Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2023, 07:29   #1

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
YachtWorld changes filters again

I don't know if I'll ever purchase a boat again because I used up my lifetime allotment of UV rays a long time ago but I still like to shop and live vicariously through the members here. In the past week YW changed the filter selection for the worst I think. You can no longer search for boats added recently and you cannot search for boats with a recent price drop. These filter options don't exist anymore.
You can search for newer listings in the "Sort by-Listing Date new to old" tab on the right. I liked the old "added recently" because you could set it for 1,3,7 days etc.
Old 11-08-2023, 07:37   #2

Re: YachtWorld changes filters again

I hate the loss of added in X days options and It appears you can only search by country not continent now.
Old 11-08-2023, 08:23   #3

ya bummer
I just logged on and Noticed that the region feature was gone. Oh well. I also liked the old way to search by region. I guess if they get enough bad feedback then they willl change it back

dwh
dhenline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 09:02   #4

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 49

YW has been loosing features and aquiring bugs at an accelerating rate. Such a shame.
Student_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 09:24   #5

Boat: Between boats at the moment aka Fender

The currency feature has also vanished eg show the asking price in Euros
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 22:51   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I seem to remember that they went through a huge change for the worst about 10 years ago and slowly getting worst. I wonder if the changes are driven by yacht brokers. Wouldn't surprise me a bit.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2023, 05:44   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CHB/MT D/C Trawler, 34'

They were bought out. Used to be run by very nice people, new owners have outsourced the web dev to the low bidder and it really shows.

Brokers and API users are all unhappy
Moosemiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2023, 06:33   #8

Boat: Custom 28' Power Catamaran

When they got rid of the KEYWORD search. That was a weird one. Why would they do that?

BEFORE they made that change I was looking for a boat with a newer engine for a long trip. Typed in “repowered”, found a boat, bought it, cruised. Now I would have to look through and read the text in thousands of listings. Why would they loose the keyword?
massnspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2023, 08:41   #9

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnspace View Post
When they got rid of the KEYWORD search. That was a weird one. Why would they do that?

BEFORE they made that change I was looking for a boat with a newer engine for a long trip. Typed in “repowered”, found a boat, bought it, cruised. Now I would have to look through and read the text in thousands of listings. Why would they loose the keyword?
Probably they can boast about a very increased user interaction time on the site. More user interaction time=more ads consumed=higher earnings.
They can do this because they don't have fierce competition.
Old 28-08-2023, 07:03   #10
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

I always ran 7-9 open windows with searches that i could easily refresh. The takeover adverts were becoming too obnoxious, and this new stupidity of YW - i now have zero open searches or windows, and haven’t been back to the site since. Filtered google search opened my eyes to more boat sources now.
Old 28-08-2023, 07:23   #11

Boat: Pearson 386

Yes YW used to have a website that had some better tools for the user. Not surprising following a change of ownership that things have gone South and they may not get better anytime soon. Definitely frustrating. Website developers are much more common today but if you are somewhat clueless as to what features your users expect and you can't tell the builder exactly what you want, you get what you got.
OneBoatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2023, 08:33   #12

I used to have YW with coffee. Now it's so frustrating to use I avoid it all together and just when you think it can't get worse, they find a way... Seems like the perfect time for a competitor to come in...
r.stokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2023, 09:47   #13

You would think, if you owned the site, that you would simply install the older version. I wonder if the Brokers that use it are not complaining to the sites owner. Like r.stokes said, I also use to sit down with coffee and see what was for sale and how the market was trending.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 28-08-2023, 09:56   #14

Boat: None

The changes are intentional, and they don't want the old version back. Every change has been to increase the number of page loads, and thus the number of ads that a given user will see.

Remember, the old search allowed you to tick all the things you wanted to search for, and then run the search. Now, each time you tick an item, the search page runs the search and reloads. This is called an incremental search, and the only purpose it serves here is to make the page, and the ads, load again, over and over.

Greed...
Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2023, 12:22   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribbeachbum View Post
The changes are intentional, and they don't want the old version back. Every change has been to increase the number of page loads, and thus the number of ads that a given user will see.
Remember, the old search allowed you to tick all the things you wanted to search for, and then run the search. Now, each time you tick an item, the search page runs the search and reloads. This is called an incremental search, and the only purpose it serves here is to make the page, and the ads, load again, over and over.
Greed...

I can't see how that makes sense with all the people that either stopped using it or uses it a lot less.

Tags
yacht