Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2019, 10:44   #16
LF4

Re: Boat Depreciation Amid Increasing Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickfox45 View Post
I was also at the Annapolis show and saw that Bali you mentioned. Seems like a great boat if you never left the dock or were only traveling in good weather. I left not liking the setup. Really liked the FPs though!

As someone of a similar age, relatively new to boating (a few years in only), who also dreams of one day living aboard a cat, I just don't see how the depreciation math will ever justify buying a new boat OR putting one in charter if your goal is to liveaboard in 5-6 years. There will always be boats for sale, and if you're patient you will find one that's been well-cared for. The depreciation curve is just crazy. A new boat is a luxury, not a necessity.

FWIW, I also had one of the sales guy tell me that the cost of ownership of one of these new cats 10 years from now would roughly end up equalling the cost of buying one new now. He's obviously trying to make a sale of a new boat now. But if he's not full if it, that's equally concerning!
Yeah, that could be the line to get people to sign up for a new boat now. Which is something I really do NOT want to do. I do want to look after the pocket book and find a way to sail, often, and for the best value.

I believe it will be the used market, almost certainly. Something I can put on the water in Philly and at minimal expense.

How did you get your start?
Old 06-05-2019, 11:24   #17

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

I was also there, as we have been at every show from here to Miami, but I’ve never seen the depreciation you’ve mentioned.

A new Leopard 45 (just a made up example) sells for 750k and then two years later sells for @ 404k? Not on this planet.

We’ve been looking for about a year now, and keeping track of prices and boats in our range about five years, but we’ve never seen that. Just be cautious...

Good luck,
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:54   #18
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
A new Leopard 45 (just a made up example) sells for 750k and then two years later sells for @ 404k? Not on this planet.
Are you saying that is a high estimate? Or low?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:22   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Are you saying that is a high estimate? Or low?
I’m saying I’ve not seen 37 or 35% two year depreciation on any new vessels from 40 - 46’.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:30   #20

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

On the other hand boats just about bottom out in depreciation after 20 years or so. There are nice well kept and desirable older cats that still have lots of life in them. You would have no big depreciation worries and that boat might just about hold it's value over time. The trick is to find the right one.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:33   #21
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
I’m saying I’ve not seen 37 or 35% two year depreciation on any new vessels from 40 - 46’.
And I still don't know whether you mean you've usually seen lower, or higher.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 13:08   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
And I still don't know whether you mean you've usually seen lower, or higher.
Oh my. Have you seen a 750k brand new cat go for 404k two years later?

No. More like 680 - 700 at best lately.
Old 06-05-2019, 13:16   #23

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Oh my. Have you seen a 750k brand new cat go for 404k two years later?

No. More like 680 - 700 at best lately.
Don’t forget that a “750k” new boat will have cost north of 900k by the time you sail off in her...
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 13:47   #24

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Way too many variables.

Purchase with intent to charter is only viable IMO IF you plan to charter multiple times per year on similar boats for the next 5 years anyways. Most people don't fall into this category due to costs associated with travel, especially with kids.
Flights for 4 people 4 times per year. About $500-1000 per person. Charter weeks don't usually start on days that allow cheap flights (ie. Tues/Wed) so expect pricier flights or adding hotel stays to the mix. Also consider lost income during all these vacations.

Charter service might make sense for a couple who love sailing, plan to retire in 5 years, kids grown, etc and they like chartering boats multiple times per year. 5 years is a long time. 5 years ago you had one kid and pregnant wife. 5 years from now your kids will be a lot different than they are today.

Recessions in the US, France or South Africa could change everything.

Currency fluctuations between France/US/South Africa will affect new and therefore used pricing.

Buy a cheap boat locally and invest all the extra money you would have spent. Hope a recession hits at the time you have a lot of cash put aside if you are still interested in the idea.
Old 06-05-2019, 16:10   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Don’t forget that a “750k” new boat will have cost north of 900k by the time you sail off in her...
Oh yeah, that too!
Old 13-05-2019, 09:37   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Way too many variables.
Recessions in the US, France or South Africa could change everything.
Currency fluctuations between France/US/South Africa will affect new and therefore used pricing.

Africa runs on US$, anyone who knows Africa knows the US$ (cash) rules....Africats are all sold in US$.... Euro and US$ are thus your variables. Try buying a new Leopard from R&C in SA in SA Rand.... US$ all the way.
E480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 09:38   #27

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

LF4 writes "My points is I think a lot of us are trying to find the sweet spot."

Sorry. There ain't no sweet financial spot about buying, berthing and maintaining a boat. What I tell my friends is that there is something else. A pain threshold. Unless you can get over that then having a boat will always be a misery. And you will bore and make other boat owners miserable talking about the cost.

It's a lifestyle (non)investment which you have to prepared to pay for. In the same way that there is no pecuniary return from buying a holiday. It's the experience that counts.

If your idea of starting on boat ownership is to use a spreadsheet, my advice would be just forget the whole idea.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 09:41   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alita49DS View Post
LF4 writes "My points is I think a lot of us are trying to find the sweet spot."

Sorry. There ain't no sweet financial spot about buying, berthing and maintaining a boat. What I tell my friends is that there is something else. A pain threshold. Unless you can get over that then having a boat will always be a misery. And you will bore and make other boat owners miserable talking about the cost.

It's a lifestyle (non)investment which you have to prepared to pay for. In the same way that there is no pecuniary return from buying a holiday. It's the experience that counts.

If your idea of starting on boat ownership is to use a spreadsheet, my advice would be just forget the whole idea.
excellent point....!
E480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 10:04   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
On the other hand boats just about bottom out in depreciation after 20 years or so. There are nice well kept and desirable older cats that still have lots of life in them. You would have no big depreciation worries and that boat might just about hold it's value over time. The trick is to find the right one.

This is only true if the owner is really putting a lot of money into it to keep it in bristol condition. Even then, in this boat market, most boats are still depreciating. A 20 year old boat has a LOT of competition for boating dollars, as there are lots of used boats out there.

Most boats sadly need a lot of work at the 20 year mark.
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 10:07   #30

Boat: Hunter 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by LF4 View Post
Yeah, that could be the line to get people to sign up for a new boat now. Which is something I really do NOT want to do. I do want to look after the pocket book and find a way to sail, often, and for the best value.

I believe it will be the used market, almost certainly. Something I can put on the water in Philly and at minimal expense.

How did you get your start?
My wife and I bought a 1985 Catalina 25 as our "learn to sail" boat, then sold it and bought a 2000 Hunter 380 a few years ago. The general plan is to keep this boat awhile, use it and enjoy it as much as we can, and also let it show us what we like and don't like for our next boat. From the little experience I have, my view is that a boat 15ish years old will have much of its depreciation already baked into the price, but will still have lots of life left if it's been well cared for.

At the Annapolis show we saw a 2005-ish Hunter 41 - basically a slightly larger, slightly newer version of our boat. It was priced at something like 175k. It was a beautiful boat, but much much more than we paid, and I walked off it thinking it needed to keep depreciating for a few more years before it'd be a good deal for someone.
nickfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, price