Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2011, 02:43   #1

Question Coastal Sailing vs. Blue Water Sailing

Hi All

I have never sailed in a boat before. I have grown up using fishing boats (outboard and inboard) on lakes and bays, but never oceans.

My question is there a difference between coastal sailing boats and Water boats">blue water boats. Also how far out form shore would blue water sailing be?

Is there a big price difference between coastal and blue water sailing boats?

How long would it take to travel from WA. to past CA.

The reason I am asking is I would like to try to learn to sail and would like to sail to Southern American (Mexico, Cuba and so on) from BC Canada.

I hope these questions are NOT too lame
Thxz, Playfair
playfair1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:13   #2
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Coastal Sailing vs. Blue Water Sailing

A better distinction would be between 'Racers' and 'Cruisers'.

Racing boats tend to be lighter, flimsier, and sailed closer to the edge. Therefore they break more, and it's good to keep them close to the coast.

Cruising boats are simple boats we take cruising!! Therefore we select them (often) with sturdiness in mind.

Both can be combined. The type of boat I have is a very sturdy cruiser, but was designed as a Racer Cruiser, and it won the TransPac first time... (not my boat, just the design!)

Cruisers tend to be cheaper, since they last longer and so there are more on the market but that's perhaps an over generalisation. Price also depends on age, condition, gadgets etc.

They're a bit like cars really, now I think about it...
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:02   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by playfair1965 View Post

My question is there a difference between coastal sailing boats and blue water boats. Also how far out form shore would blue water sailing be?

Is there a big price difference between coastal and blue water sailing boats?

How long would it take to travel from WA. to past CA.

The reason I am asking is I would like to try to learn to sail and would like to sail to Southern American (Mexico, Cuba and so on) from BC Canada.
No question is lame ;-) Not asking one often is!

There is a difference between a coastal boat and a blue water boat (I skipped the 'cruising' part).

A coastal boat will be designed, optimised and fitted out so that in case of approaching bad weather a shelter in port will be sought. A blue water boat will be designed so that bad weather can be sailed thru or waited out at sea. Oftentimes, a blue water boat will have better cargo (water, food and your stuff) carrying capacity (at least this is a desirable feature).

You can safely cruise coastwise in a blue water boat.

There will often be a difference but price differences by themselves say nothing of the boat - prices will reflect not only the blue / coast thing but also the amount and quality of equipment onboard, the builders work (one-off vs. mass), the country of manufacturing. Brand name will count, historicity, build method ... So to say - price alone is no indication of what the boat is good for.

A 30' sailing boat will cover anything between 70 and 140 Nm a day - much depends on the course vs. the wind direction, wind speed and wave action / currents, etc. (and then also on your sailing skills). Divide the distance to sail by the daily run you expect and you know how much time it may take. I always plan for the lower figure (more days required) and if I am wrong I simply mess around in a spot a like.

Good luck with your expedition. Sailing is great, I hope you will enjoy!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:34   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
A coastal boat will be designed, optimised and fitted out so that in case of approaching bad weather a shelter in port will be sought. A blue water boat will be designed so that bad weather can be sailed thru or waited out at sea. Oftentimes, a blue water boat will have better cargo (water, food and your stuff) carrying capacity (at least this is a desirable feature).

Maybe for a power boat that might be the case, but i would contend that coastal cruising is actually more demanding that deep ocean cruising. The vicinity of dangers, the land and sea interaction, tides etc, make far more demands on the coastal cruiser. Its wroth pointing out that the RYA yachtmaster offshore exam, The pinacle of leisure training is carried out on the coast, doing approaches etc.

The term blue water is more of an advertising term and hence misleading, there are suposidly "blue water" boats that are IMHO nothing of the sort and most well found "coastal" boats are more then adaquate for "blue water". Yes there may be some tankage or equipment fitments that differ.

Dave
Old 06-04-2011, 07:54   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Classically, "coastal" boats were more nimble and faster and come with shallower draft keels to deal with the shallow waters near most coasts. However, the old "blue-water" boats were heavier, more stable, did not like to turn or back up and could take beating and keep on tickin, so to speak. The hull shapes of the two styles was different with more flat or canoe bottoms on the coastal boats and more wine-glass or deep V-full keeled blue-water boats.
- - In today's world were folks have been known to cross ocean in just about anything that floats, the distinctions between the two styles is more historical than functional. Manufacturers are building boats to sell in all the markets possible so you will see many "coastal" boats sailing around the world just fine. With advanced navigation and communications systems avoiding really bad weather at sea is a lot easier than in the old days. So the requirements to have a blue-water boat built like a "brick-shithouse" has become a personal preference rather than a requirement.
- - Some cruisers like the nimbleness and speed of coastal cruisers used out in the oceans and use these attributes to speed up crossings versus "enduring" them in a slower more stable boat.
- - So now, I think, it is more a personal choice of what boat fits your idea of a good place to live and travel the oceans.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:07   #6

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome to CF and enjoy.

With all the above post, there really is bot much more to be said...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:18   #7

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Assuming you will eventually return to Washington state with your vessel without a circumnavigation, you'll probably find it harder and slower on your return north.

There is at least one cruising guide covering the U.S. continental coast. It makes for informative reading.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:18   #8

I want to thank all of you for your information. I guess my next step would be to join a sailing club and learn, learn, learn.

Thxz Again
Playfair
playfair1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:45   #9

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Welcome, playfair1965... as you can see, folks here offer a variety of opinions, all of which have merit but may not be in total agreement. That is the value of CF... we are all bonded by our love of the ocean and you will find heaps of great information. Follow your dreams... most of those here have... Capt Phil By the way, Saucy, my wife says your description of the differences between racers and cruisers apply to husbands as well!
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 16:02   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

coastal cruising is actually more demanding that deep ocean cruising
Have it your way, just note that I omitted the 'cruising' part. I talked a coastal boat versus a blue water boat. I am no expert on cruising. I know a thing or two about boats though.

Demands on the boat are one, demands on the skill and training of the crew are another thing. Sometimes these things come together, at times they go apart.

My thinking was generally, not specifically, along the lines:

CE category

Coastal cruising may be more demanding than ocean cruising. Except that at times you will have this extra option of ducking into a harbour or simply beaching a boat. Oftentimes you will also have better weather forecasting options, rescue services within 24 hours, etc.. No such free lunches offshore.

A boat designed for offshore work can sail anywhere, a boat designed for coastal cruising better stay coastal.

Oceans have been crossed in kayaks too. We all know it. This fact does not make a kayak a blue water boat. Not in my dictionary.

Cheers,
b.
Old 06-04-2011, 17:02   #11
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

it's the difference between a tank and a sport car, which do you want to spend most of your time in given that once in a while there might be a war?
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 18:21   #12

In a sporty tank perhaps.

;-)
b.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:52   #13
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

the coastal cruisers to me are more difficult to handle especially when the weather comes into the equation which it seems is often no matter where you sail. the concept of a racer is one that requires constant attention at the helm which is exactly the opposite of a cruiser that is happy to go in a straight line. both can be difficult in a tight marina setting but the coastal version will show the docking scars a lot quicker. a heavier cruiser presents a more stable platform than the light racer that may react violently to wave and wind action making it unsafe in those circumstances and also more prone to equipment failure.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:29   #14

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Classically, "coastal" boats were more nimble and faster and come with shallower draft keels to deal with the shallow waters near most coasts. However, the old "blue-water" boats were heavier, more stable, did not like to turn or back up and could take beating and keep on tickin, so to speak. The hull shapes of the two styles was different with more flat or canoe bottoms on the coastal boats and more wine-glass or deep V-full keeled blue-water boats.
- - In today's world were folks have been known to cross ocean in just about anything that floats, the distinctions between the two styles is more historical than functional. Manufacturers are building boats to sell in all the markets possible so you will see many "coastal" boats sailing around the world just fine. With advanced navigation and communications systems avoiding really bad weather at sea is a lot easier than in the old days. So the requirements to have a blue-water boat built like a "brick-shithouse" has become a personal preference rather than a requirement.
- - Some cruisers like the nimbleness and speed of coastal cruisers used out in the oceans and use these attributes to speed up crossings versus "enduring" them in a slower more stable boat.
- - So now, I think, it is more a personal choice of what boat fits your idea of a good place to live and travel the oceans.
Wow, after hundreds and hundreds of posts on or about this subject the post above covers it all in a few short statements.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:41   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Coastal Sailing vs. Blue Water Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
More or less encapsulates it.. gud un..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue water sailing, sailing, water