Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2019, 19:55   #46

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Blue water sailing with sleep apnea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
But for me what was amazing was once I started on the CPAP, I began dreaming again, and as silly as this sounds you miss dreaming. It became my dream machine. That tapered off of course as everything does.

I had exactly the same experience. I think it is related to not getting into the very good deep sleep part of the sleep cycle, which the machine assists with.

I have a friend who sells them for a living, and he gave me access to some tools that allow me to analyse my sleep overnight on the computer, a sort of crude version of the real tests.

I check the data now and then as I find it is a very good indicator of how well I am looking after myself.
Old 21-09-2019, 20:27   #47

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
As for the person who said you cannot use one on a passage... well, frankly, what a load of uninformed twaddle. I always use mine when under way. The rhythm gets me back to sleep in seconds after waking for a horizon scan.

When I said you wouldn't use one on passage, I was thinking more of the passages I've done where it is rough, you never really fall solid asleep, taking the time to sit for a radio schedule seems like an overwhelming amount of work, cooking is just plain hard, etc. On these passages I get as much rest as I can in my short off watch and do as little extra as possible.
On anchor it would be no problem. Either way, missing a few nights using a CPap or a dental appliance just doesn't matter.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2019, 21:11   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
When I said you wouldn't use one on passage, I was thinking more of the passages I've done where it is rough, you never really fall solid asleep, taking the time to sit for a radio schedule seems like an overwhelming amount of work, cooking is just plain hard, etc. On these passages I get as much rest as I can in my short off watch and do as little extra as possible.

On anchor it would be no problem. Either way, missing a few nights using a CPap or a dental appliance just doesn't matter.

That’s the point though... it makes me go to sleep in seconds, so I CAN get some sleep where I might otherwise toss and turn.

If it is that rough that it is impossible to sleep, then nothing short of a blow to the head is gonna help anyway. For other conditions, the machine cannot be beaten.
Old 22-09-2019, 00:04   #49

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
That’s the point though... it makes me go to sleep in seconds, so I CAN get some sleep where I might otherwise toss and turn.

If it is that rough that it is impossible to sleep, then nothing short of a blow to the head is gonna help anyway. For other conditions, the machine cannot be beaten.
You are a lucky one. Cpap works really well for. As I mentioned above, the compliance rate of Cpap users is only about 50%. In other words half the people drop using it within months.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 00:37   #50

First comes a consult with a sleep medicine physician. The "sleep study" involves spending the night at the lab, showing up around 8pm. They wire you up with about a dozen sensors (not uncomfortable) and have you just read a book or watch tv and go to sleep as you normally do.

There is a camera in the room as well and after a couple of hours of sleep they have baseline data on your sleep pattern and breathing during sleep. They will likely wake you up and fit a CPAP that has been set up to the pressure recommended by the physician. You sleep some more, they observe some more, and they gather more data. They wake you up around 6am and send you home.

The main issue is the number "events" (when you stop breathing entirely) that they observe.

After a week or so, the full report is available and there's a follow-up consultation with the physician.
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 00:49   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
You are a lucky one. Cpap works really well for. As I mentioned above, the compliance rate of Cpap users is only about 50%. In other words half the people drop using it within months.

Yes, I discussed this with my mate. He’d been selling them for a few years by then and his feeling was that you could spot who’d see it through very early on. His theory was that you needed to get past the early problems of chafing and discomfort to be able to see it through. I’m guessing the skin around my nostrils must be tougher than the soles of my feet now. [emoji23]
Old 22-09-2019, 00:51   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorrison146 View Post

The main issue is the number "events" (when you stop breathing entirely) that they observe.

And some machines, like mine, will easily report how many events they observed and needed to intervene in during the night as well.

This, I find, is the first sign that I am not looking after my health.
Old 22-09-2019, 02:10   #53

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Losing weight and stopping drinking alcohol will cure most ills!!
I have no weight to loose and use hardly any alcohol but I was tested 20 breath stops during 6 hour sleep the longest stop being over 90sec. Nor do I wake up during night..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 03:33   #54
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
First comes a consult with a sleep medicine physician. The "sleep study" involves spending the night at the lab, showing up around 8pm. They wire you up with about a dozen sensors (not uncomfortable) and have you just read a book or watch tv and go to sleep as you normally do.

There is a camera in the room as well and after a couple of hours of sleep they have baseline data on your sleep pattern and breathing during sleep. They will likely wake you up and fit a CPAP that has been set up to the pressure recommended by the physician. You sleep some more, they observe some more, and they gather more data. They wake you up around 6am and send you home.

After a week or so, the full report is available and there's a follow-up consultation with the physician.
Thanks for that..... Now I know what to ask for here in the Philippines
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 03:51   #55

Quote:
Sleep Medicine is part of a Neurology Department, not Ear /Nose/Throat.
Depends where you are. In Skandinavian countries it's in the ENT..
Old 22-09-2019, 07:14   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:

I have a friend who sells them for a living, and he gave me access to some tools that allow me to analyse my sleep overnight on the computer, a sort of crude version of the real tests.

Try the Sleepyhead software, it’s completely free, and I have the factory Resperonics software, and Sleepyhead is much, much better than it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 20:50   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
I have no weight to loose and use hardly any alcohol but I was tested 20 breath stops during 6 hour sleep the longest stop being over 90sec. Nor do I wake up during night..

Scary stuff hey? Thank goodness for the invention of these devices. I know I feel a heck of lot better rested in the morning than I used to, I imagine you’ve found the same?
Old 22-09-2019, 20:51   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Try the Sleepyhead software, it’s completely free, and I have the factory Resperonics software, and Sleepyhead is much, much better than it.

I’ll check it out, thank you.
Old 23-09-2019, 02:40   #59

Quote:
Scary stuff hey? Thank goodness for the invention of these devices. I know I feel a heck of lot better rested in the morning than I used to, I imagine you’ve found the same?
My oxygen levels never went too low, to 84% saturation if I recall it right, which doesn't tell me much but if it's comparabel to O2 partial presure so not too bad (diver.. ) Yes, I'm now feeling much better during day time. Never had any problem waking up but got so tired in the afternoons couldn't think straight.. Had some difficulties to accustom to the device but after the first week been a lot better.
Old 23-09-2019, 04:41   #60
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

This has been a very enlightening thread......

Thanks to OP for asking!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue water, blue water sailing, sail, sailing, water