Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2020, 11:56   #16

Boat: Gemini 105Mc
Re: Dinghy Dreams Followers

Spray painting graffiti on your own boat..........

That's a special kind of stupid.........
Old 16-09-2020, 12:58   #17

It sounds like the messages were there for a day at most and not actually hugely visible - I was picturing something more like a billboard impossible to miss, not painting on the bottom of the boat. I think the owner handled it extremely poorly.
Old 16-09-2020, 15:56   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateFoxy View Post
It sounds like the messages were there for a day at most and not actually hugely visible - I was picturing something more like a billboard impossible to miss, not painting on the bottom of the boat. I think the owner handled it extremely poorly.
I sorta liked the idea - previously expressed - that the Yard owner just should have splashed the boat immediately (although how long was she there: three days total).

<Sigh>

It really is wild and woolly for you guys down there now, eh?

More reasons to go sailing!
LittleWing77
Old 16-09-2020, 16:44   #19

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
Spray painting graffiti on your own boat..........

That's a special kind of stupid.........
Thats not so bad, Ive seen a number of creative bottom jobs with slogans and art work, but doing it in someone else place of business, without their consent, is innappropriate.
Old 16-09-2020, 19:03   #20

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
While I truly agree with kindness, acceptance and support for all, there is a time and place for everything.
Yes, something like...

"A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace."
(Ecclesiastes 3:8)

And about time to respect other people peaceful expression, especially when posted on their own boat bottom. Some other people may not be happy if their trucks are expelled from a parking lot as the owner doesn't like their bumper sticker.

And fore sure, a time to sail away
Old 16-09-2020, 20:21   #21

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValency View Post
Yes, something like...

"A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace."
(Ecclesiastes 3:8)

And about time to respect other people peaceful expression, especially when posted on their own boat bottom. Some other people may not be happy if their trucks are expelled from a parking lot as the owner doesn't like their bumper sticker.

And fore sure, a time to sail away

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 16-09-2020, 22:00   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
I sorta liked the idea - previously expressed - that the Yard owner just should have splashed the boat immediately (although how long was she there: three days total).

<Sigh>

It really is wild and woolly for you guys down there now, eh?

More reasons to go sailing!
LittleWing77
It sounds like she did it just the day before she left anyway. Honestly if the owner had just not done anything public, asked her to go ASAP politely, and had a private word with customers who he thought might be bothered to kind of spread the word they hadn’t approved of her actions, it would’ve been a non-event. Like “hah, man wasn’t she nuts? Glad she’s gone.”
Old 17-09-2020, 05:31   #23

Wow - you're quite a tough bunch.

Much moreso than I'd ever imagined...

Fair winds to All,
And if you can, please offer whatever sailor's support you are able to Emily,
Thank you,
LittleWing77
Old 17-09-2020, 06:32   #24

Boat: Caliber Yachts/Caliber 38

Aren’t we all quick to judge these days. About to join the cruiser’s lifestyle. Was hoping to get away from the above.
Old 17-09-2020, 07:11   #25

She's entitled to her opinion. She's entitled to do whatever she wants to her boat. What she lacks is the wisdom to recognize when and where she is not entitled to espouse her political beliefs. The owner is equally entitled to his opinions and to protect his business.

What happens when someone lumps the marina into a public social media shaming campaign as a result of her actions?

What happens when the right-wing protesters start picketing his business because they confuse her beliefs with that of the business owner?

What happens when paying customer's with their own political beliefs start blowing back at the owner for the political statements of the transient getting free services?

Freedom of speech does not extend onto private property or businesses.
Old 17-09-2020, 07:20   #26

Boat: Gulfstar, Hirsch, 45'

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Sorry, but seems that almost everything is extremely political in the USA today...certainly "BLM" in big letters qualifies.
Agree with you, a couple messages on there were fine, love peace, etc.. but the BLM organization in America is seen is in much different viewpoint from 10's of millions of Americans. It's just a fact, not pointing out if it's right or wrong. I wouldn't want that boat on my property. my 2 centavos
Old 17-09-2020, 07:23   #27

Boat: Gulfstar, Hirsch, 45'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Wow - you're quite a tough bunch.

Much moreso than I'd ever imagined...

Fair winds to All,
And if you can, please offer whatever sailor's support you are able to Emily,
Thank you,
LittleWing77
I suspect that the "conservative" people here will pass, while the moderates and left leaning may be inclined to throw her some love. that's what makes us a great community. we should be able to disagree, without tearing each other down.
Old 17-09-2020, 10:14   #28

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskilmer View Post
Aren’t we all quick to judge these days. About to join the cruiser’s lifestyle. Was hoping to get away from the above.

Hi Chris...you'll find that there are many different cruisers out there if you begin an adventure. In social settings while moving around, you can find yourself in situations where the conversations might be uncomfortable or at least where you might not agree. It will be easy to tell who's who in the zoo.
You might also encounter crew that will fall under the same category. Those are a little more difficult to get away from. My last crew experience in the Sea of Cortez was like that. Ten days with them was more than enough with their lifestyle.
My point is, cruising is what you make it. You'll meet all types and it is always your prerogative to walk away anytime you wish and it is never necessary to take a side in anything.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 17-09-2020, 17:40   #29

He was right to do what he did. By posting the antifa symbol she is openly supporting a movement that attacks people because in their words "speech has consequences." She calls for violence by saying "No Justice No Peace," since if she is not for peace, then she is for violence.

Would she cheer if the boatyard got torched like the downtowns?
Old 17-09-2020, 19:07   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamber View Post
Would she cheer if the boatyard got torched like the downtowns?
Okay, okay - let's all just take it down a notch, please. Nobody torched anything. Nobody is going to torch anything.

Emily hauled her boat for three days, had a fun community bottom-painting and wrote some things about love, peace and justice on the bottom of her own. boat.

Free speech. I believe which is protected by your constitution...?

Then the boat went back into the water. Where no one can see what is written below the waterline.

This is SO not nice, tolerant or free anymore.

I'm out.

Please support Emily in any way you may feel inclined,
Thank you,
LittleWing77
Closed Thread

Tags
dinghy