Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2022, 09:05   #1

Boat: 1968 Venture 21
Contributions when volunteering as crew

If this should be in another forum please let me know. I thought about putting it in Crew Available/Crew Wanted but thought that is just for classifieds. My question is about the "going rate" for contributions when volunteering to crew for a daysail. I saw a recent daysail (5 hours) looking for crew. It stated contributions are appreciated. I have no problem contributing but I was wondering how to figure out how much is appropriate. Should I try to figure out the rental rate for a similar boat and break it down by passenger? Am I making this harder than it should be?
fsuklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2022, 10:15   #2

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: Contributions when volunteering as crew

Quote:
It stated contributions are appreciated.
It is not usual to request money of crew in my experience, that makes them passengers. Buying dinner and drinks for the Captain/owner or contributing to food/fuel costs unasked is certainly good manners. Contributions can be construed as payment which can be illegal if a license not involved.
When I used volunteer crew on boats between San Francisco and San Diego I'd pay their transport to or from the boat and all boat expenses (food, fuel, transient moorage).
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2022, 10:26   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
It is not usual to request money of crew in my experience, that makes them passengers. Buying dinner and drinks for the Captain/owner or contributing to food/fuel costs unasked is certainly good manners. Contributions can be construed as payment which can be illegal if a license not involved.
When I used volunteer crew on boats between San Francisco and San Diego I'd pay their transport to or from the boat and all boat expenses (food, fuel, transient moorage).
The USCG has clearly outlined the scope of 'Consideration' and what is and is not contributions vs charter fees:

https://homeport.uscg.mil/Lists/Cont...Operations.pdf

"The term "Consideration" is defined as "payment given to an individual, person, or entity but does not include a voluntary sharing of actual expenses of the trip by monetary contributions or donation of food, fuel, beverage, or other supplies."
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2022, 13:14   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hello, fsuklee,

The only time we ever had volunteer crew, he paid his own way to us, and we dropped him off at his boat when we arrived there. I think you will find that skippers vary considerably in their expectations. For some, the best thing you can volunteer is help in the boatyard at haulout time. Others expect a donation for food or fuel. With our crew, he is a friend, and of course we provided his meals and accommodation was intrinsic on the boat--he got the guest cabin.

So, I'm thinking you should just expect to negotiate, and learn as much about the skipper as possible. If your gut warns you off, pay attention. Imho, crewing for an unknown skipper can be one of the more dangerous things you can do. It's always a good question to ask yourself, "what could possibly go wrong with this?"

And I might add, from the skipper's point of view, taking on unknown crew can be really dangerous, too, as some of our friends found out when they wanted to help out a guy and take him home to Australia from Vanuatu, not knowing he was an alcoholic and nor would he follow instructions. Lucky that he didn't put them on a reef. They brought him back to Vanuatu in the end, iirc.

Ann
Old 17-10-2022, 13:31   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Crew don’t pay to crew. Guests pay.
Old 17-10-2022, 15:50   #6

Well to be clear they are not asking me to pay. I took it as if you want to kick in that would be ok. I was just trying to gauge what an appropriate amount might be. It is just a daysail so no long term commitment on either side.
Old 17-10-2022, 16:06   #7

Boat: Volkscruiser

Fsuklee when I am day sailing on friend's boats, I bring drinks, snacks and a contribution for lunch. Plus, a good attitude and a willingness to help out. Thats usually it as day sailing is just a social thing for me.
When I day sail on a good friend's yacht we discuss the menu the day before. Then I cook breakfast while we are getting underway (I bring my four-egg poacher pan) and he cooks a BBQ lunch. That always sems to be the routine and the cook does the dishes.
I have never left a monetary contribution on any boat, that to me is like tipping your new neighbours after having dinner at their place.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2022, 16:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Fsuklee when I am day sailing on friend's boats, I bring drinks, snacks and a contribution for lunch. Plus, a good attitude and a willingness to help out. Thats usually it as day sailing is just a social thing for me.
When I day sail on a good friend's yacht we discuss the menu the day before. Then I cook breakfast while we are getting underway (I bring my four-egg poacher pan) and he cooks a BBQ lunch. That always sems to be the routine and the cook does the dishes.
I have never left a monetary contribution on any boat, that to me is like tipping your new neighbours after having dinner at their place.
Cheers
Those are good ideas. I like the mindset.
Old 17-10-2022, 16:36   #9
Nearly an old salt

Crews cook, entirely normal.
Old 17-10-2022, 23:48   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

For a 5 hour day sail?
Why does he want volunteer crew? If he wants to do a daysail and needs crew, you are doing him a favour by volunteering.

The only "contribution" I'd even consider is a bit of extra food and drink over and above what you want for yourself.

If he's looking for a monetary contribution, I'd not even think about "volunteering"
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2022, 23:59   #11

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

^^^^
Wot he said, your doing him and yourself a favour, win/win.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2022, 00:45   #12

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Not uncommon to be asked to bring drinks and sometimes snacks to share.

Unusual to be asked for anything else.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2022, 02:05   #13
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
Not uncommon to be asked to bring drinks and sometimes snacks to share.

Unusual to be asked for anything else.

Actually it is. Normally for a day sail where you are expected to crew you’d be expected to be fed snacks and drinks etc. you would not be normally expected to feed yourself.
Old 18-10-2022, 14:10   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 45

When I lived in San Diego, I invited strangers on gumtree to join me on a sail so I could afford to hire larger boats (e.g. 27 Catalina instead of a 22 Capri). I asked people to contribute towards the hiring fee. Typically equal split each. I brought light snacks to share. Sometimes people brought something to share too.
svtickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2022, 15:31   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtickles View Post
When I lived in San Diego, I invited strangers on gumtree to join me on a sail so I could afford to hire larger boats (e.g. 27 Catalina instead of a 22 Capri). I asked people to contribute towards the hiring fee. Typically equal split each. I brought light snacks to share. Sometimes people brought something to share too.

OK, insufficient info in the original post.
I wasn't thinking of the advertiser looking for people to share the cost of hiring a boat for the day. That's a different issue to an owner suggesting "contributions" and is IMNSHO, reasonable.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, rib