Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2020, 10:35   #61

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Tools: High Quality or Cheap and Replaceable

I you don't have the proverbial pot to piss in buy cheap tools but not a boat.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 10:52   #62

I like reliable tools, and if you have more time than money, you can sometimes find inexpensive hand tools that are actually quite decent. I've found some keepers, and some that didn't make the grade. Other times, the quality of better tools justifies the bigger outlay. So reliable is the passing grade for my boat's toolbox.

I'm not on tidewater, so rusting isn't as prevalent. I wipe some tools occasionally with an oily rag.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 11:40   #63

Over the years, I've only had one problem with good tools: they have a tendency to grow legs. Secure tool storage is not an option. Other than that, I have a simple attitude about buying tools: don't buy junk.
Robert Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 12:33   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
I'm wondering, what is the best philosophy in regards to stocking your boat with tools, both hand tools and power tools? Normally, for my home workshop, I tend to go with high quality tools that I know will perform well and last a long time. But obviously on a boat, corrosion will be an issue, especially in things like power tools and hand tools like ratchets. Should I just stick with my normal philosophy and buy high quality tools, hoping that the quality will translate into longer usable life? or go with more budget tools with the philosophy to replace them if they become unusable?
Couple points:

- if traveling to remote areas, reliability is key, as is safety, both are a product of quality (more so than price). If you will always be near stores that have the tools you need, than reliability is less of an issue.

- for weight and space, match your tool selection to your boat. I like access to tools for every system on the boat. Check every system and ensure you have the tools needed for service, repair and rebuild. Particularly look for over and undersized sockets, Allen, Torx, etc.

- triple check all work areas for potential tool donations to the sea before starting work. With a little foresight a lot can be done to limit the loss of tools at sea.
- Tool Maint: stay away from WD40, looking to machine/tool oils for keeping tools in good shape. Adding to your maintenance list : tool inspection/cleaning, at least once every 4-6 months.

- the only disposable tools I have on board are consumables like, saw blades, sand papers, grinders, etc.

- some specialty tools like telescopic mirrors and flex drives do not need to be surgical grade to get the job done and have long lives.

Hope at least some of this is of help.
Old 28-08-2020, 13:35   #65

When I owned and managed a marine engineering business I found that my staff could damage expensive tools just as fast as the cheap ones. Salt water and expensive tools do mix but not with good outcomes.

Cheap lasts. When an expensive tool was dropped in the water it soon became cheap. Cheap remained cheap in the same circumstances. Cheap is a lasting quality.

My own tool set is mid range priced.
john manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 13:55   #66
CLOD

Boat: none

I feel it greatly depends on the tool, it's use, and how often you expect to use it.
Old 28-08-2020, 14:33   #67

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Expensive tools and a cheap mechanic are best.[emoji6]
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 16:28   #68

Let’s see, if I’m at home and a tool breaks or stops working I can simply go to the nearest hardware store and replace it, preferably cheap. If I’m on a boat, crossing the Atlantic or Carribean and I need a tool that breaks, I’m stuck, until either someone comes to my rescue or, well, sink or die of dehydration.

I don’t own my own boat. I move other people’s boats for them. I do own my own tools and don’t trust theirs. It’s amazing to me that a person can own a $million boat but won’t spend money on a decent set of wrenches or socket set.
TXProud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 18:04   #69

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I’ll also add that it’s difficult to define cheap and expensive. Most tools are actually moderately priced and of adequate quality.

Harbor freight tools are typically what I think of when I imagine cheap.
Home Depot tools are normal.
Then there are Festool tools for overpriced.

The average, normal tools last decades and do their jobs.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 18:33   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I’ll also add that it’s difficult to define cheap and expensive. Most tools are actually moderately priced and of adequate quality.

Harbor freight tools are typically what I think of when I imagine cheap.
Home Depot tools are normal.
Then there are Festool tools for overpriced.

The average, normal tools last decades and do their jobs.

The contractor who did our reno had an interesting take on power tools; he said that a power tool in the hands of the average homeowner was used a cumulative total of 4 hours or less over its life. So power tools for that market only need to last that long. Professionals need tools that last hundreds of hours.

For the record, I still have some hardware-store grade sidecutters that I bought in the early 70s. Probably some other tools too.
Old 28-08-2020, 18:47   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Jansen View Post
Over the years, I've only had one problem with good tools: they have a tendency to grow legs. Secure tool storage is not an option. Other than that, I have a simple attitude about buying tools: don't buy junk.
And price does not always tell you if something is junk. So don’t buy expensive junk thinking it is better because it is expensive.

Also for anything in danger of going for a swim and not returning that is particularly critical, I’d tend to think duplicate decent would be better than expensive single. (Actually depending on how critical I might buy a duplicate to keep solely and entirely where it would be needed in an emergency. Like if the emergency rudder needed a wrench of a certain size, there would be a wrench of that size stored with the emergency rudder, not to be used for anything else. Or similar.) (Assuming an emergency rudder that needed a wrench, you get the basic idea.)
PirateFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 18:49   #72

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
The contractor who did our reno had an interesting take on power tools; he said that a power tool in the hands of the average homeowner was used a cumulative total of 4 hours or less over its life. So power tools for that market only need to last that long. Professionals need tools that last hundreds of hours.

For the record, I still have some hardware-store grade sidecutters that I bought in the early 70s. Probably some other tools too.
It’s true for boat owners too, I’d say. Maybe the buffer/polisher gets more hours and maybe the sander on some boats.

The cheapest possible Ryobi drills have just blown me away. I have More hours on them than a lot of inboard diesel generators have and they refuse to die. They have a bunch of kicked epoxy on them so I’ve been waiting to replace just for looks alone. Nothing doing. Pretty sure they are lasting the rest of my life. Ha ha ha.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 18:56   #73

Boat: CS 36 Canadian Sailcraft

I agree that most tools for less dollars ie Harbor Freight do the occasional job just fine and last if cared for.
Bill Youmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 06:29   #74
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

the most overrated and underused tool in my collection is the:

multi-use knife. mine has about 5 gazillion doodads on it.....I've tried to use this tool before on a simple project to see how well it works...it doesn't.....

I thought having an all stainless model would be great on a boat...ha......

If I were in jail and trying to break out it might have some limited value, but on a boat....zip....

I often work on the diesel engine...my onboard tools are selected on what I need to work on this beast...all hand tools...a drill is handy, but not required....a hammer is a useful tool...
most all electrical tools require 115v.....even the one's with a battery....which discharge themselves before I ever get a chance to use the tool.....if you shop the flea markets you can still find a hand-drill...perfect for a boat....

If you don't have a generator on board, the electrical tool question will be made for you.

I have one tool, that I have never used.....thankfully.....this is massive set of wire/cable cutters, it weighs about 25 lbs and is easily 3' long....I thought I would keep this onboard in case I have a rig failure a 1,000 miles from land...

some electrical tools are handy.....wire, fuses, bulbs, multi-tester, etc...

a fiberglass repair kit.....you can get this as a kit...some cloth....resin and hardener...

a sail repair kit....as above, some cloth, thread, needles, etc...

don't forget a first aid kit,likely the one kit you will use most...

there......I think that covers most of it....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 07:55   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
multi-use knife. mine has about 5 gazillion doodads on it.....I've tried to use this tool before on a simple project to see how well it works...it doesn't.....

I'm a sucker for multitools, I have too many. but I also agree they're no substitute for proper tools.

I'm almost never without a small Swiss Army knife (2 blades, 2 screwdrivers, bottle opener, corkscrew) and it gets used very frequently. Going on 35 years old. In weekend mode, I have a Gerber M600. Just too handy to have a blade, straight and Philips screwdrivers, file, and good pliers/cutters in my pocket or knapsack. For biking I have a cycling "multitool". Multitools have their uses.

Tags
cheap