Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2020, 17:55   #1

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
Tools: High Quality or Cheap and Replaceable

I'm wondering, what is the best philosophy in regards to stocking your boat with tools, both hand tools and power tools? Normally, for my home workshop, I tend to go with high quality tools that I know will perform well and last a long time. But obviously on a boat, corrosion will be an issue, especially in things like power tools and hand tools like ratchets. Should I just stick with my normal philosophy and buy high quality tools, hoping that the quality will translate into longer usable life? or go with more budget tools with the philosophy to replace them if they become unusable?
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 18:01   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Tools: High Quality or Cheap and Replaceable

I’ve not had a corrosion problem, and I believe you don’t with quality tools and just a little care.
But I have very few power tools too, only a compressor and an angle grinder comes to mind, and neither of those are high quality.
Depends on the person, someone who doesn’t use tools is fine with junk tools because they don’t know any better, a professional mechanic won’t use junk, or hates to anyway. I won’t use junk tools, I’ve busted enough knuckles and seen enough damage from rounded fasteners etc from junk tools
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 18:51   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

If you are filthy rich, you can buy cheap tools. But if you are on the budget, you want to buy quality tools (and take good care of them).

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 18:55   #4

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Thanks for the advice. That's how I usually approach it, so I'll stick with it.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 20:06   #5

I like snap on and Mac, though I have ended up with a few random husky wrenches (Home Depot brand) which seem to work very well for their price point.

For the most part the only time I will get a cheap tool is if I’m going to be cutting or welding on it to make a one time tool for a odd job.

For easy to get at stuff it’s not as noteworthy initially, but once you start working in confined areas, or use them a ton, you start to notice the difference.

Look on Craig’s list, you normally can score snapons from someone who inherited them from a mechanic in their family, or just wants to get out of the business.

This stuff is also great to wipe down tool and lube tools and other machinery, also is good on weatherstripping.
https://www.amazon.com/G96-1055P-Com.../dp/B0000DD5TL
DirtyPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 20:38   #6

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I'm not really worried about the tool being cheap as long its there when I need it and its the right tool for the job. I've come to terms that I go through electric screwdrivers every two years and maybe a drill in the same time frame. 6 Point ratchet sets are generally needed in addition to 12 point so you can get the best of both worlds. I try to keep things rust free and the first time a tool misbehaves I am out looking for a replacement because I don't have time for that...
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 20:42   #7

Boat: Tartan 3800

Save money weight and space by choosing only tools you're really going to need.

Minimalist kit rather than every possible permutation of wrench type, drive size, shallow, deep, flex, etc., except for very common sizes like 10mm and 13mm (and 7/16, 1/2, and 9/16 on boats that have SAE fasteners)

Look at Wiha for small, lightweight tools for smaller size fasteners on electronics etc. Much more compact than what Snap-on etc offer

I like the Klein 11-in-1 screwdriver and the 10-fold torx and allen wrenches. Very compact and a great way to deal with the proliferation of fastener drives in typical mid-range sizes.

Put in a ziplock bag with dessicant if concerned about corrosion
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 21:13   #8

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

I have discovered that regardless of the quality they all sink at the same rate , so embracing this realisation I buy mid range quality and only keep a somewhat minimalist kit on board, bringing in the better quality from home for the more serious tasks.
Longevity of the cheaper ones is enhanced with the occasional hosing down with wd40/crc.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 21:18   #9

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Good set of quality, use caution and keep them rust free, I don’t think you need one of everything in the snap-on catalogue but I carry a very comprehensive set, I don’t know if I’ll need a tiny socket until I find a bolt in the mast which needs a 1/4 inch 4 inch long extension and 4 mm socket to get at.... been there had the tool...... now as to wood screws I only use #2 Robertson all over the boat.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 21:34   #10

Boat: Catalina 42

The only expensive tool is a cheap tool.
neflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 23:43   #11

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I've found zero correlation between longevity of a tool and its price.

Having put many hundred (even thousands?) of hours on all my tools, their longevity is just unique to each tool.

The extremely expensive professional tools all died faster than the absolute cheapest garbage in a surprising case.

We used the lowest cost Ryobi drill to "wheel" all the shiny epoxy on my boat. (Abrading the shiny stuff off for secondary bonding) We're talking several hundred or thousand hours with the drills locked in the on position eating dust all day long. I STILL have two of these drills working in great order about 10 years later.

Cheap tools with the no questions asked replacement warranty are the most economical if you're really using the tools. If they're mostly sitting around you may have different results than my case where they were used daily.

Oh yeah. The cheapest Skil table saw, Skil circular saw and Skil jigsaw have seen similar results on my end. Ridiculous hours on them cutting fiberglass too. The tablesaw has spent most of its decade long life out on the aft deck of my boat in the rain and salt air. Works like the day I bought it.

Cost has nothing to do with tool longevity. It's all random.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 00:11   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Don’t forget to pick up a couple extra 10mm sockets. They always disappear. I don’t know why but it is always the 10 mm that goes missing.
Old 24-08-2020, 02:31   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I've found zero correlation between longevity of a tool and its price.

Having put many hundred (even thousands?) of hours on all my tools, their longevity is just unique to each tool.

The extremely expensive professional tools all died faster than the absolute cheapest garbage in a surprising case.

We used the lowest cost Ryobi drill to "wheel" all the shiny epoxy on my boat. (Abrading the shiny stuff off for secondary bonding) We're talking several hundred or thousand hours with the drills locked in the on position eating dust all day long. I STILL have two of these drills working in great order about 10 years later.

Cheap tools with the no questions asked replacement warranty are the most economical if you're really using the tools. If they're mostly sitting around you may have different results than my case where they were used daily.

Oh yeah. The cheapest Skil table saw, Skil circular saw and Skil jigsaw have seen similar results on my end. Ridiculous hours on them cutting fiberglass too. The tablesaw has spent most of its decade long life out on the aft deck of my boat in the rain and salt air. Works like the day I bought it.

Cost has nothing to do with tool longevity. It's all random.
I too have had cheap power tools last forever and counting, but for some I need more than just that it runs. My Harbor Freight bench grinder has no oomph; my Delta does. An ancient Makita jigsaw still goes, but the far more expensive Bosch is what I always reach for--it cuts lots faster with less vibration transferred to me. My antique Craftsman 240-volt belt-driven table saw will cut far thicker material without binding than any portable table saw, and with less blade chatter. Smoothness of operation and power are as important to me as longevity.
Old 24-08-2020, 02:47   #14

Boat: X442

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Don’t forget to pick up a couple extra 10mm sockets. They always disappear. I don’t know why but it is always the 10 mm that goes missing.
Exactly! It's what I have too, though more on the 10mm wrench side. It's not that they disappear permanently, they disappear now and then during a job, meaning a lot of time goes into figuring out where you put that one tool... So I have several, which also helps if for example working on both sides of the engine and the needed tool somehow is always lying on the other side, out of reach.

In terms of quality, I always choose quality and hence need to pay for it. Repairing something on board sometimes is done under stress at which time I don't want to struggle with sub standard tools as well.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 03:26   #15

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Cheap hand tools like pliars, screw drivers, wrenches, sockets have cheap coatings and rust faster. Cheap tools break, particularly sockets and drivers.

Buy high quality used tools on EBay.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap