Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2020, 19:53   #136

Re: Cruisers Forum Insurance ?

It's a crapshoot.

Some boatyards and marinas do, and some do not require proof of insurance. It is not a geographic thing, it is random.

We have traveled from Nova Scotia to the BVI. About half the marinas or boatyards want to see insurance. A very few want to be listed as "also insured" on the policy, but that has only been for stays of more than a month.

If you have no liability policy, you'd be very limited where you could stay. I have to say, if it was MY marina, you would need insurance. I would not want the possibility of cleaning up after your mess.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 20:12   #137

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Insurance for cruising S Pacific?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrancher View Post
Hi Folks I am sailing from US West coast to French Polynesia in March. I would like insurance however I have gotten only one crazy high quote from a US broker all other brokers can’t quote. Any suggestions? Any brokers in the S Pacific that specialize in covering cruisers in the region? Thanks Ben S/V DAWN
There are no deals available for offshore insurance now. In many cases you are lucky to get a quote. There is one company that is well know for easy underwriting requirements, low quotes and almost never paying out claims. Stay clear of them.

You might try getting a quote here from the Marina Shop in NZ. They will cover US boats outside of the US.
https://www.marine-insurance.co.nz/
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 20:16   #138

Whether insurance is required or not depends a lot on what part of the world you are in., We've needed to show insurance in a fair number of marinas and in at least two countries.
Old 22-12-2020, 03:50   #139

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
Valid point. A day or even a few days stay most likely is not going to raise an insurance requirement. But sooner or later they are going to require something. There could be a multitude of reasons why a cruiser might need to lay up for an extended period of time. Both for personal reasons and/or boat reasons.

Agreed. It does seem to be a growing reality, especially on the US east coast.
Old 22-12-2020, 07:14   #140
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Agreed. It does seem to be a growing reality, especially on the US east coast.

Of course , any organised marina is going to want to see third party insurance
Old 22-12-2020, 07:22   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Of course , any organised marina is going to want to see third party insurance
Well, like I said, I've never been asked to show that for any transient dockage I've taken. The only times it's been a question is for hauling and long-term storage.

Not saying some places don't demand insurance for all levels of service, but I haven't seen it. And my sense (from reading here) is that it's mostly an issue on the east coast of the USA. But like so many bad ideas, it tends to spread.
Old 22-12-2020, 08:26   #142
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Cruisers Forum Insurance ?

Quote:
Well, like I said, I've never been asked to show that for any transient dockage I've taken. The only times it's been a question is for hauling and long-term storage.

Not saying some places don't demand insurance for all levels of service, but I haven't seen it. And my sense (from reading here) is that it's mostly an issue on the east coast of the USA. But like so many bad ideas, it tends to spread.

Certainly all over the Med in any private marina I’ve been to, the first piece of paper they all want to see is insurance. Ownership papers less important , same all over the U.K. , canaries , Northern Europe , and also several marinas in the US , Florida etc.

Only when it was a public dock I found that insurance wasn’t demanded
Old 22-12-2020, 08:39   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Certainly all over the Med in any private marina I’ve been to, the first piece of paper they all want to see is insurance. Ownership papers less important , same all over the U.K. , canaries , Northern Europe , and also several marinas in the US , Florida etc.

Only when it was a public dock I found that insurance wasn’t demanded

Good to know... thanks. I guess my waters are the unusual ones, again .
Old 22-12-2020, 15:34   #144

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Good to know... thanks. I guess my waters are the unusual ones, again .
Not necessarily. Apparently it's very common in the Med and some other places but I'd say less than half of the marinas I've been to here on the east coast of the US have asked to see proof of insurance, and the ones that have asked for it were when I was staying for an extended period of time. But if staying for just a night or two, my experience is that usually the only "documentation" they are interested in is my credit card.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 16:11   #145

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

here in australia it's a pretty universal requirement at all marinas and boatyards. no insurance / no play

if i'm feeling grumpy (which pretty often these days according to the owner) i'll ask for a copy of the marina / boatyards insurance. this usually does not end well...

cheers,
Old 22-12-2020, 16:49   #146

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

My experience is pretty limited -- I tend to anchor -- but over the last decade or so, I've stayed at probably a dozen marinas (some multiple times) in the Chesapeake Bay (Maryland and Virginia). Never more than 2 nights, and I can't say it's ever even been that long.

I've never been even ASKED if I had insurance, let alone asked to prove it. While I have ample coverage, I couldn't say if I have what they are looking for specifically!

My home marina wants proof, of course. Although I'm not sure the boatyard even wanted it for a month on the hard (I only come out for bottom paint/maintenance).

Data point of one.....

Harry
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 17:54   #147

This is what's so great about an international forum; getting to hear about the different norms around the world. As I say, I have never been asked about insurance for transient marina stays. Even when these stays stretched into weeks, there's never been a peep.

The only place I've had to show insurance is for long-term haul outs, which have always been at my (current) home marinas/yacht clubs. Even that has not been universal. The yacht club previous to my current one only "suggested" we carry insurance, but did not demand, or ask for proof.

Now, I will admit, I don't visit a lot of marinas. And I mostly cruise in less traveled areas. But even when I was passing through some of the busier zones, like the lower Great Lakes, and the Thousand Islands, we never faced an insurance question when seeking short-term dockage.
Old 23-12-2020, 00:00   #148

Insurance is not just required by marinas. A number of countries require it to clear in. Malaysia , Mexico and I believe Singapore.
Old 26-12-2020, 12:02   #149

Boat: Ocean 60 sport fisher

So, Cruising from California to Panama it sounds like there is no requirement for insurance south of Mexico?? Even so, is there a liability company available these days? Many have dropped out....
Dayton40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2020, 07:03   #150

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

As I've stated on other similar threads, liability insurance is, for all practical purposes, mandatory in the Med in all marinas regardless of how long you stay. It also is accepted by all marinas and authorities and is readily available at a very reasonable price. For example, I pay about 65 euros annually for mine. The clincher is that the boat must be either eu flagged or the owner is officially an EU resident. Coverage includes the Med, Black sea and all European waters. Mandating coverage without making third party insurance readily available, as seems to be the case in the US, is superbly idiotic and short sighted on the part of the authorities IMHO.

I would think that a cooperative for experienced off shore cruisers offering liability coverage only would be a wildly popular and successful enterprise. Rather surprised that one does not yet exist in the US.
Greg K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, insurance, rum