Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2020, 15:32   #46

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Dinghy Dreams Followers

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
^^ This. A business owner needs a thicker skin. If it bugs you, splash the boat a little sooner.

As for those who feel they brought it on themselves, would you have said the same thing if the slogan was MAGA or the symbol a Confederate flag? I didn't think so. How one-sided.

Thank you for predicting what we would say or not say. If you need me to clear the air on my position, I'm not afraid to say so. MAGA is BS, Racism with confederate flags is BS. Antifa is BS, Protesters looting is BS. Destroying business's is BS., and coming on here making assumptions is also BS.
There, just in case you needed clarification.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 18-09-2020, 17:32   #47

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Okay, okay - let's all just take it down a notch, please. Nobody torched anything. Nobody is going to torch anything.

Emily hauled her boat for three days, had a fun community bottom-painting and wrote some things about love, peace and justice on the bottom of her own. boat.

Free speech. I believe which is protected by your constitution...?

Then the boat went back into the water. Where no one can see what is written below the waterline.

This is SO not nice, tolerant or free anymore.

I'm out.

Please support Emily in any way you may feel inclined,

Thank you,

LittleWing77
....and the rights of the business owner are nil?
Old 18-09-2020, 17:32   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Adeline View Post
Kinda ironic the majority of people who are called "boomers" as an insult are actually Generation X.

I tell them if they are not smart enough to get the generation right, they are not smart enough to discuss it with.

The way the kids use it, the term Boomer is less about your age and more about your demeanor. If you really are telling them that, then the term fits ya.

Don’t worry, I too am a young curmudgeon and have owned the boomer title.
Old 18-09-2020, 18:09   #49

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
....and the rights of the business owner are nil?
Not at all. But they could have asked for the boat to be tented immediately to keep it out of view or something.
Old 18-09-2020, 18:24   #50

Quote:
Free Speech does not include racism, many forms of hate speech
I saw some extremely broad interpretations of what hate speech is, pretty much anyone that squeals about hate speech has a broad opinion of what it is.

Some of these colleges consider hate speech to be certain parts of the bible, calling for border fortifications, quotes from Thomas Jefferson, certain flags, books by Plato, the ancient Hindu Vedas, statues of Abraham Lincoln, etc.

See below the Washington Post saying Plato's writing was racist. The reality is you want banned is what you strongly disagree with. Wow, you really believe the police should be sent after people that spread Plato's writings? That is a odd definition of free speech.

Quote:
Aristotle, father of scientific racism
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ntific-racism/
Old 18-09-2020, 18:45   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
First of all there is not an antifa symbol...it's an anarchy symbol. There was at least 10 ways you could have expressed your opinion. You seem to have stepped it up to a much larger proportion than it really warranted. This forum is more about getting along and having an opinion rather than stirring the pot.
Every antifa I ever heard of called himself an anarchist. They constantly carry anarchist flags. The bottom flag is the Anarcho-Syndicalism. Notice the colors are the same Antifa uses? Antifa wears black because black is the color of anarchists.

I guess if I said, "Yes, send money to the person that says 'No Peace' is a great idea," then that would mean I would not be stirring the pot, right? I disagree, sorry. The whole idea of the "reply" button on a forum is for people to respond with their opinions, not just agree.

"Capitalism is evil, send me the all-mighty-dollar!"

Quote:
Antifa activists are anarchists, and they’re violent
https://www.sacbee.com/opinion/op-ed...e171808947.htm

Old 18-09-2020, 19:15   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamber View Post
Every antifa I ever heard of called himself an anarchist. They constantly carry anarchist flags. The bottom flag is the Anarcho-Syndicalism. Notice the colors are the same Antifa uses? Antifa wears black because black is the color of anarchists.

I guess if I said, "Yes, send money to the person that says 'No Peace' is a great idea," then that would mean I would not be stirring the pot, right? I disagree, sorry. The whole idea of the "reply" button on a forum is for people to respond with their opinions, not just agree.

"Capitalism is evil, send me the all-mighty-dollar!"

Again...it's an anarchist symbol, not a antifa affiliation you're trying to sell. You twist and turn BS facts. "Every antifa I ever heard of called himself an anarchist". You did a survey or just hears Rush Limbaugh say it? Come on there are symbols of eagles the left claim resemble the Nazi eagle. Want to back that?

Equally ridiculous.

Yes please express your opinion. Be as venomous as you want. I have been on this forum for a long time and I use the "get along with my fellow cruisers" way of communicating. There are multiple ways to express yourself here.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 18-09-2020, 19:32   #53

Boat: Hans Christian 33t

I think the fact that this went this far out into insane land shows why the owner was concerned. We have no financial ties or concerns and people are this worked up?
Old 18-09-2020, 19:49   #54

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscrugby View Post
I think the fact that this went this far out into insane land shows why the owner was concerned. We have no financial ties or concerns and people are this worked up?
Welcome to "Trumplandia". Glad Im not there.
Old 18-09-2020, 20:15   #55

Quote:
Because it was made a thing, though. If the owner had just quietly moved her on and not changed the agreement others had (which is just uncool) it would never have been an international thing on a forum. And if some regular customers are cranky about her brief stay, that’s easily taken care of with person to person conversations. No need for a big flap.
Old 18-09-2020, 20:30   #56

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamber View Post
I saw some extremely broad interpretations of what hate speech is, pretty much anyone that squeals about hate speech has a broad opinion of what it is.

Some of these colleges consider hate speech to be certain parts of the bible, calling for border fortifications, quotes from Thomas Jefferson, certain flags, books by Plato, the ancient Hindu Vedas, statues of Abraham Lincoln, etc.

See below the Washington Post saying Plato's writing was racist. The reality is you want banned is what you strongly disagree with. Wow, you really believe the police should be sent after people that spread Plato's writings? That is a odd definition of free speech.
Indeed, you are absolutely correct. I assure you when I refer to hate speech I meant actual racist slurs and derogatory remarks are not protected.
I am a firm believer in true freedom of speech. Which by definition requires one to tolerate another shouting that which I detest the most, and supporting their right to do it.
Old 18-09-2020, 20:34   #57

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

Quote:
Ironic how the President's beliefs and policies align against this type of behavior, yet it never fails someone has to find a way to blame him.
Old 18-09-2020, 20:35   #58

Boat: Hans Christian 33t

Quote:
Really? Seems to me it isn't one side or another. But hey, whatever let's you sleep at night.
Like I said. We have her story. No chance is that the entire story.
Should it have been handled differently? Maybe. Maybe not.
Old 18-09-2020, 20:48   #59

Quote:
Really? Seems to me it isn't one side or another. But hey, whatever let's you sleep at night.
Like I said. We have her story. No chance is that the entire story.
Should it have been handled differently? Maybe. Maybe not.

That's my deal with the "alleged" situation. Only assumptions can be made in regards to the side of the yard owner. Without that side of the story, it's easy to paint something that might be nothing.
As far as donating someone $150 because they feel slighted?...Me thinks not.
Old 18-09-2020, 22:04   #60

Quote:
when I refer to hate speech I meant actual racist slurs and derogatory remarks are not protected.
They are most certainly protected in the United States of America, at least on the property of the person saying it.
Closed Thread

Tags
dinghy