Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2019, 09:13   #16

Boat: Hans Christian 43T
Re: Diesel additive added to water tank

If you slowly fill the tank with water the contaminate will flow out the neck as it floats on top of water. May take awhile to feel comfortable that you have evacuated it all .
jamescandelori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 09:26   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Diesel additive added to water tank

STOP DO NOT do anything until you read the MSD write up (formerly called MSDS). The MSD will list first aid, spill control, etc.

After reading that come back and evaluate the options provided.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 09:34   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If this is Power Service meant as a cleaner / lubricity additive and a Cetane booster I think you may be OK.
But heed the advice about not pumping it through your lines, I didn’t think of that but it’s a very good point.

If it’s a Bio-cide meant to kill bugs you may be in trouble, I believe some of that may be a very strong pesticide

Can the tank be accessed through a hole in the top?

I think your going to need to get in touch with the manufacturer to find out what is in it, you may get lucky and it’s just petroleum solvents, a lot of this stuff is more snake oil than actually effective.

My Brother put some gas in his water tank, we never did get rid of the smell / taste and many things were tried
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 09:35   #19

Boat: Watkins 29

Seriously... Buy as much of the cheapest vodka you can find. Put it in the water tank and slosh it around and pump it through the system! It will clean the petroleum chemicals out of the tank. The alcohol in the vodka will break down the petroleum. Don't ask how I know!
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 09:48   #20

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Again let me repeat: the danger is not being poisoned today, but developing liver, pancreas, bladder or other cancer twenty years down the line. If you are 70, don’t worry too much, unless you have grandchildren who like to boat......
Find out all of the ingredients and do some internet research. You will be amazed at how few parts per million it takes for some chemicals to cause tumors.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 09:59   #21
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
STOP DO NOT do anything until you read the MSD write up (formerly called MSDS). The MSD will list first aid, spill control, etc.

After reading that come back and evaluate the options provided.

SDS is the new global name.
Old 24-12-2019, 12:06   #22

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Paint the caps to your tanks. Water/ Blue, Diesel /Green.

This will prevent future confusion. Especially for new crew.

Best of luck with your cleanup. Good suggestions so far.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 14:11   #23

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I never did what you have done--but I have re-used a diesel tank as a water tank, but it did involve using a bladder as a temporary water tank while the diesel tank was washed out using several daily changes of sea water mixed with Comprox, and some good agitation between soakings. After about five flushes I filled the tank using fresh water, and flushed it, then refilled it again. The water did not taste of diesel, but it did have a slight kerosene hint--which vanished over the next few weeks.

That tank was made from Aluminium, as were all of my diesel and water tanks. I replaced them all eventually with plastic containers in racks.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 20:24   #24

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

We have a solvent called Simple Green; a biocide and degreaser, as well as somewhat of a detergent. After removing everything possible, I (personally) would use automatic dishwasher soap; let it set for several hours. Then drain. And then Simple Green. And drain. Then rinse with dishwashing soap. Then flood and drain at least twice.
Best of luck. Sorry you're dealing with this.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 21:12   #25

Boat: Dinghies to Admirals Cup contender,the lot.

.…...lots of good procedures already shown.....I added diesel to a water tank once...….used oil pads......got a separate self priming pump....hose to that on a stick to direct hose to ends and sides …….submerged light showed diesel globules on top of water....use hose on stick to target...….suck out an inch......add new water to same level......avoids coating sides of tank......repeat...….wipe sides of tank if possible...….add detergent......empty …….repeat......lots......tested water...…..slight smell ...went after 2 fills....

my diesel additive contains some ethanol......its also in some petrols….and in some mouthwashes...so check msd………
grahamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 21:13   #26

Boat: Dufour 40 E, 12 m

Before doing a lot of trials exercise a Test in a pan with water or a jerrycan and put in some additive. Just do the Tests as proposed with Cleaning process. If you dont get out the Smell and Taste than there remains one consequent measure: cut the whole reservoir out, including filling stud, otherwise your problem with taste and smell will last for a long long time. And put in place some kind of replacement. Talk with a yacht designer. . I feel sorry for you but so your problem will be solved. Good luck
Sea Angel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 00:44   #27

All very good advice. Ultimately you probably should contact the provider or one of the health agencies. Toxic materials used in the Australian public domain must be registered I believe.
I suspect that although the product needs to be soluble in diesel fuel it may well also have active ingredients that are soluble in any water that may be in the diesel. This may well be the case if the active ingredients are designed to nullify algae etc. in the diesel. After all, that is where many fuel aging problems begin so the additive probably has water soluble components which are "nasty".
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 08:26   #28

Don't fool around with trying to clean out what can't be cleaned out at the molecular and maybe quantum level. New tank and new plumbing if you want to do it right !
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 08:33   #29

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Quote:
my diesel additive contains some ethanol......its also in some petrols….and in some mouthwashes...so check msd………
Is there an MSDS for rum?
Just asking
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2019, 09:56   #30

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

No SDS/MSDS for food or beverages.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, water