Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2020, 03:07   #46

Re: Tools: High Quality or Cheap and Replaceable

If you own a small boat or a catamaran, you will never have all the tools you need. So just make sure you become really friendly with the owners of large mono-hulls. Invite them over for a meal/drink ...whatever. Take them for a sail. Offer to help when they look busy. They usually carry a wide range of tools and some even have workshops.
Some are just so proud of their tool collection. Speak highly of them around the marina. Capitalize.
I own a fairly large mono-hull and for while I thought my neighbors liked my jokes......but it seems they lusted after my tools.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 08:05   #47

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
If you are filthy rich, you can buy cheap tools. But if you are on the budget, you want to buy quality tools (and take good care of them).

barnakiel
I have a few cheaper tools that travel with the dingy.
I have not had corrosion problems with most tools except drill bits and drill drivers. The same care used at home will usually protect tools. My current battery-powered tools have seen 3 or more seasons and show no signs of malfunction. I think "salt air" is a myth but leaving tools outside in the elements is a bad idea.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 20:03   #48

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

I only buy good tools. When we got the Downeaster it came with a tool box. I twisted the blade on the Stanley screwdriver with my bare hands, I should say one hand. The head of the screw was tougher.

So much for the tool box that came with the boat. Cheap crap not worth the anger it produces. Went home and got a real screwdriver.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 20:33   #49

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCoastJoe View Post
I twisted the blade on the Stanley screwdriver with my bare hands, I should say one hand. The head of the screw was tougher.

Cheap crap not worth the anger it produces. Went home and got a real screwdriver.
My spouse used to tell me, "A poor craftsman blames his tools." I started working alone more often.
Poor quality tools sometimes make decent fishing weights. That's about it.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 03:40   #50

I matter the brand, make sure they have a lifetime warranty. Any metal tool can rust and it’s nice to know you can exchange them for a new one with no questions asked. Sears Craftsman tools I think were the real pioneers of that philosophy.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 04:02   #51

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Medium quality x3
Costs about the same as good x1 and I have tools throughout the boat and spares.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 04:16   #52
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
I'm wondering, what is the best philosophy in regards to stocking your boat with tools, both hand tools and power tools? Normally, for my home workshop, I tend to go with high quality tools that I know will perform well and last a long time. But obviously on a boat, corrosion will be an issue, especially in things like power tools and hand tools like ratchets. Should I just stick with my normal philosophy and buy high quality tools, hoping that the quality will translate into longer usable life? or go with more budget tools with the philosophy to replace them if they become unusable?
All i will say is most the tools on my boat have been there for years and they arent corroding etc.

I didnt the 50 replies prior, hope it is still about tools.
Old 26-08-2020, 04:32   #53

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

I didnt the 50 replies prior, hope it is still about tools.
Yeah, the ones that buy expensive ones
Boom boom tish .
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 07:24   #54

Boat: Frers, Pilothouse, 72ft

You only get what you pay for.....
Old 28-08-2020, 08:25   #55

Boat: Corbin39

Why is this even a question? "You get what you pay for" is a pretty well known saying and it's true. In the long run, quality saves money. It also saves the environment! If you're worried about losing expensive tools overboard, then take steps to avoid that. It's not an inevitability.
SailingInfidels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 08:35   #56

Boat: Norseman 447

You might not get what you pay for, but you almost certainly won’t get what you don’t pay for.

While a more expensive tool from a name-brand company might have higher margins than a cheap tool to explain some of the difference in price, a cheap tool has obviously cut production costs someplace in the supply chain.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 08:43   #57

Boat: Lagoon 450S

Which brand(s) of hand tools do you consider high quality at a reasonable price?
SV Coronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 08:52   #58

Boat: 30' Ericson / 42' Golden Star / Yard full of trailer boats

When I was a young apprentice I was taught "It's a poor mechanic that blames his tools. It's a poorer mechanic that doesn't value them." This from an old timer that brought his grandfathers wrench to the blessing of tools mass every year.
Turtle Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 08:58   #59
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

most tools today come from China...often...same tool...different label...

interestingly, Youtube has several video's of tool comparisons....

I spend three years building my boat, and bought all my tools from a guy, that had just spend 3 years building his boat, so all my tools were " used"....most tools are not a big investment....one breaks....get another...most of my tools handily lasted 6 years of constant abuse without any problem.

I can't see needing much more than a drill...or maybe an angle grinder on a boat....keep these wrapped in an old t-shirt under the bunk....I did....never once had a problem...

Flea markets often have a good selection of power tools....for a few bucks...can't go wrong there...

Hand tools....don't get the Walmart variety...I have found the Auto Part stores generally have the better quality hand tools...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 09:20   #60

Twenty years living in tropics at anchor mostly. Started with nice set of Snapon tools and decent power drills and Palm sanders. Corrosion killed everything after 3-4 years regardless of price quality. The only way to mitigate slow demise of hand tools is once a month wipe down with light oil. Power tools wear out quickly after one haul out.
So buy cheap wrenches and middle level crew drives and wipe down after use. If you can get a good deal on power tools buy them and if not used frequently vacupak them and they will last forever
le chat beaute is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap