Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2022, 10:46   #241

Re: Encouraging live aboards

Which are my points exactly. YOU have lots of experience, YOU know the rules of the road, YOU monitor the radio. Not everyone who labels themselves as boaters do or know this. The OP was implying that only boaters have business on boats. But not everyone who says they are boaters are have these same skills.

As.for SOLAS, yes it is for commercial boats, but, the basics takeaway is that SOLAS has requirements for radar reflectors for increased visibility and emergency raft requirements. Both additions to the requirements for vessels over 50 feet seem like a pretty good idea to me and makes my vessel meet SOLAS standards which makes me feel a little more comfortable and MY preference. But to be a "boater" and not even know what SOLAS is, is a little questionable.

The Wynns are commercialized because, again, it is their lively hood, their source of income. If you don't like them, don't watch them.

Many people I have encountered on the water doing something stupid has been happy to point out to me how long they have been boating and they know what they doing.
ccanupii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 11:00   #242
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccanupii View Post
Which are my points exactly. YOU have lots of experience, YOU know the rules of the road, YOU monitor the radio. Not everyone who labels themselves as boaters do or know this. The OP was implying that only boaters have business on boats. But not everyone who says they are boaters are have these same skills.

As.for SOLAS, yes it is for commercial boats, but, the basics takeaway is that SOLAS has requirements for radar reflectors for increased visibility and emergency raft requirements. Both additions to the requirements for vessels over 50 feet seem like a pretty good idea to me and makes my vessel meet SOLAS standards which makes me feel a little more comfortable and MY preference. But to be a "boater" and not even know what SOLAS is, is a little questionable.

The Wynns are commercialized because, again, it is their lively hood, their source of income. If you don't like them, don't watch them.

Many people I have encountered on the water doing something stupid has been happy to point out to me how long they have been boating and they know what they doing.
At times I have sailed on the most powerful ships on the planet but we were still dwarfed by the sea and thrown around like a toy.

That said you do whatever makes you feel safe for you and your family on your vessel.

As to people living on boats vs being a liveaboard. Is a major chasam in difference.

In my region most marinas require that each vessel be capable of getting underway on its own power. If need arises. And all vessels anchored out must move a minimum of 5 nm every 30 days .
Old 11-11-2022, 01:46   #243

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
The average house price where I live is now $1,200,000

My boat cost around 1/40th of that
Pretty much true..
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 04:34   #244
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Encouraging live aboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
I agree with Mike about being smaller. Our whole life is small, car, house and boat. No place for consumerism when you do not have the room for anything but the basics regardless of if you live onshore or onboard a boat.

Cheers

Sure what I don’t spend on a new settee at home I’ll spend twice covering the boat ones. Consumerism hah “ fermez le vache”
Old 11-11-2022, 06:53   #245
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Sure what I don’t spend on a new settee at home I’ll spend twice covering the boat ones. Consumerism hah “ fermez le vache”
And 80% of that is labor cost . Learn to sew will save you thousands over time.
Even makes me a little on the side
Old 11-11-2022, 07:16   #246

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by svadagiomaine View Post

It’s hard to find a pure sailing video these days that isn’t selling the #boatlife fantasy or the #bikinigirls fantasy.
How about that real life viking Erik on NBJS (no bulshit, just sailing) or the Finnish guy Juho and now gf on Alluring Arctic. There is also that French chap who sailed through the Arctic with a chicken for company. Superbly filmed with little if no talking.

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 07:57   #247

Boat: 1982 Morgan OI 416

Regarding the OP post.... The Wynns (and many others) have evolved past the majority of us and are promoting some unrealistic concepts and approaches to "living aboard."

But as some have stated..... Youtube is a free-for-all of legitimate information, absurdities and everything in between. Spending any amount of intellectual angst about it is by its self another absurdity.

Regarding this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
My life on my boat is waaaay cheaper than life on land. It’s not even close.

Agreed!!!! Though I figure that this is also subjective. But in my case........

My first year has passed and it did not cost me any more than my land life annually was costing.

Quick example....
A marina slip fee on the mouth of the Ct. River at Old Saybrook on the L.I. Sound is $6200/ season on the low end of the pricing scale. Many of the marina's here are running closer to $10K/ season.

I can/t afford that so I am on a mooring there and I still pay $2500/ season.

"Season"= 1 April - 15 November.And then I will either find someplace south (not an option this year) or pay $2300 to have her hauled out and put on the hard until April.

So in my case, just using this cost measure, my Annual cost was $4800. I am pretty sure sailing south of the N.E US/ NY metropolitan area will result in a measurable saving just on this topic alone.

I fully anticipate that it (costs) will go down measurably in all measures going forward since I am currently in the North East US. Specifically Old Lyme/ Old Saybrook Connecticut on the east end of the L.I. Sound and I live "Upstate NY." ...... The plan A is selling that in 2023 and is not part of my factoring for the cost of boating full time.

Obviously I'm projecting costs/ expenses but leaving this area of the US will, in-and-of-itself, be a cost saving.

And yes, if what some of the folks here have suggested the first 2 years of boat ownership are the most expenses for all the usual reasons (upgrades, repairs etc., etc.) then I absolutely anticipate that my cost of living (aboard) will be less expensive annually.
S/V Selene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 08:13   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Selene View Post
Regarding the OP post.... The Wynns (and many others) have evolved past the majority of us and are promoting some unrealistic concepts and approaches to "living aboard."

But as some have stated..... Youtube is a free-for-all of legitimate information, absurdities and everything in between. Spending any amount of intellectual angst about it is by its self another absurdity.

Regarding this:

Agreed!!!! Though I figure that this is also subjective. But in my case........

My first year has passed and it did not cost me any more than my land life annually was costing.

Quick example....
A marina slip fee on the mouth of the Ct. River at Old Saybrook on the L.I. Sound is $6200/ season on the low end of the pricing scale. Many of the marina's here are running closer to $10K/ season.

I can/t afford that so I am on a mooring there and I still pay $2500/ season.

And forget about the year 'round liveaboard.

I fully anticipate that it (costs) will go down measurably going forward since I am currently in the northeast US. Specifically Old Lyme/ Old Saybrook Connecticut on the east end of the L.I. Sound and I live "Upstate NY." ...... The plan A is selling that in 2023.

Obviously I'm projecting costs/ expenses but leaving this area of the US will, in-and-of-itself, be a cost saving.

And yes, if what some of the folks here have suggested the first 2 years of boat ownership are the most expenses for all the usual reasons (upgrades, repairs etc., etc.) then I absolutely anticipate that my cost of living (aboard) will be less expensive annually.

I recently ran across a YouTube vid of the TOP 10 Income Sailing Channels. There is no way the Wynn’s are paying for their lifestyle off of YouTube Income! Sailing Uma was in the top 5 and they had under $100k income. I don’t even think the Wynn’s were in the top 10. Yes the top 2 we’re making $100’s of thousands but those are top 2!

Many of these use YouTube to write off their costs against income. Great Tax Deduction if Uncle Sam is paying for you to live on a boat.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 08:21   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happ View Post
I recently ran across a YouTube vid of the TOP 10 Income Sailing Channels. There is no way the Wynn’s are paying for their lifestyle off of YouTube Income! Sailing Uma was in the top 5 and they had under $100k income. I don’t even think the Wynn’s were in the top 10. Yes the top 2 we’re making $100’s of thousands but those are top 2!

Many of these use YouTube to write off their costs against income. Great Tax Deduction if Uncle Sam is paying for you to live on a boat.
Youtube direct income is typically a small portion.

Ads during videos are often a separate payout.

There is a lot of cross marketing with instagram, tiktoc, patron, etc.., then they often have an amazon store selling merchandise.

Then you have all the new stuff that they forget to mention or gloss over that they get for free or at deep discount for gushing about how great it is on their channel.

Getting legitimate income estimates from a youtube channel is murky business.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 08:40   #250

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happ View Post

I've not watched any of them but the big money for influencers are usually how much they get paid for promoting certain brands.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 09:21   #251

Boat: Rafiki 37

Nicely put Ed (S/V Selene). As was already mentioned earlier, living on a boat can certainly be much cheaper than living on land, but it very much depends on lifestyle, location, and choices. It could also swing the other way. It all depends on how one chooses to live.
Old 18-11-2022, 10:05   #252
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post

There is a lot of cross marketing with instagram, tiktoc, patron, etc.., then they often have an amazon store selling merchandise.

Then you have all the new stuff that they forget to mention or gloss over that they get for free or at deep discount for gushing about how great it is on their channel.

Gone with the wynns on patreon
1615 subscribers at minimum of 2 dollars per video so 3k or so ( after fees ) per video.
All the way up to a few subs at 250 per video
I would have to estimate they receive 6k per video
Old 18-11-2022, 19:54   #253

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post

Actually, it's not murky business, but hard work.
Ever made a real 20min video?

Takes an aweful lot of work and requires you to film endless amounts of time per minute.
Playing all those other platforms requires even more time.
If you create a video per week it's a full time job.

Regarding Patreon and people being rather arrogant about it, well, noone is forced to contribute and noone is neither forced to watch YouTube, buy merchandise or shop through affiliate links.
It's a choice, and some folks are happy to contribute for a 20min video or the adventure behind it.
Old 18-11-2022, 21:12   #254

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Actually, it's not murky business, but hard work.
Ever made a real 20min video?

Takes an aweful lot of work and requires you to film endless amounts of time per minute.
Sailing Uma put out this:

Followed by this in which they explained how they did it:

Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2022, 03:17   #255
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
Sailing Uma put out this:

Followed by this in which they explained how they did it:

Wow 30 minutes of my life utterly wasted. Where do they find these people.

Tags
enc, Live aboard