Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2020, 08:18   #16

Boat: Island Packet 420
Re: Tools: High Quality or Cheap and Replaceable

When I took my 3 day diesel courses with Mack Boring, the instructor informed us that ll the tools they were providing us were from Harbor Freight and recommended we not spend too much on tools. Those worked just fine. They will all rust after awhile if not taken care of.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 08:20   #17

I would get a used set of beryllium copper for the tools most used and tie a lanyard to them whenever they might fall in or get droped into the bilge where they cannot be easily reached. For the less used and specialized tools I use a spray like WD40 and keep an oily rag in the tool box to wipe them off before and after each use. I also like to wear cheap disposable rubber gloves to reduce the oil on my hands. My teacher at the diesel mechanics school I went to said I was the only student he ever had do that. For electric drills etc I wipe off the handles with a paper towel after use as the oil destroys some cheap rubber handles. Also keep ratcheting tools well lubricated.
lvictorlucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 08:26   #18

Boat: Island Packet 31

Heck, at my age I don't even buy green bananas.
CDR Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 08:58   #19

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
I'm wondering, what is the best philosophy in regards to stocking your boat with tools, both hand tools and power tools? Normally, for my home workshop, I tend to go with high quality tools that I know will perform well and last a long time. But obviously on a boat, corrosion will be an issue, especially in things like power tools and hand tools like ratchets. Should I just stick with my normal philosophy and buy high quality tools, hoping that the quality will translate into longer usable life? or go with more budget tools with the philosophy to replace them if they become unusable?
At home if a tool breaks you run down the street for a replacement, not so at sea when it may be critical.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 09:01   #20

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
At home if a tool breaks you run down the street for a replacement, not so at sea when it may be critical.
Good point!
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 09:40   #21

Boat: Norseman 447

"If you need a tool and don’t buy it, you pay for it without getting it."
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 10:10   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I have a mix on my boat. For some tools, only the best will do - screwdrivers, Allen keys, crimp tools. For others, cheap is ok - socket wrenches, box wrenches. Obviously hammers, crowbars, etc. Also tools which are rarely used.

I use cheap where possible because you lose them so often (the sea, other sailors, etc). Multiple backups for key tools.

I guess the hardest tool to make well, not counting complex tools like crimpers , is screwdrivers, i guess. The metal must be really hard, the cut perfect. I spend big money on good screwdrivers without regret.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 10:18   #23

Boat: Catalina 30

Power Tools in particular I prefer quality battery tools.

Hand Tools are quality as well, except for those that I tend to loose. (Screw Drivers, Allen Wrenches) I will have quality versions stowed, and keep a few lesser quality for everyday use, especially on the deck.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 10:22   #24

Boat: Swan 57

The difference is that when you're sailing and the tool breaks, you can't go and get a new one. Go for good quality and you will save a lot of time, money and agony
Hermia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 10:27   #25

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I have a mix on my boat. For some tools, only the best will do - screwdrivers, Allen keys, crimp tools. For others, cheap is ok - socket wrenches, box wrenches. Obviously hammers, crowbars, etc. Also tools which are rarely used.

I use cheap where possible because you lose them so often (the sea, other sailors, etc). Multiple backups for key tools.

I guess the hardest tool to make well, not counting complex tools like crimpers , is screwdrivers, i guess. The metal must be really hard, the cut perfect. I spend big money on good screwdrivers without regret.
I don't disagree but screw drives seems to have a penitence for going overboard. Probably the most used topsides.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 10:42   #26

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

When I first outfitted my current boat I bought Harbor Freight, now I've replaced ALL of them with high quality tools, thye work better & last longer.

Yes, wipe them with oily rag after use.
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 10:53   #27

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

For easy access screw drivers I have several multi blade ones that work great stashed around the boat, but I do have a good set separated between my electrical tool box(small sizes) and mechanical tool box ( large ones)......

I buy hand many tools from the place I buy my wood working tools Lee Valley.... they do a good job sourcing things like multi blade screw drivers and other hand tools...
nwdiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 11:32   #28

Boat: Panda/Baba 40

When I was younger, I had a cheap automotive toolkit aboard. I don’t think it lasted the year. Screwdrivers, box wrenches, ratchets, crimpers, all that sort are of appropriate quality.

Power tools are pretty much all cheap-o or cheap-o adjacent. Seems to be fine for some reason. All get regular but light use.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 11:37   #29

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS2Dude View Post
Power Tools in particular I prefer quality battery tools.

Hand Tools are quality as well, except for those that I tend to loose. (Screw Drivers, Allen Wrenches) I will have quality versions stowed, and keep a few lesser quality for everyday use, especially on the deck.
This is interesting to me. I’m the exact opposite.

I will not but a battery powered tool at all. Ever.

I am fearful of the battery running out when I need it or just the battery getting old and starting to go down hill. I use an extension cord and my house bank as the battery.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 12:35   #30

Boat: O’Day 40

Here’s another perspective- if it has moving parts whether a crescent wrench or a drill, I generally buy decent tools. No moving parts, like a screw driver or pliers or wrench I go Harbor Freight. I work on my boat more than most folks I know & cant remember when one of my HF tools broke.

Worse though has been my experience with battery operated equipment; good for a few years and then the battery starts to lose it. Given their price it’s almost worth buying a new one.

I’d agree, both cheap & expensive tools have equally great penchants for a good swim. And the wanderlust of a 10 mm socket & drill bits are legendary.
LouK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap