Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 11:20   #1

Boat: Actively in the market again
pirate Cruising on a Military Pension

I have scoured the site and see nothing fairly new about Cruisers living the dream on a Military Pension...

Anyone out there?

For me: I figure that worse case scenario, my wife, daughter and I will have $25,000 a year from my Military Pension (probably a bit more). I'm confident with that, savings and investments, we will be able to live the life for infinity (or I die, which ever comes first ).

My hope is to find other Military that are planning this or are currently doing this.
armyblues83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:44   #2

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind
Re: Cruising on a Military Pension

RA all the way! Got my degree at the university of South Vietnam 68 -69.
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:07   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

I feel you can cruise/live on a boat for $25k/year IF: the boat is paid for, equipped to so, and is in good general condition.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:53   #4

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

Well, I'm "sorta" eligible for a kind of V.A. pension(a supplement), that will go far as soon as I reach 65 and at about $1000 a month, I hope to be living "high on the hog", comparatively.

Don't forget to add the worth of the medical care too.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:07   #5

You can also get a deal at some nice marinas. My friends stayed near Norfolk for quite a while cheap.
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 02:49   #6

Boat: Sailing R/C models while I save for the real boat!

ArmyBlues83- Active Duty AF here. 5 years from retirement eligibility. Been saving for about 5 years. Depending on how much I've gotten socked away for the boat by then, I may stay till 22. I'll be E-8 by the time I hit 20. I think with currrent figures, it works out to about $24K/yr. I figure the old "You spend what you make" adage holds true here.
LiveLife76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 06:12   #7

Boat: Island Packet IP38

Hi,
I have been doing it for almost 5 years now. There are a lot of great military marinas. All the marinas allow transients some allow liveaboards. Shopping at the PX and commisary when we are in the US saves a bunch. We spent 2 months cruising the Bahamas this year and we are looking at Mexico next year. I find it much more affordable than living on the dirt if you are capable of doing your own maint. If you love the ocean I don't think you can find a much better retirement plan.
Bucky205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 07:03   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

an individual is able to cruise on less than 20k per year. folks i know are cruising on less than 15k per year--but they do their own work. they spend less than 300 dollars per month on foods and eat very very well. (as long as they are out of usa waters, wherein all is so pricey is unreal and very unfortunate)
inside usa, there are marinas that cater to miltitary--vets as wellas active duty. there are also boats for sale in these marinas. you may wish to check them out. good luck and have fun!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 21:04   #9

pirate Re: Cruising on a Military Pension

My husband is 13 yrs AD USCG and we're currently discussing ditching dry land for living aboard. Will take a fair amount of planning, but I love hearing that there's stuff out there for military folks.

Happy to discuss further, if you like. I'm really green to this, but he's been a plankowner for most of his career and only on land for two tours. Salt is in our souls!

Fair winds, following seas...

~Danielle
JerseyMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 22:13   #10
Marine Service Provider

We have friends out cruising with their kids on less than $25K/year. We spent under $1K/month with just the wife and I.
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 22:17   #11

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

As long as we don't break things, eat in fancy restaurants, and take expensive tours, we can live on $500 to $1000 per month when cruising and anchoring out.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 09:33   #12

My husband will like those numbers. Tho I know it will fluctuate greatly given the size of the boat, living style, mooring/marina costs and where we are located. Currently in Cape May, I think mooring is no terrible headache but with his next transfer things could be tricky depending on the location. All depends upon his next promotion, which will either be Warrant or Master Chief. Yayyyyyy the wait.
JerseyMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 19:24   #13

To all who posted that served: Thank You.

JerseyMermaid, Thank you for your service as well, it takes a special kind of woman to stick with a Military man for the long haul.

I am determined to live aboard/circumnavigate on a modest disabled Vet. pension, and hope to supplement that with occassional work as a helicopter mechanic.

I just need to get a boat first, and sailing lessons/experience, and a tons of other stuff that I had no idea about until I found this forum.

Good Luck!!

William the would-be-wanderer
WannaBeWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 20:09   #14

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Welcome !! lots of folks cruise like Connie and I for less than you will have to go on !!We spend from 800 to 1200 dollars a month depending on whether or not we go to marina ! At 800 bucks we don't do much dineing out LOL but we still eat better then a lot of shore folks, what with there fast food and such !! We spend most of our time at anchor, and eat a lot of fish and Local veggies, and when in Mexico we eat and freeze a lot of beef !!How much cruiseing costs depends on your lifestyle !! It can be close to the bone like us with our Older Mono Hull at anchor or more expensive in a way newer boat ! but either way ya need to do almost ALL of the work aboard your self in order to cruise for less money !! just our 2 cents

Tags
cruising