Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Library
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 09:11   #1
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Smuggling Your Boat Out of Jail

Although I haven't yet read this new book myself, Karen and Jeffrey Siegel of ActiveCaptain renown are recommending it. It is Smuggling Your Boat Out of Jail by Captain Mike Maurice, available here:

A Yachtsman's Guide: Smuggling Your Boat Out of Jail by Michael Maurice (Book) in Travel

If the book is as compelling as its title, it should be a worthwhile addition to any serious cruiser's library. As soon as I've read the book, I'll post a review.

TaoJones
Old 02-06-2009, 10:37   #2

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
i bought the book also.. about a third the way thru it and found it very informative. If you've been across the pond and dealt with the customs in the Carib, you still might find a lot of stuff of interest.
I think TaoJones is a better reviewer than I am... I will await his opinion... and continue my reading.
I got mine on Amazon for about $22.00 which was the best price I could find that day.
Old 01-07-2009, 21:11   #3

Not much of a writer so ill let someone else put up a review, but i must say it was an interesting read for rainy days.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:29   #4

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
well, I finished the book, then it was off to the laptop to do some update checking and some web link checking as well. I found the information very well presented and I will place this book in the ships library for future reference. I was dissappointed at first seeing a bnch of links to web sites that have the info I was hoping to read but for the most part, treat this "novel" as a glorified table of contents to the information highway.
On a scale of 1-10 I give it a 7-8 because it did have info that for the most part was something I didn't know and never gave it a thought. Now that I do know... I'm more well armed to deal with the laws and restrictions that abound everywhere.
On a planet that is fast approaching the Orwell novel blueprint in all developed countries, I find the search for more un-restrictive locations to be harder and harder to satisfy.
I'd recommend it.