Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2020, 20:28   #31

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Dinghy Dreams Followers

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamber View Post
He was right to do what he did. By posting the antifa symbol she is openly supporting a movement that attacks people because in their words "speech has consequences." She calls for violence by saying "No Justice No Peace," since if she is not for peace, then she is for violence.

Would she cheer if the boatyard got torched like the downtowns?

First of all there is not an antifa symbol...it's an anarchy symbol. There was at least 10 ways you could have expressed your opinion. You seem to have stepped it up to a much larger proportion than it really warranted. This forum is more about getting along and having an opinion rather than stirring the pot.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 17-09-2020, 21:15   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Is this not about Emily anymore? I think that's her name. Had Thanksgiving with her a few years ago.

Was memorable.
Old 17-09-2020, 21:32   #33

Seems really petty to me. Some people need to get a life.
Old 18-09-2020, 00:12   #34
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Reefer View Post
Seems really petty to me. Some people need to get a life.
^^ This. A business owner needs a thicker skin. If it bugs you, splash the boat a little sooner.

As for those who feel they brought it on themselves, would you have said the same thing if the slogan was MAGA or the symbol a Confederate flag? I didn't think so. How one-sided.
Old 18-09-2020, 02:25   #35

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
This forum is more about getting along and having an opinion rather than stirring the pot.
I would suggest that spray painting your boat with divisive slogans IS stirring the pot..........
Old 18-09-2020, 04:28   #36

Boat: Hans Christian 33t

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
^^ This. A business owner needs a thicker skin. If it bugs you, splash the boat a little sooner.

As for those who feel they brought it on themselves, would you have said the same thing if the slogan was MAGA or the symbol a Confederate flag? I didn't think so. How one-sided.
Oddly, yes. I would have. I still would wager that an argument started and things were said by both sides leading to the escalation and this end result.
If an owner asks you to remove political stuff, you can choose to not and then take your business elsewhere or just take a maga/kaga etc flag down.
Old 18-09-2020, 06:45   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post

Very, very petty. I think they call these types of people snowflakes.

I wish her luck.
Old 18-09-2020, 07:05   #38

Quote:
He was right to do what he did. By posting the antifa symbol she is openly supporting a movement that attacks people because in their words "speech has consequences." She calls for violence by saying "No Justice No Peace," since if she is not for peace, then she is for violence.

Going by this standard then anything supporting Trump is pretty much right out, given the things he’s said and supported. (And no, you can’t say ‘but he was joking!’ as a defense as your standards for the boat paint don’t allow that it too could have been a ‘joke.’)

Like, this goes both ways.
Old 18-09-2020, 07:10   #39

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSMFP View Post

I wish her luck.
According to the urban dictionary, a snowflake is Someone who is easily hurt or offended by the statements or actions of others.*
A business owner who can see the ramifications of other businesses as it relates to a few of these *messages* would not fall under the definition of snowflake.
As a business owner, the current C-19 has seen our numbers down some 256% in some months. Really never dreamed that would be possible. I would not appreciate ANY political or divisive attention drawn to our business. Given the context, receiving a discount in these already hard times, then the potential liability of the messages displayed...just not a good situation.
The owner handled it badly.
Free Speech does not include racism, many forms of hate speech, inciting violence, etc. It is reasonable to compare the graffiti to a sign (while on the hard) and it would not be legal to place such a sign on another person's property, even if you used your own material.
I personally am always amused when self proclaimed anarchists get upset when others refuse to surrender their rights to support the anarchist.
Old 18-09-2020, 07:15   #40

Boat: Hans Christian 33t

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateFoxy View Post
Going by this standard then anything supporting Trump is pretty much right out, given the things he’s said and supported. (And no, you can’t say ‘but he was joking!’ as a defense as your standards for the boat paint don’t allow that it too could have been a ‘joke.’)

Like, this goes both ways.
It does. I've seen marinas that explicitly state no political flags. Campgrounds etc. Thousand trails is a large campground that blocks all political. People are complaining because BLM and other flags "aren't political" while claiming that the dumb wrongly colored American flags are political. It's amusing and led instead to the campground chain changing their policy to say, "these are the only flags allowed."
If you're a business, you're stuck now. If you allow political flags people will throw a fit and complain. If you ban them people will complain when you enforce it saying "you don't ban something else". I have seen neighborhoods even banning American flags "because they're political" in today's climate. (If needed I can do a whole rant about HOAs)
No matter what actually happened here, right or wrong, I guarantee you it wasn't as simple as this story makes it seem. I'd be real curious to hear from others at the marina before helping etc.
That said, I think the owner charging others when they had written agreements is BS.
Old 18-09-2020, 07:20   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSMFP View Post

I wish her luck.

Ok Boomer. Name calling might hurt someone’s feelings.
Old 18-09-2020, 07:27   #42

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Reefer View Post
Ok Boomer. Name calling might hurt someone’s feelings.
Kinda ironic the majority of people who are called "boomers" as an insult are actually Generation X.
I tell them if they are not smart enough to get the generation right, they are not smart enough to discuss it with.
Old 18-09-2020, 07:27   #43

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

The real offense here is not that some dumb a$$ painted propaganda on their boat...........

The real offense is that some blogger/vblogger/youtuber did something stupid, caused them problems, cost them money. And now they want the internet community to bail them out...................

Not a single cent...........
Old 18-09-2020, 07:44   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post

Free speech. I believe which is protected by your constitution...?
A very, very highly misunderstood/misinterpreted constitutional amendment. The amendment protects you from persecution. However, it does not extend to private property or private business.

This forum is an example. You have the right to start your own website or forum and espouse your political belief to your heart's content. You are not allowed to do so on someone else's forum, such as CF.

She can stand in the street and hold a sign, but she can't stand on marina property and do the same. In that case, she can't be arrested and charged with a crime, but she can be asked to leave. Refusal to do so, then constitutes trespassing, which IS a chargeable offense.
Old 18-09-2020, 15:22   #45

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
I would suggest that spray painting your boat with divisive slogans IS stirring the pot..........

I meant on the forum. Whats done is done at that yard. We can be civil and discuss our opinions. See Quote above yours.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Closed Thread

Tags
dinghy