Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2022, 11:00   #16

Boat: Seaward 25
Re: UPDATE: Reduce Offer After Survey?

Before going further, I would run this by your insurance agent.
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 11:05   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

i dont think aspersions on the sellers character are appropriate here- seems like he was upfront and is willing to have repaired-- if it were me i would want to look at the interior personally and closely then follow the repair thru from start to finish- boats get damaged it is a fact of life and is why there is a significant repair industry. As long as he was repairing it PROPERLY and it is on his nickel AND you can follow it step by step then i would move ahead with the proviso that you could pull out at any time- after all he is going to have to get it repaired to sell it any way so he doesn't have anything to lose by allowing you access to it while getting repaired.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 11:46   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madehn View Post
i dont think aspersions on the sellers character are appropriate here- seems like he was upfront and is willing to have repaired-- if it were me i would want to look at the interior personally and closely then follow the repair thru from start to finish- boats get damaged it is a fact of life and is why there is a significant repair industry. As long as he was repairing it PROPERLY and it is on his nickel AND you can follow it step by step then i would move ahead with the proviso that you could pull out at any time- after all he is going to have to get it repaired to sell it any way so he doesn't have anything to lose by allowing you access to it while getting repaired.
Reread post #10. Owner wanted to sell in 2020 and crack appeared at survey. Lousy repair - looks like a 3-year old stuff Play-Doh in and painted over. Then owner had his soft grounding.

So, suggestion is he deserves benefit of the doubt to repair properly now? Why is he motivated to do it properly now when he wasn't in 2020 when he was getting ready for sale?

Sorry, this is a bad seller and a hi-risk deal.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 11:46   #19

Boat: Baba 40

If the owner appears otherwise diligent, and you’re in the loop on the repair, I might suggest you hang in a bit longer. As others have pointed out, it could be a death knell or simply an (expensive) repair the owner’s willing to pay for before any decision is made. I’d have a different surveyor on hand after, though.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 12:01   #20

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

A "good deal" depends on many things. I agree that you should move forward cautiously but if properly evaluated and repaired then all is good.

I disagree with painting the current owner negatively based on the info above. Just not enough evidence without a lot of assumptions to do that.

Good luck with you purchase be it this boat or another one.

Foster
flee27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 12:09   #21

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_R View Post
........The surveyor noted it as a deficiency and said to repair it.........and gave a survey value within $24 of what I offered. .....would YOU run away? Would you trust the owner to hire the repair done, if it had already been patched once a reappeared? Or would you get an independent estimate and ask for an price allowance?
1. Damage is a deficiency that needs a repair.
2. Marine insurer will require a copy of the survey and signed Compliance Certification that confirms repair was completed and when OR when it will be completed.
3. Get several independent quotes from boatyards and specialty boat contractors on the repair scope work and cost to make a proper, permanent repair and if you still like the boat request a "Repair Allowance" from the Seller OR request the Seller to make the repair contingent on your approval of the contractor and scope of work.
4. Surveyor's boat value just reflects your offer.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 12:59   #22

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Dave R: You got this far with evaluating and making an offer for this boat, so emotional investment is high. Altho difficult, would temper that with suggestions made so far, including sale contingent upon you arranging for inspection/repair of this issue with the seller paying. Nothing done on any boat is $24! So for your surveyor to suggest as much is ludicrous and leads me to doubt his advice overall. Would find a reputable, local boat yard, ask about their experience with Gulfstars and repairs of this type. Inform seller of as much and have repair cost written into sales contract as addendum. His agent should be able to do. Lastly, final sale contingent upon surveyor (a different one from initial) inspection/evaluation/sign off of said repair. thnks
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 15:15   #23

Boat: Nonsuch 30Ultra Grand Banks 36

You should not put any money into the hands of brokers, seller. or escrow until after repair is completed, signed off by a different surveyor, and your insurance company accepts the evidence submitted as proper from their standpoint. No "conditional acceptance" agreements.
Fix it, I return with the team.
Good Luck,
Don
MultiCountryDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 19:19   #24

So many people are misunderstanding that $24 sentence...
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 19:26   #25

Boat: Beneteau 40 CC

With enough money anything can be fixed, but is it worth it? That boat would need a lot of discount to make it worth it in my eyes given all the uncertainty.
Networker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 06:05   #26

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
Run away, run away, run very far away.

There are plenty of good boats out there. Hull repairs like that need the attention of experts. Paint can though cover many issues. And $24 to repair in a survey report, that's clearly no more than the cost of paint and brush. It all smells fishy bad.
I'm not sure that's what he meant. I'm thinking he meant 24 dollars from the price offered by poster.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:48   #27

Boat: Hunter 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonscove View Post
I'm not sure that's what he meant. I'm thinking he meant 24 dollars from the price offered by poster.
Correct. The surveyor's assessed value of the boat came in at $24 different from the asking price. The surveyor showed his math with comparable listings, but that's still a remarkable coincidence.

We got much more than that (a fair value) on the allowance for repairs after the survey.
Dave_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 08:29   #28

I dont know if that is a bolt on keel or not?
If not, then that appears to be a very poor repair job, and difficult to say what's under there but I would go no further.
If a bolt on keel, it COULD be just cosmetic and poorly faired etc.
Friends of mine had a Gulfstar 44 and sailed it to OZ. It was a pretty good boat.

If you do pursue this boat, double check all the interior cabinetry bond to the hull. Sometimes when a boat hits hard enough to do damage in the area around the keel, it also flexes enough to crack the tabbing for the cabinetry as well as even the engine bed !

Ignore the surveyors assessed value. It's bunk. And usually just to support the sale.

If you go forward DO NOT allow the yard who fixed this the first time to do it!
-There's a bunch of filler in there, it was poorly catalyzed and they did a terrible job.
-Check around for a good yard or repair person that can work in the yard it is in.
-Insist that you have right of refusal once the area is exposed.
-Insist that most of the repair be layed up fiberglass not filler.
-If they wont comply, walk away.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 08:55   #29

Boat: Hunter 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I dont know if that is a bolt on keel or not?
If not, then that appears to be a very poor repair job, and difficult to say what's under there but I would go no further.
If a bolt on keel, it COULD be just cosmetic and poorly faired etc.
Friends of mine had a Gulfstar 44 and sailed it to OZ. It was a pretty good boat.

If you do pursue this boat, double check all the interior cabinetry bond to the hull. Sometimes when a boat hits hard enough to do damage in the area around the keel, it also flexes enough to crack the tabbing for the cabinetry as well as even the engine bed !

Ignore the surveyors assessed value. It's bunk. And usually just to support the sale.

If you go forward DO NOT allow the yard who fixed this the first time to do it!
-There's a bunch of filler in there, it was poorly catalyzed and they did a terrible job.
-Check around for a good yard or repair person that can work in the yard it is in.
-Insist that you have right of refusal once the area is exposed.
-Insist that most of the repair be layed up fiberglass not filler.
-If they wont comply, walk away.
Yes, all this is done. The seller knows the original repair was cosmetic, only. We are overseeing the repair properly, with our guy who knows what he's doing.
Dave_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 12:01   #30

I don't know anything about this particular boat design...
I have read a few accounts of people that have lost their keel at sea to disastrous effect!!!
Proceed with caution!!!
solosail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offer, survey