Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2017, 11:09   #16

Re: Marina finds

I've seen it happen on several occasions. On each of the occasions I've seen the mechanics lien, or storage lien was higher than the value of the vessel.

I've seen a few, where the owner simply abandoned the vessel because the cost of repair exceeded the value of the vessel AND the cost of disposal exceeded the value of the vessel as well.

Nobody walks away from a sound $30,000 vessel free and clear of liens.

There are no free lunches and no free/cheap boats.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 11:54   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I believe that the hey day of boat finds was years ago.
Last power boat I bought I was talking to the Broker that said most often that on closing two checks were written.
1 by the buyer to purchase the boat
2nd written by the seller that along with the purchasers check, paid off the lien, and these were newish, expensive boats.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 12:29   #18

Boat: PDQ 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbourboy View Post
Read an entry today from a yard in Maine that was trying recover some of their costs on a boat that was left there. In the end, someone scored the Morgan 38 for $5000. My question is this - how rare an occurrence is that and where would one search for such finds if they exist.
Here is a boat auction company, there is a Beneteau 35 in Maryland and a Morgan 40 in Florida on their list. http://usauctions.com

I've never a boat at auction, but for other things I've gotten some good bargains at auctions. I once went on vacation, went to an auction and ended up paying for my whole vacation with the profits.
KiminAK is offline   Reply With Quote