Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2021, 12:24   #1

Seller refuses haul out

Hi All,

I’ve been intetested in purchasing a boat for some time now and have done alot of research on which ones I want and will best fit my needs.

I thought i finally found the perfect boat not too far away from me in CA. The boat is really clean and looks well taken care of (pictures and walk around) and is the very model I wanted.

The seller agreed to my offer ~25k for 33’ motor yacht and contingencies except he is unwilling to allow a hual out. I offered to hire an insured captain if the listing broker was inable to take it to place to haul it out but seller says he wants to be the only one driving the boat but he doesnt want to take 8 hours of his day to do it - although he has offered to do a sea trial with me.

I asked when was last time a hual out survey was done on the boat and listing broker said that when seller originally purchased the boat a few years ago he did inspection himself underwater (as a diver) but didnt haul it out. So I offered to hire a diver but havent heard back.

I have a feeling i shouldnt just walk away from this boat I should run but its the exact boat im looking for and looks really clean and well taken care of.

Question to forum members: why would someone refuse a hual out? Is this a common thing that happens during sale procesd? Is it likely there is damage underneath and he doesnt want a hual out because if its found and i walk away from sale he would have to disclose it to future parties - or is his excuse of not wanting to take the time to do a hual out on a 25k AS-IS boat legitimate?

Look forward to feedback.

Pete in Los Angeles
Pete435231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 12:32   #2

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Seller refuses haul out

Tell him he's dreaming and you'll walk away if you cannot carry out an out of water survey, $25K is real money to most sensible people.
Old 17-04-2021, 12:44   #3

clarification on last sentence. meant to say ‘common’ not ‘legitimate’. Also, the boat is over 20 years old.
Pete435231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 12:51   #4

Boat: Norseman 447

It sounds to me as if the seller isn’t very anxious to sell it. Personally, any boat that costs more than I’m willing to throw away needs an out-of-the-water survey. I’d walk away.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 13:01   #5
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

He knows a haulout will reveal something (or some things) that you will use to negotiate the price down. Maybe you don't survey a $5000 boat but a $25,000 boat? I would.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 13:03   #6

He already told why he wouldn't.

Your call as to whether you buy that (pi!!!) or not.

Would it really be eight hours out of one of his days?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 13:05   #7

Boat: 45f5

Work with your gut. I personally would insist on a haul out inspection if that is what you want. Otherwise walk.
Apollo19.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 13:15   #8

I would walk. Why would he refuse to have anyone drive if he's selling it anyway? Something could be amiss, especially since he's wiling to do a sea trial!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 13:44   #9

Cautionary tale from yesterday (April 16th, 2021):

For those of you who don't know him, Fore and Aft is a highly reputable Australian Surveyor and Forum Member:

Just Get a Survey
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ey-249549.html

Haul that boat, Pete, or DO NOT buy it!
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 13:51   #10

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

It is unreasonable for a seller wishing to collect your $25,000 not to allow an appropriate inspection of the product he is selling. If this original price seems too good to be true and lower than all the other comparable boats, then it may well be "too good to be true".

Once money has been transferred, there is little recourse, outside of legal action, to remedy any damage. Such action may well cost more than the damage and you will be paying the price. If this is ok with you, go ahead and take your chances, but.........

You may consider a contract that has an amount of monies set aside to be transferred to the seller once you are satisfied there is no undisclosed damage.

Be wary of these situations.

Picture: "topsides needs paint"!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cher Ami 02.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	236716  
Phantom Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 13:51   #11

Boat: Tayana 37

Walk away unless $25K is throw away money for you. I mean maybe it is. For me I might agree to something like this if it is was <$5K. However if $25K isn't throw away money for you walk away. There are always other boats.

I would add if the seller is against this he isn't motivated to see so even if problems are discovered potentially expensive problems (challenging to do without a haulout) an unmotivated seller may not be willing to make reasonable concessions on price.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 13:54   #12

Guy doesn't think $25K is worth a bit of his time? He's either hiding something or he's someone I wouldn't want to deal with anyway. Walk away. There will be other boats with more reasonable vendors.
PatB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 13:59   #13

Boat: 29 ft

It takes two to tango. He won't dance to your tune, you won't dance to his tune - the two of you won't dance together. Find another boat. And try to be open to other types of boat as well. You have fallen in love with a specific design, that is narrowing your choices a lot and is making your life difficult. Other designers also have nice offspring.
Hesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 14:06   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete435231 View Post
I have a feeling i shouldnt just walk away from this boat I should run...
Answered your own question.

Haul out for a survey is an absolutely normal thing for a purchase like this. If he won't go along with it, he is going to have a big problem selling the boat.

My guess is that he'll come back in a month or two and practically BEG you to get it hauled out for a survey. And if he doesn't... Well, there are just too many sellers out there who are reasonable about this kind of thing to waste your time with this guy.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 14:23   #15

You will need insurance for a marina. Insurance will require an out of water survey. If you buy this boat, there's a survey in your future just a matter of who carries the risk of defect.

The guy is a jerk. Your offer was not accepted. Move on.

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
haul out, purchase, survey