Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2021, 13:07   #151

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202
Re: Feds Seek Info on Manatee Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Cleaning up the Everglades, or trying to do so, as been going on for DECADES with billions of dollars being being spent. When I left Florida decades ago, there was a plan in place to filter the water from The Lake through water management areas. The water has too much nutrients so the plan was to flow the water into diked water management areas full of Cat tails which would remove the nutrients before the water went into the main areas of the Everglades.

Environmental groups did not like this plan and sued. As a result, the water was dumped into the St Lucie river instead of south into the Everglades. This has caused the blooms in the Indian River, killed off the grass, and now threatens the Manatees. Now there is a plan to feed the Manatees so they do not starve.

Now the Indian River has too much nutrient rich waters and the Everglades does not have enough water.

Later,
Dan
Yes?
And where do the "nutrients come from"?
Loads of condos and Golf Courses!
Rich with nitrogen runoff.
Man made problems.
Natural filtration cannot work in Pre Industrial areas.

It's why we have exclusion zones, or planning.
Horrible leadership geared toward tourism and growth in Florida.
Not rebalancing the natural ecosystem.

Admit the mistakes and steps can be taken to modify toward repair.
Why do they even watch the Decline of These Animals if not to do something about that decline.

Florida will be mostly underwater as the Doomday Iceburg is ready to fall off the ice shelf and raise the sea level round the Planet, A Full meter!

Lovely...
Nature is Our Tireless Ruler.
Happy Holidays Folks.

Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2021, 13:22   #152
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Three things some may not have known, about manatees:

1. Manatees are aquatic herbivores (plant-eaters). Also known as "sea cows," these herbivores usually spend up to eight hours a day grazing on seagrasses, and other aquatic plants. A manatee can consume from 5 to 15 percent of its body weight in aquatic vegetation daily.
They wouldn't eat shark chum.

2. Manatees use their tails in an up and down motion to propel themselves forward. Although manatees can swim up to 15 miles per hour, in very short bursts, their general speed is a slow putter, at three to five miles an hour. By comparison, a Roomba vacuum cleaner tops out at speeds of 3.8 mph.
Manatees rest from 2 to 12 hours a day, either suspended near the water's surface, or lying on the bottom, usually for several hours at a time.

3. Manatees have only six cervical (neck) vertebrae. As a result, manatees cannot turn their heads sideways; they must turn their whole body around to look behind them. Most other mammals have seven.

Bonus factoid:
Manatees aren't afraid of anything, not even alligators. Their typical strategy for dealing with obstacles, is to gently bump/nudge them, out their way.

Due to points 2, 3, & 4, they're not very good boat dodgers.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2021, 13:28   #153

Boat: Bateau FS17

TIL that 'Roomba' has become a unit of speed.
I love learning new units of measurement and have long used the 'Ring Pop' as a unit of measurement for monetary value, weight, length, volume, and energy with my son and co-workers.
Narfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2021, 14:02   #154

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Yes?

Florida will be mostly underwater as the Doomday Iceburg is ready to fall off the ice shelf and raise the sea level round the Planet, A Full meter!

Happy Holidays Folks.

Boatyarddog

The nitrogen comes from the tomato and other farms in the middle of the state not condos. How would a condo bleed off nitrogen?
The Doomday iceburg as you called it is already floating therefore already displacing as much water as it is going to therefore no sea level rise.
Any other completely wrong facts you'd care to interject into the convo, perhaps something along the lines of an alien invasion against the unvaxxed?
Old 23-12-2021, 14:37   #155

Boat: Donelle 35 Cruiser

In the animal kingdom - life and death is a natural and often needed cycle of life.

We are not talking about extinction - we are talking about population growth and decline. I am not sure why we would feed anything that is wild. You are creating an imbalance - you may not like it but you are introducing an imbalance that will cause unintended consequences.

Removing wolves from Yellowstone had unintended consequences - by ignoring history you are doomed to repeat it. So I just want to know why you think it would be different this time around?
Love2 boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 02:15   #156
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
... The Doomday iceburg as you called it is already floating therefore already displacing as much water as it is going to therefore no sea level rise.
The, so-called “Doomsday Glacier” [NOT Iceberg] is actually the Thwaites Glacier.
The glacier is known as the 'Doomsday Glacier’ because if it were to break up entirely, global sea levels would rise by 2+ feet.

Its collapse could also trigger a string of glacial collapses in Western Antarctica, and if the surrounding glaciers were to fail, with the Thwaites, global sea levels could rise by up to 10 feet.

Cracks and fissures have opened up, both on top of and underneath, the Thwaites glacier, one of the biggest in the world, and it is feared that parts of it may fracture, and collapse, possibly within five years or less.

Thwaites is about the size of Britain, and contains enough water, on its own, to raise sea levels worldwide by more than two feet. It contributes about 4% of annual global sea level rise, and has been called the most important glacier in the world, even the “doomsday” glacier. Satellite studies show it is melting far faster than it did in the 1990s.

Should Thwaites fall apart, scientists believe the others would speed up, leading to the collapse of the whole ice sheet, and catastrophic global sea level rises of ten feet.

Should all West Antarctica’s glaciers ever collapse, there is no coastal city in the world that would not, over time, be swamped, at ruinous cost to life and economies.

Old 24-12-2021, 05:18   #157

The glacier is known as the 'Doomsday Glacier’ because if it were to break up entirely, global sea levels would rise by 2+ feet.

Gord, Considering the glacier moves about 1.2 miles a YEAR, and is the size of Britain. It will be quite some time before it breaks up entirely as the Britain sized part of it is way up on land.
The part that is "ready" in the next five years to break off is the already floating bit that is already displacing it's volume.

Old 24-12-2021, 05:44   #158
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The Thwaites Glacier loses about 50 billion tons of land bound ice, into the ocean, every year.
Researchers estimate that contribution would increase substantially, when the glacier’s floating ice shelf breaks apart. When the dam breaks, ice from higher elevations will flow down into the ocean.
The glacier is currently held back by a the floating ice shelf [to which jeanathon refers], that is held in place by an underwater mountain.

If Twaites were to beak up entirely, and release all its water into the ocean, sea levels worldwide would rise by more than 2 feet (65 centimeters), said ITGC lead coordinator Ted Scambos, one of the presenters at AGU and a senior research scientist at the Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES).

"And it could lead to even more sea-level rise, up to 10 feet [3 m], if it draws the surrounding glaciers with it," Scambos said in a statement, referring to the weakening effect one ice shelf collapse can have on other nearby glaciers.

The Threat from Thwaites: The Retreat of Antarctica’s Riskiest Glacier
https://cires.colorado.edu/news/thre...skiest-glacier

Of course, none of this has any bearing on the current Manatee’s Unusual Mortality Event (UME), due [largely] to loss of seagrass.
This loss of seagrass is due to complex water quality, and ecological factors, involving high nutrient loads going into coastal waters, causing harmful algae blooms, and low water clarity, limiting light for submerged plants.

Old 24-12-2021, 07:01   #159

Just maybe the Manatee wasn't disturbed; maybe it liked it's back scratched. Maybe that's why it didn't move and allowed the political-baiter to finish his wording.
I keep reading from posters that it was disturbed. How do they know it was disturbed? I've never been around manatees but I grew up on a farm and every animal I know likes to be scratched. I agree that everyone should abide by the laws pertaining to the manatees and the perp should be fined at least but not have his huevos dislocated.

I know when my wife scratches my back, I don't move; I just lay there and smile and say...yeah..right there...over to right..little to left..yeah right there.
Old 24-12-2021, 07:12   #160
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Q: Why do women scratch their eyes, when they wake up?
A: No balls.

Old 26-12-2021, 12:10   #161
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Feds Seek Info on Manatee Crime

Quote:
Yes?
Man made problems.
Natural filtration cannot work in Pre Industrial areas.

It's why we have exclusion zones, or planning.
Horrible leadership geared toward tourism and growth in Florida.
Not rebalancing the natural ecosystem.

Admit the mistakes and steps can be taken to modify toward repair.
Why do they even watch the Decline of These Animals if not to do something about that decline.

Lovely...
Nature is Our Tireless Ruler.
Happy Holidays Folks.

Boatyarddog
More likely the unregulated Phosphate mining going on across Florida with all that toxic waste being dumped into the water system..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2021, 12:31   #162

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
The nitrogen comes from the tomato and other farms in the middle of the state not condos. How would a condo bleed off nitrogen?
The Doomday iceburg as you called it is already floating therefore already displacing as much water as it is going to therefore no sea level rise.
Any other completely wrong facts you'd care to interject into the convo, perhaps something along the lines of an alien invasion against the unvaxxed?
Yes, there you go commenting on that which your some what misinformed on.
So without explaining every aspect of release of nitrogen, farms yes somewhat, more on the Dairy farm end.
Condos are often built on fill and surrounded by golf courses in low lying areas of Fla.
The "doomsday glacier is an ice shelf poised over a part of Antarctica, is being under mined by warmer ocean currents and is approx the size of Florida.
When it falls, Approx 5 to 10 yrs, the sea level will rise.
You'll know when that happens, hasn't yet.
As well, nitrogen is flushed out by flooding in heavy rains from sewage plants in Fla.
A lot of sources there, this is the kind of pollution that is having affect.
If you plan on being rude, I will not interject that upon you.
I simply won't answer to that BS, here.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2021, 13:38   #163
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
More likely the unregulated Phosphate mining going on across Florida with all that toxic waste being dumped into the water system..
I was surprised to see that the ‘Indian River Lagoon Encyclopedia’ [Nutrient pollution] webpage didn’t mention Phosphate mining, as a nutrient pollution source.
The primary sources of excess nitrogen and phosphorus [they & others listed] are:
Agriculture Nutrient Pollution
Stormwater Nutrient Pollution
Residential Nutrient Pollution
Fossil Fuel Nutrient Pollution
https://indianriverlagoonnews.org/gu...ient_Pollution

Nor do these others:

https://indianriverlagoonnews.org/gu...ient_Pollution

https://www.f4zero.org/2020/07/irl.html

https://www.brevardfl.gov/docs/defau...rsn=ad103802_4

“Florida's Phosphate Mines” ~ Florida Department of Environmental Protection [DEP]
There are 27 phosphate mines in Florida, covering more than 450,000 acres. Nine phosphate mines are currently active. Nine mines are 100 percent reclaimed and released from reclamation obligations. The remaining mines are either not started or are shut down. Phosphate mines typically range in size from approximately 5,000 to 100,000 acres.
Phosphate mining disturbs between 3,000 to 6,000 acres annually in Florida. Approximately 25-30% of these lands are wetlands or other surface waters.
https://floridadep.gov/water/mining-...tent/phosphate

“Environmental impact of phosphate mining and beneficiation: review” ~ by Gebrehiwet Reta et al [2018]
“concerns about the impact of phosphate mining and processing typically emphasis on its potential effects on water pollution, air pollution, and human health ...
... According to the reviewed results the major environmental impacts of phosphate mining and processing on the water resources were: impacts on the hydrology by phosphate industry water usage and landscape changes, and impacts on water quality by discharges of industry wastewater into the waterways ...”

https://medcraveonline.com/IJH/envir...hosphate-minin

Old 26-12-2021, 13:49   #164
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Feds Seek Info on Manatee Crime

Mosaic... the largest Phosphate mining group, conveniently allowed to do its own analysis and self regulation.

https://www.sarasotamagazine.com/new...dee%20counties.

Grease the right palms and everything goes away..
Meanwhile the cancer rates in local people are 6 times + over the national averages across all ages..
RT is doing a documentary on the subject 27th/28th December.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2021, 13:50   #165

Quote:
Yes, there you go commenting on that which your some what misinformed on.
So without explaining every aspect of release of nitrogen, farms yes somewhat, more on the Dairy farm end.
Condos are often built on fill and surrounded by golf courses in low lying areas of Fla.
The "doomsday glacier is an ice shelf poised over a part of Antarctica, is being under mined by warmer ocean currents and is approx the size of Florida.
When it falls, Approx 5 to 10 yrs, the sea level will rise.
You'll know when that happens, hasn't yet.
As well, nitrogen is flushed out by flooding in heavy rains from sewage plants in Fla.
A lot of sources there, this is the kind of pollution that is having affect.
If you plan on being rude, I will not interject that upon you.
I simply won't answer to that BS, here.
Boatyarddog
My apologies if I was rude. I certainly don't plan on it. Just kinda happens. I'd like to think I was direct, maybe lacking in tact, but not rude. Wishful thinking on my part.
Saying condos are built in low lying areas of Florida is like saying the world is round. Still don't see how that applies to excess nitrogen in the water.

And again the part of the glacier that CAN break off is already floating. Don't let it keep you up at night...
Growing up in Merritt Island I remember the Indian River as being a lot less clear. Then there was a lessening of phospates being dumped by municipalities leading to clearer water with an excess of nitrogen that can now cause the blooms. Keep putting one foot in front of the other till we get it right unless of course that floating glacier sweeps down upon us...