serving us.
Old 26-06-2019, 11:28   #27

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Yes, it's heavily regulated. Well, except negotiating cost of pharmaceuticals. And it isn't a free market, by design. Which was my point. Because it was designed by the health care industry.

The biggest market in the world for pharmaceuticals shouldn't be the most expensive. If it is, we're doing something wrong. Like not paying attention.

The U.S. has a representative government. But who are the people who regulate the industry representing?
Easy, follow the money, our "representives" represent those who put the most $$$s in their pockets. In this case, that would be Big Phram. We have ruled that legally Corporations = People...adds a whole new spin on "By the people, for the people".
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 10:52   #28

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

I believe the OP was concerned about availability more than price. One nice thing about many foreign countries is that you can buy prescription drugs without having the prescription, I suppose as long as they are the non addictive type. But you won't know until you get there and try.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 15:00   #29

Boat: Valiant 42

Every year it gets harder to obtain prescription drugs without a valid script. I visit a fair number of countries each year and whereas 10-15 years ago we could buy pretty much any normal prescription drug (antibiotics, blood pressure, blood thinners, antifungals ,etc.) without a script, today it is much harder. I predict this trend will continue.

If you are on maintenance drugs taken daily then it would be a good idea to research doctors that can handle an absentee patient. Most insurance plans will not allow doctors to write scripts if they have not physically seen the patient in X days. Typical values of X are 30, 60 and 90 days.

So you may want to see if you can find a doctor who will be able to give you a refill script after a virtual office visit on Skype or WhatsApp. Some doctors will do that if you can give them your daily vitals and have a video chat. But not very many will do that.

I haven’t checked lately but you may be able to get one of the mail forwarding services to handle non-narcotic prescription refills obtained from a mail order service. I think there are legal issues surrounding narcotic prescriptions shipped outside the US so YMMV. Check them out to see who is flexible on what they will forward.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 03:37   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
... Which is why Florida just passed a law to allow consumers to purchase drugs from Canada ...
Even tho' generally cheaper than in the US, Canadian drug prices are still fairly high by international standards.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
health