Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2020, 05:16   #1

Dinghy Dreams Followers

Hi All,

Any of you who happen to follow Dinghy Dreams might be interested in her latest post, involving a run-in with an unscrupulous and petty yard owner, after we haven't heard anything from her all Summer (except her Good Old Boat article in the Spring). CALL FOR MUTUAL AID – Dinghy Dreams

She could use a little help from her friends.

Fair winds, everyone,
LittleWing77
Old 14-09-2020, 06:03   #2

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII
Re: Dinghy Dreams Followers

It probably wasn't a good idea to go full blown political on commercial property while accepting generous discounts from the owner(s)
I hope she learned that lesson.
Old 14-09-2020, 06:57   #3

Boat: Hanse 430e

Her actions had consequences, for which she is now asking for a hand-out. Thats a strange idea.
Old 14-09-2020, 07:12   #4

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I can see a business not liking their space being used to display a political message. Reasonable enough in my mind. But it sounds like they didn't say anything about it right away and instead waited until she was done and ready to leave, then told her they weren't honoring the deal because of the messages when it was too late for her to do anything about it. That's bad business in my mind.
Old 14-09-2020, 07:36   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I can see a business not liking their space being used to display a political message. Reasonable enough in my mind. But it sounds like they didn't say anything about it right away and instead waited until she was done and ready to leave, then told her they weren't honoring the deal because of the messages when it was too late for her to do anything about it. That's bad business in my mind.
I agree with you 100%. The owner did not handle that properly, he should have honored the agreement his co-owner made and hashed it out with co-owner.
If I were the business owner I would have tried to splash the vessel ASAP. If it couldn't be splashed,, cover it or lose discount maybe? I don't know the answer. Businesses are being burned to the ground over these issues and that is no joke, but he lost honor in my eyes for the way he dealt with it.
Old 14-09-2020, 15:58   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Well...really...all of us who truly live a life of freedom take responsibility for our actions. I have to agree, she was offered a discount and then gave the yard a black eye. By that I do not mean what the yard owner thinks politically but his customers who which pay full price and probably a lot more than she does year after year. There is a good likelihood of customers who see this might not return or in any event, tell others of the experience. She could have probably flown a peace sign off her stern-rail and been ok.

I'm about ready for 2020 to be over with all it's political B.S. from both sides ramming their opinions down my throat!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 14-09-2020, 16:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Adeline View Post
It probably wasn't a good idea to go full blown political on commercial property while accepting generous discounts from the owner(s). I hope she learned that lesson.
Wow ! It's amazing how different perspectives can be, eh?

I love reading Emily's blog and I always think of her as brave, amazing, fierce and free - not for sale.

All of those messages (on her own boat's hull) were essentially about love and justice.

Well, Adeline, guess we'll agree to disagree on this one.

Fair winds, All,
And will those who can, please help
(I've already donated)
Warmly,
LittleWing77
Old 14-09-2020, 16:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Wow ! It's amazing how different perspectives can be, eh?

I love reading Emily's blog and I always think of her as brave, amazing, fierce and free - not for sale.

All of those messages (on her own boat's hull) were essentially about love and justice.

Well, Adeline, guess we'll agree to disagree on this one.

Fair winds, All,
And will those who can, please help
(I've already donated)
Warmly,
LittleWing77[emoji3]
Please understand i meant no disrespect towards the lady or her personal beliefs. Looking at the photos, with the exception of *Love is Free* every other message is extremely political in the USA. City blocks have been burned to the ground with some of the same messages written on the remains. Several people have literally been shot dead in the street over a couple of them. I personally murdered my own business in another life due to public perception of my actions. From a business ownership point of view, something like this, in the current state of our union, could destroy the business.
Now, his response was completely wrong and unprofessional. I seriously question if it was/is legal, especially if there was any agreement in writing, but that is another issue.
Old 14-09-2020, 21:29   #9

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

There was nothing political or "extremely political" in any of the messages there, but for some people, anything never mentioned in their favorite radio station alternative facts content is 'extreme something...'

That marina owner that broke the agreement, did that just because he could - just like that dog
Old 16-09-2020, 02:17   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValency View Post
There was nothing political or "extremely political" in any of the messages there, but for some people, anything never mentioned in their favorite radio station alternative content is "extreme" something...
Thanks DeValency. That's what I thought, too.
But I guess my own thinking is more representative of Emily's - which I'm surprised about when I think of this Forum!

Because SO many Members are seeking an alternative, cruising lifestyle, I guess I automatically assumed they would exemplify a brave and free perspective as well (since "free" is such and important part of the ethos) - and support someone who was out there waving her banner like a guidepost for those who have not yet transitioned into the cruising life.

Please consider supporting Emily in some small way - as you're able
Warmly,
LittleWing77
Old 16-09-2020, 06:23   #11

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Donated and hope Emily raise enough to continue with promoting justice.

As for the expectations from the members seeking the alternative cruising lifestyle; unfortunately, some can’t understand that the base of ‘law and order’ in a democratic society is justice, kindness, acceptance, support and more - unfortunately we can see few of these also on the water - quite easy to be identified by true sailors.

Nitzan (DeValency)
Old 16-09-2020, 09:58   #12

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

While I truly agree with kindness, acceptance and support for all, there is a time and place for everything. I'm just guessing that the owners reaction came from a place of not wanting to ruffle the feathers of any of his other customers.

How he went about it was IMHO was wrong! A "normal" person might have gone up to Emily and explained that he did not want to upset other customer and that it might be bad for business. As far as her asking for donations? It was mentioned earlier that the price change was a result of her actions. I am going to assume here that her life-style of "freedom" includes not working. If that is so, perhaps the right thing to do is pull her own weight in this situation.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 16-09-2020, 10:47   #13

Boat: Seaward 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post

Because SO many Members are seeking an alternative, cruising lifestyle, I guess I automatically assumed they would exemplify a brave and free perspective as well
So people who don't agree with her political opinions don't exemplify a brave and free perspective?
Old 16-09-2020, 10:53   #14

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValency View Post
There was nothing political or "extremely political" in any of the messages there, but for some people, anything never mentioned in their favorite radio station alternative facts content is 'extreme something...'

That marina owner that broke the agreement, did that just because he could - just like that dog
Sorry, but seems that almost everything is extremely political in the USA today...certainly "BLM" in big letters qualifies.
Old 16-09-2020, 11:06   #15

Boat: Hans Christian 33t

Interesting.
That said, you can "view" these sayings as "not real political" or however, but if you look at the BLM movement founders, they have turned it VERY VERY political. Most of those sayings have become EXTREMELY political.
That said, my beliefs don't align with the political leanings of those "movements" but what I DO think is as usual, there is going to be 3 sides to this story. Her side, owner's side, and what actually happened.
What I'd wager happened, is that owner spoke to her, argument started, ended with the result of insults from both sides, threats and "discounted" rates being revoked. I know most marinas in the southeast have customers that seem to lean center to right on the US political scale.
That said, if I was a business owner in this climate I'd try to be as far from politics as possible in this day and age. ESPECIALLY if my politics or politics on display at my boatyard went against politics of most of my customers.
I've seen right leaning business owners have their business destroyed because they came out for Trump, I've also seen left leaning owners have their business destroyed because they "weren't far enough left"
If you're financially responsible for a business, it's a fine line to walk these days. Sadly political discourse is nothing but a recipe for disaster.
Closed Thread

Tags
dinghy