Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2012, 19:29   #1

Boat: prairie32 cutter
Buying a Cruising Chute

Wanted to throw this question out re buying cruising chute. I have the opportunity to obtain a brand new asym with ATN snuffer for <1k. which would give the best bang for the buck. new solar panels and wind generator rebuild or the asym. Thanks for any input. Am headed back to Ak for the summer then down to the SP in the fall.
Old 28-02-2012, 19:53   #2

Boat: Explorer 45
Send a message via Skype™ to Brazil
I bought my Genaker at North direct last December . Unbelievable price 1600.00 + 400 for the snufer ( 52 luff) . Almost paid more than that for a used one on Ebay. It was on sale (20% discount) but the price did not show online, so make sure you call and ask for a discount.
Brazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 21:07   #3

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Cruising Chute

Sail or electrical system? Apples to oranges question. What kind of sailing are you doing? What do you want to do, and where are you?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 21:08   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPGALLANT32
This thread looks dead but wanted to throw this question out re buying cruising chute. I have the opportunity to obtain a brand new asym with ATN snuffer for <1k. which would give the best bang for the buck. new solar pannels and wind generator rebuild or the asym. Thanks for any input. Am headed back to Ak for the summer then down to the SP in the fall.
I think only you can decide how to spend your boat bucks.

Whats more critical right now. Electricity or sailing downwind?

@Bash - I asked the mods to move the "new" post and related replies to a new thread...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 21:17   #5

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

$US 5250 sounds ballpark right for a decent brand new spinnaker for a 43 footer...

But, as has been mentioned before, buying second hand is a much cheaper option.

Personally, I'd try and find the Farr 40 OD owners in your area and see if any of them have cheap spinnakers for sale.

Farr 40 OD was (and kinda still is) a very strong one-design keelboat class. Three or four years ago, they changed the class rules to allow masthead spinnakers, and overnight, all their fractional spinnakers became essentially obsolete. So lots of opportunity to buy Farr 40 OD fractional kites for a fraction of a new kite price... we have 2 of these puppies (0.6oz all purpose and 0.5oz runner) that we paid $500 each for... and they were in pretty much "as new" condition.

In general, people who can afford to campaign a Farr 40 OD can afford to update their sails regularly and don't really need to squeeze every dollar out of on-selling older sails...
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 21:58   #6

Boat: prairie32 cutter
Re: Buying a Cruising Chute

The asym I found is brand new with the ATN snuffer for 800.00 $, My solar pannels are 15 yrs old and I need new blades for the airx. cost 800.00$ Am currently actively cruising Alaska and Canada, Lots of light winds in the summer. Am headed to the SP in the late summer this yr. Dont have a ton of power consumption. SSB , and water maker use the most juice when running which is not a lot right now. so thinking ahead for when I return to the tropics, thanks for the input
Old 18-11-2012, 03:17   #7

Boat: Tartan S&S 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
$US 5250 sounds ballpark right for a decent brand new spinnaker for a 43 footer...

But, as has been mentioned before, buying second hand is a much cheaper option.

Personally, I'd try and find the Farr 40 OD owners in your area and see if any of them have cheap spinnakers for sale.

Farr 40 OD was (and kinda still is) a very strong one-design keelboat class. Three or four years ago, they changed the class rules to allow masthead spinnakers, and overnight, all their fractional spinnakers became essentially obsolete. So lots of opportunity to buy Farr 40 OD fractional kites for a fraction of a new kite price... we have 2 of these puppies (0.6oz all purpose and 0.5oz runner) that we paid $500 each for... and they were in pretty much "as new" condition.

In general, people who can afford to campaign a Farr 40 OD can afford to update their sails regularly and don't really need to squeeze every dollar out of on-selling older sails...
Thats one hell of a price check out www.thesailsshop.com less than half that price NEW
tartanss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 04:25   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

If you 're' means either or then I would buy the sail for sailing but rather spend money on solar and wind if living aboard. Just see which you will use more over next 12 months or so.

Re the kite, do not buy one that is not right size for your boat. I like chutes that can be made tight between the halyard and the tack attachment point. Not possible if luff too long. A slightly too short a luff is often less of an issue.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 07:10   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel
If you 're' means either or then I would buy the sail for sailing but rather spend money on solar and wind if living aboard. Just see which you will use more over next 12 months or so.

Re the kite, do not buy one that is not right size for your boat. I like chutes that can be made tight between the halyard and the tack attachment point. Not possible if luff too long. A slightly too short a luff is often less of an issue.

b.
Amen to that. I have a short asym. Unless it is cranked super tight it is almost out of control. I have an ATN Tacker on my list of wanna haves. Along with a bow sprit...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 15:44   #10
Marine Service Provider

Most of the inexpensive asym spinnakers are made out of the cheapest cloth, which is usually 1.5 oz nylon. The problem with 1.5 oz cloth is that the sail will be a lot tougher to fly in light air than a well designed sail with 0.75 oz cloth. Contrary to popular thinking, the larger the assym is, the more challenging it is to fly in the light stuff.

The best asym spins will be custom designed for the boat. We do both "off the shelf" and custom.

Like so many other things, you get what you pay for.
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote