Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2021, 08:59   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Antagonists - or just me

Your experiences don't mimic mine....I found the Puerto Ricans, to be the most helpful, friendly and accommodating people I have ever been around. Same goes for other island nations.
There is an "art" to dealing with island folk....you need to become friends first, they like to know who they are dealing with. Swinging a fistful of money at these folks with a demanding attitude will get you very little in return except for frustration and exasperation, better to bring along a case of beer to begin negotiations.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:05   #47

Boat: 44 FP Cat & 45 Sea Ray motor yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
In my observation, those who have recurring “bad luck” in developing countries are primarily responsible for their own misfortunes. Some don’t see it, some do but don’t care to adapt.
I did not know Puerto Rico is a developing country. The last time I checked it was a first world island.
Maybe it is just my racism that turned me blind to these facts.

But don’t take it from me, because for some I am just a racist, whilst there is no black contractor involved and none in PUERTO RICO.

Where do you come from with these absurd deductions?
Gerrit Coetzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:11   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Your experiences don't mimic mine....I found the Puerto Ricans, to be the most helpful, friendly and accommodating people I have ever been around. Same goes for other island nations.
There is an "art" to dealing with island folk....you need to become friends first, they like to know who they are dealing with. Swinging a fistful of money at these folks with a demanding attitude will get you very little in return except for frustration and exasperation, better to bring along a case of beer to begin negotiations.
Same with the 5% I dealt with.

I take note of your comments. I will work on my art of negotiations.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:18   #49
Marine Service Provider

I don't know where you get the " there are no blacks in PR" from...your post #40. PR's. come in every shape, size and color. I''ve never seen, known nor experienced racism of any kind in PR .
I've travelled PR from one end to the other and have made many friends there and have come to know countless black contractors.

PR is actually a US territory. It's a far cry from a "developing country".
Old 04-10-2021, 09:20   #50

I am a little confused by the allegations of racism. Call me a racist if I am guilty, but not otherwise.
I had to re-read my intro to double check.

I said:"The remainder of 95% people here hates only on nation more than Americans, and that is Africans. I feel trapped as being Caucasian in this hate spiral."

It reads that I observed that PR-ans hates Americans and Black's. That is why there is none here.

Now suddenly I become the racist?.

People, please - read with comprehension.

I get that I am the problem, but please don't play the race card every time you think you want to say something intellectual. There are NO Black's here.

Everybody is entitled to an opinion, but let it be an objective, fact-filled opinion and not an empty brain rattling.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:32   #51
Marine Service Provider

Leaving PR and sailing north will have you going thru' the Turks and Caicos Islands as well as the B'mas. These are all islands with black governments and black citizenry, but as in PR, my experience has been friendly, helpful and accommodating folk.

As in PR, a friendly attitude goes a long way.

Work in these islands follows a " tomorrow's anudder day" program. If fishing is hot that day, workers will go fish and not work on your boat....it's called " Island time"...it's just the way things get done there...getting pissed off and frustrated will just compound the problem for you, with the result you will be charged double or triple just for a "nuisance factor"...
Old 04-10-2021, 09:38   #52
Marine Service Provider

I don't think it's a racist situation at all.....I think it's an attitude situation...

Reverse the situation for a moment, have someone come at you with a fistful of money and a demanding attitude, you will quickly develop a resistance to to helping that person...

A person coming at you with a big smile, handshake, and a case of beer will get your attention....and your co-operation..

Tags
antagonism, attitude, hate, Racism, unfriendly