Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2017, 05:04   #1

Boat: MacGregor 23
Relative costs

Currently considering 2 different boats - a 38' and a 44'. Do the operating costs of owning the larger boat increase linearly or exponentially? I seem to recall a cost tipping point at 40' but would sure appreciate some informed feedback. Thanks
harbourboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:08   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Relative costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbourboy View Post
Currently considering 2 different boats - a 38' and a 44'. Do the operating costs of owning the larger boat increase linearly or exponentially? I seem to recall a cost tipping point at 40' but would sure appreciate some informed feedback. Thanks
Exponentially. Be wise. Buy the smallest boat that will reasonably satisfy your needs, not the largest boat you can afford.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:15   #3

Thanks so much for your prompt and wise reply. Really relate to your quote as well.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:51   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Exponentially. Be wise. Buy the smallest boat that will reasonably satisfy your needs, not the largest boat you can afford.
I agree wholeheartedly but between a 38' and a 44' there are other factors to consider such as hull design, relative age, extent and quality of equipment, general quality of construction, etc.

A 38' Island Packet is going to need more bottom paint than a 44' Beneteau. But it's going to have higher quality hardware and systems with a longer service life. 40' is probably a good rough tipping point, where hardware gets upsized...bigger winches, heavier hardware throughout. But again that Island Packet is going to have all that stuff given the boat's displacement, vs. a lighter displacement boat that is longer on deck.

And as soon as you start adding generators, water makers, AC, all systems which are potentially expensive to repair and maintain, you're in divergent territory based on the outfitting of the boat.

Evan's boat Hawk, 48', was designed from the ground up to be low maintenance and robust. I'm going to guess that even while putting tens of thousands of miles on it that their maintenance costs were substantially lower than your typical cruising boat.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:04   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I would prefer the bigger boat.
At sea the increased feeling of safety is worth the extra dollars.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:17   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Some 38' boats are as big as some 44' boats as far as interior living space, and some 38' boats are more comfortable in seas than some 44' boats.
Then you get into the fact that some boats use different measuring metrics I guess it's called and are actually dimensionaly smaller than other boats that are supposedly the same size.
However almost certainly the bigger boat will be faster.
You will have some offer the argument that when based on a per foot basis, a bigger boat is cheaper, although I have no idea of the relevance of that.

You may be surprised on what outfitting a boat to cruise will cost, depending on how much equipment you want to have, so do not spend the majority of your money on a boat, buying the thing is only the beginning of expenses, not the end. It is not like buying a car.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:19   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

Unless the designs are nearly very similar ;-) (say a bene 38 vs. a bene 44, same age) you cannot truly compare.

One 44 footer can be cheaper to buy and to hold than another 38 footer. But this may shift to the opposite with a different pair of boats.

As a rule, other things very similar, bigger IS more expensive.

And I do not think a 38 to 44 is a huge change. Say a 25% more expensive give and take.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:02   #8

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

As others have said bigger will cost more. How much depends of many things. Slip/mooring fees may be huge or not in my case 37 to 50 foot it wasn't. But if I moved marinas it would be. Paint yup more lines from dock to running yup more but not huge more linear in increase.
But a unused 38 costs WAY more than a used whatever size boat. If the 44 is what you want and will use cost won't be as high a deal. Yup may have to upgrade slower but it shouldn't be a deal breaker upkeep wise.
Still wise advice go as small as you will be happy with.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:34   #9

Thanks so much everyone. I very much appreciate your time and thoughtfulness. There are several variables involved in the purchase decision but, for arguments sake, the purchase and fit up prices are similar. The unknown for me is how much more expensive the Gulfstar 44 will be to cruise on than the Morgan 38. I'm drawn to the aft cabin, the extra speed and comfort of the 44 (I'm 6' 3", so headroom is a bit of an issue) but not if it's going to mercilessly drain the cruising kitty.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:47   #10

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Those are both old boats, so condition of each specific boat will have more to do with cost than size. Again get the model you like. Easier to spend money on something you love vs just like...
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:49   #11

I don't think the operating/maintenance cost is much of a deal between those two sizes.. It can all add up if it needs big things though: engine, sails etc. There may be no difference at all in the amount of bottom paint needed... depending. Friends of mine cruised to OZ in a GS44..... or was it a 43? cant remember. Comfortable boats. I second the thought that the longer the boat, the better sea comfort and speed. But I could see that 38 being a bit easier to handle maybe also. It's all a trade off.
Buy a boat with the least big items needing redone. Boats with nothing wrong are always a project, boats purchased with a list to start are discouraging as hell.
After having boats in the 45 ft range I found it very hard to go back to smaller due to speed and comfort. 38 would be a nice size though. Watch waterline length, that determines how "big" the boat will feel more than overall length.
Have you considered Island Packet or others?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:28   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

There are the obvious differences with the costs that are calculated by length such as slip fees and haul outs; however, I see another factor related to the costs of these boats that has greater impact than the length difference between the 38 and the 44. ..... the "X" factor.

Let's say item X is broken and requires repair. Which do you do?

1- Tell the boatyard that X is broken and have them fix it.
2- Remove X and send it out for repair and then re-install X yourself.
3- Do all the repair of X yourself.

I very rarely choose plan #1. $$$$$$$$$$$$
I choose plan #2 with selected projects. $$$$$$
I favor plan #3 when I'm able. $$

Plan #3 gives you more independence, knowledge are security.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:04   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
There are the obvious differences with the costs that are calculated by length such as slip fees and haul outs; however, I see another factor related to the costs of these boats that has greater impact than the length difference between the 38 and the 44. ..... the "X" factor.

Yep!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:32   #14

Boat: Valiant 40

Is it the old Morgan 38 or the Brewer design? If the former I'd take the Gulfstar over the Morgan even with the increased costs. It's a MUCH roomier boat, more modern design, significantly faster. It's kinda apples to oranges. The later style is actually very similar to the Gulfstar, although I think the Gulfstar holds a slight edge on build quality. I'd probably take whichever boat was in better condition and appeared better cared for, all other things being equal.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:34   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post

Well said. Fortunately, I'm the guy people come to in 1 & 2 and I totally agree with you - fixing it yourself is not only vastly more economical, you also know your boat from stem to stern. Can't wait.