Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2018, 14:00   #31
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Catamaran capsize.

Might have helped if he had read the thread b4 diving in with the big wooden paddle..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 23:40   #32

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Catamaran capsize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Of course it was, the multi knockers couldn't wait.

Mate, I’ve got nothing at all against multis. If I could afford one I’d seriously consider it.

I posted the link because it detailed a fellow boat owner in trouble. I don’t care if he has one hull or ten, he matters to me.

Edit: if you check my posting history I’ve posted at least two other similar threads for monos in trouble around my part of the world and even got on the phone to the coast guard to check one of them was ok.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:14   #33

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold
Re: Catamaran capsize.

Pretty poor article by the ABC, does not give any indication at all where this happened apart from "North Queensland". It is a bloody big place!
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:14   #34

Boat: Custom sailing catamaran

Wharram 23ft. Years ago. Capsized twice on the mooring, nearly went over several times at sea. Flat fordeck is a reverse foil. Forward hatches as designed flood the forward compartments. Planked bridge deck does the same.
**** of a design.
Now have well designed catamaran.
I will not go sailing in a Wharram again whatever you pay me.
KJThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:43   #35
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Catamaran capsize.

Had the Tiki 21 and 26.. both super stable and never came close to capsizing even in a f7 gusting 8 from France to UK with full sail.
Never on a mooring just on the hook on tidal sandy bottom.. got windy there as well.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:16   #36

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Narrow cats with a flooded hull are very unstable. Two or three years ago a Gemini named Kindred Spirit got caught in a wind opposing current situation off of the keys with a flooded hull. The drag of the down hull turned her sideways to the waves and she flipped when a wave lifted the windward hull. The crew had gotten into the dinghy 20 seconds before she flipped. The hull did stay on the surface once she inverted. Being the owner of a narrow cat I have no illusions about this. With a hull down and the sails up there is very little chance she'll stay upright.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:56   #37

Do "modern" production cats, say a Lagoon 45, have airtight bulkheads? Will they float when capsized in the ideal condition that the bulkheads are intact? I can't imagine that those patio sliding doors would prevent water flooding in when inverted.

Just wondering. Have never been on one. Looks like fun.
rbfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 14:28   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbfin View Post
Do "modern" production cats, say a Lagoon 45, have airtight bulkheads? Will they float when capsized in the ideal condition that the bulkheads are intact? I can't imagine that those patio sliding doors would prevent water flooding in when inverted.

Just wondering. Have never been on one. Looks like fun.
Now... where did I leave my nuclear fall-out gear...?

Seriously, please let's not descend into one of those threads. That one has been done to death a dozen times already. This thread was about a guy in a boat that needed to be rescued here in Oz. I didn't care how many hulls, and that's kinda where I was hoping it would stay, not degenerate in a mono vs multi thing. (Yeah, I know, once you start a thread you have to accept where the drift takes it, but this particular current has history.)
Old 03-12-2018, 14:30   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownfishsydney View Post
Pretty poor article by the ABC, does not give any indication at all where this happened apart from "North Queensland". It is a bloody big place!
Very true, ABC reporting, like most journalism these days, is not what it used to be.
Old 03-12-2018, 15:07   #40

Boat: no boat any more

"...Sometimes it's not what you have but how you use it..."
how true! we rtw-ed in/on our Tangaroa & it was a great adventure, quickly got into "expedition-mode" though. she was simple to build & the life was - by necessity - simple, but for the same effort in labour & money ...
what did a guy that gave us a ride from the Kieta yachtclub exclaim when asked which boat was ours, "the big white one" (a Force 50 on a mooring next to us) we replied "no, the one next to it"? "oh that bloody thing!" - & while quite uncouth that was very true!
Old 03-12-2018, 15:18   #41

Having been warned by the site moderators about being mean spirited, I would NEVER suggest that catamarans are death traps when knocked down. I just have a question, Have you EVER seen a monohull that didn't upright after a knock down? (Just asking).
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 15:23   #42

Ah! First post in years I think, and I dropped a bomb! It's a genuine question... but can see now that it is loaded... even though I have no dog in the hunt. I'll call the San Diego Lagoon dealer and ask her/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Now... where did I leave my nuclear fall-out gear...?

Seriously, please let's not descend into one of those threads. That one has been done to death a dozen times already. This thread was about a guy in a boat that needed to be rescued here in Oz. I didn't care how many hulls, and that's kinda where I was hoping it would stay, not degenerate in a mono vs multi thing. (Yeah, I know, once you start a thread you have to accept where the drift takes it, but this particular current has history.)
rbfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 15:29   #43

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

That cat was reportedly flipped east of Cape Palmerston, about 30 nm south of Mackay. It's reasonably isolated coast along there, so could take a while to find if it washes ashore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchaway View Post
Having been warned by the site moderators about being mean spirited, I would NEVER suggest that catamarans are death traps when knocked down. I just have a question, Have you EVER seen a monohull that didn't upright after a knock down? (Just asking).

Tony Bullimore et al could answer that...
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 17:12   #44

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Yep, if the leeward hull has minimal buoyancy, it will just get pushed under the water rather than provide righting force.

In addition, the leeward hull sitting lower in the water is less likely to slide sideways in a gust.

On cats with boards in storm conditions, they recommend pulling the leeward board up. That way if the windward hull lifts and the board comes out of the water, the boat slides sideways bleeding off some of the overturning force.

Obviously, this boat doesn't have boards and the hull shape performs a similar function but a flooded hull likely has much more leeway resistance as it's much deeper in the water.

I do wonder that he "was in the cabin" when he noticed the boat slowing down. Was he actually up and maintaining watch or was he in taking a nap. In conditions bad enough to flip the boat, I would think being actively on watch is the appropriate action.
I was asleep at the time,
I was travelling with both boards down, New to the boat, So didnt know, Learning as I went,
It makes it easier on the autopilot with both boards down,
With out them down the boat skips sideways and the autopilot is continually grinding away, Working very hard to maintain a straight line,
The autopilot dropped out for some reason, Possibly going sideways in the current, Confuses the GPS,
The boat turned sideways and was beam on,
The leeward board dug in and I was at about 70 degrees in very big waves,, Very scary moment till I got it turned down the waves,

I now travel with only the windward board down, It allows the boat to slide sideways on the sides of big waves, The autopilot also has an easier time keeping the boat in a straight line,

Crossing oceans single handed, its impossible to be on watch 24/7.
At night and asleep, I have a foot of Genoa out and drag the motor in the water,
It maintains about 3 knots and keeps me down wind, With a following sea,
Im not going where I want too, But I found it the safest way to sleep,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 18:36   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchaway View Post
Yes, several. And quite a few lives have been lost.

I'm surprised that anyone would would even ask that question. A few seconds on Google would answer it many times over.

To as that, you'd think the person must be new to boating.... with plenty of opinions, little to no knowledge.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capsize, catamaran, east coast, rescue, size