Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17-11-2011, 16:02   #10

Boat: none...
Re: What Will Happen to Boat Pricing when Euro Is Under Par to USD ?

Thanks for everyone's replys.

Much of it makes sense. I am currently pretty large long a 2x inverse Euro ultrashort ETF(EUO).This is pretty much a longer term way to short the euro without buying/seling the futures contract or forex. I found the forex and actual futures markets best left to traders who can handle the crazy interday moves on who said what or what the latest europeon rumour is.

As far as the euro- I think its toast-at least in its current form.

Interesting will be the effect on 2nd hand boat pricing. For instance when the euro rallied against the dollar these past 5 years- you didnt see the individual US boat sellers raise their pricing because the dollar was so weak. Most didnt even know or care too much about this. Basically 400k usd was 400k USD regardelss of what the euro,pound,yen ,franc was doing.

some here are suggesting that lets say a french individual who had to unload their Catana and was selling it for lets say- 400k EU. He was unable to selll it for a year. For arguments sake- lets say during that time the Euro was falling towards dollar parity. Many are saying here that he would now raise the price of the boat to match the falling rate of the EU to lets say 500k EU.

there is no way he would do that (new builders-maybe). So that 400k EU Catana 47 that would cost me 560kusd this year- right now -would in fact only cost me 400k usd next year with the exchange at even parity.
vegasandre is offline   Reply With Quote