Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2012, 01:12   #1

Buying Boat in Mexico

I will fly to Mexico next week to look on a couple of boats. The boats I'm interested in got US flag (I'm Swedish citizen and will register in Sweden).

If I decide to buy one boat, what shall I do to make it correct? Shall the US-owner clear it out of Mexico (visit port captain & custom)? Just so there won't be any problems with the mexican authority. The boats has prob. been in mexico some years. Is that something that could mean problems for me? (VAT).

Now I got a turn&return ticket. But next time I fly to the boat I will prob. only have a one way ticket. Do I have to apply for something to not get into any trouble at the airport?
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 10:33   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Buying boat in Mexico

The seller can file a form requesting the boat be de-flagged from USCG documentation, after any liens are paid off. A friend bought a boat in La Paz and they changed the boat name, went offshore to international waters and returned and checked back into the country. If you are using a broker in Mex then they should have the process down pretty well.
Old 31-03-2012, 10:48   #3

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Just going offshore could now be complicated a little by the need for a Zarpe to bring the boat back into Mexico. Check this very carefully as the laws are now being enforced more rigorously than in the past. Mexican TIP stictly prohibits a foreign flagged vessel from being sold in Mexico and just going offshore got around this but if you need a Zarpe where do you get it in the middle of the ocean. Be careful.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 11:40   #4
abh

I would be more worried about the trouble importing to europe, beware of CE.
abh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by abh
I would be more worried about the trouble importing to europe, beware of CE.
Will not import it. Will Cruise outside Eu
Old 04-04-2012, 04:20   #6

Re: Buying Boat in Mexico

come on
Somebody here would have experience about it
Old 04-04-2012, 09:40   #7

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Andreas, here in Mexico things (laws) change on a daily basis. What was or is common practice does not apply should the Mexican authorities decide to go by the book. Before you do anything check with the respective authorities as to the correct procedure. What happened yesterday or last week with a purchase of a boat may be completely different the day you purchase. Get the broker to check the law and if possible get a written instruction from the authority. In Mexico it is Roman law so verbal agreements or advice even if it is common practice has absolutely no standing. Common law and what would seem to be logical has no place in dealing with Mexican authorities. Read the thread on
Boat Impounded in Mexico.

If it is a private purchase be doubly careful.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:48   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

buying a boat here in mexico can be a good or a bad experience depending on how the previous owner kept up his payments. i know of one boat in mazatlan for sale with 10,000usd still due on slip rent--be careful.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 15:02   #9

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.mehlin View Post
come on
Somebody here would have experience about it
Have you tried calling one of the brokerages there? They're in the business. Forum members can only give opinions at best.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Have you tried calling one of the brokerages there? They're in the business. Forum members can only give opinions at best.
i visited the broker in mazatlan and spoke with him about a boat for a friend and i went to the marina in which it was and is still berthed and learned first hand from the workmen who were at one time working on the boat in question so my friend would not have a problem-- the marina said to me that the boat in question had 10,000usd owed in slip fees and was over 2 yrs late and the broker spoke to me IN CONFIDENCE about the infestations of critters-- these things are NOT told to the prospective buyer. is a buyer beware world out here and unless you do intensive research , not only will you be paying for a boat you THINK is clear, you ALSO may have to pay past due rents and other sundry fees BEFORE you are able to document or register the boat in question.
be ware. be safe , be through. broker wont tell all as broker has vested interest in selling the boat in a BAD market.

any questions????
Old 05-04-2012, 12:20   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexdon View Post
Andreas, here in Mexico things (laws) change on a daily basis. What was or is common practice does not apply should the Mexican authorities decide to go by the book. Before you do anything check with the respective authorities as to the correct procedure.
You should also realize that there is not great uniformity from one jurisdiction to another, even within the same state. Use a local broker.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:59   #12

is all well and good to trust a broker--but, you WILL have problems that CAN bbe nsurmountable if you TRUST that broker. you MUST be there and face off with those you are researching with. yes i did that. i know others who did that and still got screwed. be careful and not lazy here in mexico when attempting to buy a boat.
Old 05-04-2012, 13:50   #13

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

you bought your Formosa in Mx?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:19   #14

i screened a boat --rafiki -- for a friend so he wouldnt get ripped off-- found some major roadblocks, and have reported those here--- use as ye see fit. i bought my formosa on the moorings in san diego, was my next door neighbor to my ericson for many years befor i bought her and i knew her well.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:30   #15

Most brokers are only useful for holding the marina gate open. I've gotten plenty bad advice from them. I'd seek the advise of an attorney. Or perhaps a detailed interview and supporting written documentation with the local officials. That said, there is a decent brokerage the operates in Mazatlan and La Paz ... Zeehag probably knows them ??
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, Mexico, mexico