Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2020, 11:30   #16

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Anyone know what happened to bluewaterboats.org?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeepers View Post
Hi, I'm the creator of Sailboat Guide and I am working on keeping BlueWaterBoats.org alive. I had been trying to contact the original author for about six months before the domain expired, but I fear he may have passed away.

I'm still trying to get the bluewaterboats.org domain, but in the mean time, I've made all the content available at https://sailboat.guide/blue-water-boats.

If anyone has any any connections to the original author, let me know.
Yes, thank you for resurrecting it! There also was a section for boats that were not listed but folks had recommended. We’re you able to restore that part too?
Also, will there be a way to upload photos as well?
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 07:50   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 42cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Yes, thank you for resurrecting it! There also was a section for boats that were not listed but folks had recommended. We’re you able to restore that part too?
Also, will there be a way to upload photos as well?
I'm not seeing the list of boats that people had recommended. Can you find it on this archive send me a link to it? https://web.archive.org/web/20190516...aterboats.org/

Yes, we're working on improvements to the site, including allowing people to edit the data and share photos. Hopefully that will be available in the next couple months.
bkeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 13:14   #18

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

You’re right I don’t see it now either. It was a drop down menu I think, entitled “boats to vote for” or something like that. In any case that may be a good feature to include and then if a particular boat gets x number of votes it then qualifies to join the listings. I remember seeing a whole bunch of good candidates before but I can’t recall what they were now. There were quite a few great European boats too as I recall.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 03:42   #19

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Hi, I'm the creator of Sailboat Guide and I am working on keeping BlueWaterBoats.org alive. I had been trying to contact the original author for about six months before the domain expired, but I fear he may have passed away.

I'm still trying to get the bluewaterboats.org domain, but in the mean time, I've made all the content available at https://sailboat.guide/blue-water-boats.

If anyone has any any connections to the original author, let me know.
This looks like a very useful resource. I did notice some glaring anomalies with regards to multihulls that you might like to consider changing.

Please regard this as constructive criticism and I am sure there are many here, myself included who would be glad to help with improvements.

The calculation section is based on purely monohull doctrine, that is completely inaccurate for multihulls.

The following is the entry for a Heavenly Twins catamaran. This is a very robust but heavy and relatively poor performer at the same time is a proven blue water cruiser. It is as far from a coastal racing boat as you can possibly get.
https://sailboat.guide/heavenly-twins

On the other hand a Strider cat with similar dimensions is an out and out daysailer and racer that you would not venture offshore with but that is easily capable of speeds in the high teens even touching 20 knots. The hull speed figure for multihulls is anomalous.
https://sailboat.guide/strider-cat

Looking at larger cats, a Catana 471 is identified as best suited to coastal cruising. Where in reality it is a monster 52ft catamaran aimed squarely at blue water cruising that will not even fit in many coastal harbours.
https://sailboat.guide/catana/471

What I am saying is that the "Calculations" basis when applied to multihulls is very misleading. There are much more useful data, hull length to hull beam ratio, that would apply. It would seem a shame to restrict the site to monohulls only but unfortunately this detracts from the usefulness of what could be the go to place for would be Blue Water Cruisers.

Whatever you decide I wish you every success.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 04:51   #20

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 42cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
I did notice some glaring anomalies with regards to multihulls that you might like to consider changing.
You are absolutely right. The data set we started with was skewed toward monohulls, and our experience is primarily with monohulls, so we inherited that bias. But we intend to correct it. If you could continue to give feedback, it would be very helpful.

Could you point me to any resources on the performance calculations that designers use for multi hulls? For example, here's what we put together for monohulls to better understand the calculations, which cites an in depth explanation for each: https://sailboat.guide/calculations.
bkeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:00   #21

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
You are absolutely right. The data set we started with was skewed toward monohulls, and our experience is primarily with monohulls, so we inherited that bias. But we intend to correct it. If you could continue to give feedback, it would be very helpful.

Could you point me to any resources on the performance calculations that designers use for multi hulls? For example, here's what we put together for monohulls to better understand the calculations, which cites an in depth explanation for each: https://sailboat.guide/calculations.

Great stuff. I don't want to shoot from the hip so when I get some time over the weekend I will do some proper investigation into multihull stats that would be relevant and get back to you.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 23:12   #22

Boat: C&L Sea Ranger 36, Columbia Payne 9.6

Great job keeping BlueWaterBoats.org alive. It might make sense to 301 redirect it to https://sailboat.guide/blue-water-boats or make one an API for data on the other. Just a thought, good work either way
Old 23-03-2020, 10:09   #23

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
I enjoyed browsing there from time to time. Sorry to see it go...
'Wayback Machine' results at web.archive.org:
Sailboat Reviews of Offshore Cruising Yachts : Bluewaterboats.org
Thank you for the link! I had been using that site to research boats too.

Just goes to show nothing ever truly leaves the internet.

And thank you to bkeepers for resurrecting it!
pianopraze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bluewater, boat, water