Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26-02-2013, 16:46   #1

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Looking for opinions on helm seats

We have a pilothouse cutter in steel. The pilothouse is great, but lacks a helm seat. I would appreciate hearing opinions as to good brands, value and options in helm seats, with the following attributes factoring in my co-skipper is five feet tall and I am six feet tall:

1) Must have a basic footrest.
2) Must be able to be slid fore and aft.
3) Must be able to be "heeled" and locked for those trade wind stretches.
4) Must be able to raised and lowered to accommodate all short and tall crew. A gas pedestal is not, however, necessary...it could be a robust friction fitting.
5) Aluminum is better so as not to trouble the Globemaster compass.

Arms would be nice. It needn't be leather or have fighter-pilot seat form factors, like some of the better fishing trawlers or naval ships. I would prefer a fairly cut-down seat, the back of which could fold down. Basically, something safe and comfortable to motor in when entering and leaving anchorages, harbour or at times when the AP isn't appropriate.

I am having difficulty because I'm either seeing giant padded "god" seats, or crappy little bassboat seats, not a lot in between, and my wife is tired of standing on a cinder block.

Your comments and anecdotes are welcome and thank you.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
helm