Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2020, 00:15   #121

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Re: Cruisers Forum Insurance ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
That sounds great. Can you share the broker and underwriter so folks in similar circumstances can follow your lead.
Bluefin, Lloyd Syndicates.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:18   #122

Boat: Beneteau Sense 50

Looking for recommendations for insurance for my Beneteau 50. USA flag, cruising the Mediterranean.
Thanks!
Hunterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 16:07   #123

Boat: Alberg 37

Hi all,

I'd actually be willing to put in the work to launch the co-op thing. Founded one company, consulted for several insurers (albeit health), spent time as an executive at several backed start-ups, and now running my own consulting firm. I'm pretty new around here but love sailing.

Would anyone be interested?
kaa2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 16:22   #124

Boat: Najad 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaa2021 View Post
Hi all,

I'd actually be willing to put in the work to launch the co-op thing. Founded one company, consulted for several insurers (albeit health), spent time as an executive at several backed start-ups, and now running my own consulting firm. I'm pretty new around here but love sailing.

Count me in. What next?
goeasy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 16:23   #125

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Hi all,

As the original OP I am not sure what you mean by interested ? I am sure there would be a lot of folks interested in purchasing insurance, especially liability only. After conferring with one individual a lot of my misconceptions were alleviated, I think it is possible. Insurance concerns and issues are a common thread on this forum. Feel free to pm me if you like.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 16:37   #126

Boat: Alberg 37

Hey there OP! I mean launching a co-op for insurance. I do a lot of that in health (direct primary care).
kaa2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 16:42   #127

Quote:
Hey there OP! I mean launching a co-op for insurance. I do a lot of that in health (direct primary care).
Yes I would be interested in joining a co-op, at my age not interested in the work involved in founding one. However if I could help in anyway let me know.
Old 19-11-2020, 16:42   #128

Boat: Najad 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
As the original OP I am not sure what you mean by interested ? I am sure there would be a lot of folks interested in purchasing insurance, especially liability only. After conferring with one individual a lot of my misconceptions were alleviated, I think it is possible. Insurance concerns and issues are a common thread on this forum. Feel free to pm me if you like.
I think I might have been the 'one individual'. I'm in Europe and I've either contributed to or started threads on other forum on the subject. I have a background in trading and risk.

I notice a lot of negativity and lack of understanding about how the insurance business works.

Consequently, I suggest a 'build it and they will come' approach. I'm happy to help.
goeasy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 16:56   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by goeasy123 View Post
I think I might have been the 'one individual'. I'm in Europe and I've either contributed to or started threads on other forum on the subject. I have a background in trading and risk.

I notice a lot of negativity and lack of understanding about how the insurance business works.

Consequently, I suggest a 'build it and they will come' approach. I'm happy to help.
Yes you are the one, You did enlighten me on some of the basics. I would suggest the individual interested in starting this undertaking contact you to pick your mind and share knowledge. I think the advantage here would be building a co-op from a cruisers point of view rather than a Corporate point of view. As I previously stated, the co-op would seem to be a perfect fit for an individual looking for an internet type of business to conduct while living aboard or
cruising.
Old 21-12-2020, 08:53   #130
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Orion MK II
Insurance for cruising S Pacific?

Hi Folks I am sailing from US West coast to French Polynesia in March. I would like insurance however I have gotten only one crazy high quote from a US broker all other brokers can’t quote. Any suggestions? Any brokers in the S Pacific that specialize in covering cruisers in the region? Thanks Ben S/V DAWN
Americanrancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 09:33   #131

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"
Re: Insurance for cruising S Pacific?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrancher View Post
Hi Folks I am sailing from US West coast to French Polynesia in March. I would like insurance however I have gotten only one crazy high quote from a US broker all other brokers can’t quote. Any suggestions? Any brokers in the S Pacific that specialize in covering cruisers in the region? Thanks Ben S/V DAWN
I bought crazy expensive insurance for a trip from San Francisco to Maine. I would not do it again. You need to show insurance in some countries (Mexico you have to have a Mexican policy) and marinas. But they are most interested in liability--which is cheap. If I was doing it again, I would buy liability only and what was necessary for the countries I visited. I guess some of it depends on the price of your boat and how much you can afford to lose. But, if you think about it, insuring a boat in foreign ports is a real risk crap shoot for the insurance companies. Not enough folks to spread the risk and a lot of unknowns about what risks are of a particular skipper, boat and repair locale.

Ray Durkee
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 17:31   #132

Boat: Pearson 36

What do you need insurance for?
robertmfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 17:36   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmfranklin View Post
What do you need insurance for?
Everyone sooner or later needs to get into a marina or spend some time in a boatyard, insurance is a requirement.
Old 21-12-2020, 17:59   #134

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
Everyone sooner or later needs to get into a marina or spend some time in a boatyard, insurance is a requirement.
In my travels, through the Great Lakes, out the St. Lawrence, to Newfoundland, I have never been asked about insurance for any transient dockage at a marina. The only time I've had to show proof of insurance is for long-term (6 months) haulouts and winter storage.

But I have read about such demands, mostly from southern US east coast locations like Florida. So it does seem to be a thing, but might be fairly localized.
Old 21-12-2020, 18:58   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
In my travels, through the Great Lakes, out the St. Lawrence, to Newfoundland, I have never been asked about insurance for any transient dockage at a marina. The only time I've had to show proof of insurance is for long-term (6 months) haulouts and winter storage.

But I have read about such demands, mostly from southern US east coast locations like Florida. So it does seem to be a thing, but might be fairly localized.
Valid point. A day or even a few days stay most likely is not going to raise an insurance requirement. But sooner or later they are going to require something. There could be a multitude of reasons why a cruiser might need to lay up for an extended period of time. Both for personal reasons and/or boat reasons.

Tags
cruise, cruiser, insurance, rum