Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 13:53   #16

Boat: Nauticat 33
Here is a photo of a helm seat made by a Nauticat 33 owner which almost copies the original manufactured by Siltala Yachts in Finland, the manufacturer of Nauticats. I hope the link to the photos works.

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/154082/...89660/name/n_a
JardiTancat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 14:38   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Looking for opinions on helm seats

I'm always surprised to see "standing only" helm positions. We have a hard fiberglass bench seat with a thin foam pad. I've often thought of installing some kind of seat like you mention, but I've never found anything that adapts to my space well. I too, share helm time with my wife who is significantly shorter and she once asked with puzzlement why I sat on a higher stack of pillows than she. Fortunately, I did not suggest to her that I had less natural insulation and padding inside my pants! Although this is true, the answer lies with the knee joint. We keep an ice chest as a foot rest and with the lower seat my wife's knees are bent at a comfortable ninety degrees; however, at the same seat level my longer legs leave my knees up high at an uncomfortable acute angle, so I add an extra thick pillow. We use large, loose, almost "bean bag" quality pillows that can mold an accomodation to a heel. This seems to beat any chair I could buy for the big bucks. The foot rest has a multiple function,- iced drinks, extra water tank, etc....and the pillows are fully adjustable. I realize that you have a different need and a large open space behind your helm that begs for a different solution, but many have a hard fiberglass bench seat like mine behind the helm. Good luck with your search!
Old 01-03-2013, 15:02   #18
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington

I have thought about this. I would think of having a ball joint fixed to the roof. Attach a pipe fitted inside another pipe for adjusting the lenght. three shock absorbers attached to slow things down. A metal basket seat like a bucket seat that you could put any cushions that you like.
Never seen it because it is probably a crazy idea that would make me sea sick. I have thought it wold be nice for just keep a look out with autopilot or wind vane on a calm night.
Problems: storage, it hitting someone, sea sickness, getting in and out easily.
RDW
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 15:17   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I've steered from a hammock with a remote switch that controlled my hydraulic steering pump, but only at times when I was not concerned about seeing the instruments at my binnacle or when motoring and requiring access to my throtle or gearshift.
Old 01-03-2013, 15:48   #20
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

I bought Zwaardvik for my Nauticat. Expensive but worth it. I searched long and hard for a gimbaled chair, including requests here. The only commercial model I ever found was discontinued. Have to have it designed and built for you by a competent machinist. I have been down this path.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 18:19   #21

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

I've got a wood barstool purchased at WalMart that works great. Next year I may upgrade to one with a back.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:56   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

alchemy--can you fab a mount for a nice comfy adjustable recaro seat??
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:14   #23
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post

This is the more affordable route. They make some nice captains chairs after market for vans and RVs, and they cost a fraction of a proper marine helm chair. The problem is the savings are eaten up in building the custom mount necessary. If you are a machinist and can make your own custom mount this would be good way to go.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:24   #24

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
When I welded my seats to the steel deck, I found I had to brace the steel from underneath as the steel flexes a good amount and the seat will wobble.
I would put a strong backing plate underneath and would through-bolt the pedestal firmly. But this is also why I would want a pivoting helm seat, to increase comfort and to reduce the shearing forces at the top of the pedestal and at the deck level.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:26   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JardiTancat View Post
Here is a photo of a helm seat made by a Nauticat 33 owner which almost copies the original manufactured by Siltala Yachts in Finland, the manufacturer of Nauticats. I hope the link to the photos works.

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/154082/...89660/name/n_a
Nice, but a little too "coastal" for my needs, and it can't easily be adjusted or strapped down effectively, by the look of it.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:29   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I'm always surprised to see "standing only" helm positions. We have a hard fiberglass bench seat with a thin foam pad. I've often thought of installing some kind of seat like you mention, but I've never found anything that adapts to my space well. I too, share helm time with my wife who is significantly shorter and she once asked with puzzlement why I sat on a higher stack of pillows than she. Fortunately, I did not suggest to her that I had less natural insulation and padding inside my pants! Although this is true, the answer lies with the knee joint. We keep an ice chest as a foot rest and with the lower seat my wife's knees are bent at a comfortable ninety degrees; however, at the same seat level my longer legs leave my knees up high at an uncomfortable acute angle, so I add an extra thick pillow. We use large, loose, almost "bean bag" quality pillows that can mold an accomodation to a heel. This seems to beat any chair I could buy for the big bucks. The foot rest has a multiple function,- iced drinks, extra water tank, etc....and the pillows are fully adjustable. I realize that you have a different need and a large open space behind your helm that begs for a different solution, but many have a hard fiberglass bench seat like mine behind the helm. Good luck with your search!
I don't have quite that amount of room there as I need to access electrical panels and vents. I suppose I could build a box with quick-release pins, however, as a box bench would be nice to stow charts and other helm-oriented gear, or even as a place to secure the ditch bag.

Hmm. I may have to rethink this! Argh!
Old 06-03-2013, 09:35   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I bought Zwaardvik for my Nauticat. Expensive but worth it. I searched long and hard for a gimbaled chair, including requests here. The only commercial model I ever found was discontinued. Have to have it designed and built for you by a competent machinist. I have been down this path.
Like this? Zwaardvis Maryland Style Folding Seat - Only $996.00 with Free Shipping! - Current Stock 6 - If we say in stock, it's in stock!

Yes, that's getting close. I like the folding-down aspect. I suppose it would be possible to mod such a chair with two shallow curves of metal and a couple of clamps or friction knobs underneath...loosen slightly to heel 20 degrees port and starboard or lock off as needed.

Those five "feet" would need to be clamped or otherwise firmly attached to the floor. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:36   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
I've got a wood barstool purchased at WalMart that works great. Next year I may upgrade to one with a back.
With a tri, maybe I could get away with that or an old-school wooden office chair...but it's a mono and subject to multi-axes of movement...
Old 06-03-2013, 09:42   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
Yes, I could, and it's beginning to look as if I want the seat (any seat) to pivot in a sort of friction drag mount, I would have to design and build it, or at least modify some sort of small, pivoting platform in metal.

The Recaro idea is a good one, but those car seat are simply too large for the space allotted. Had I the space, I would've gotten all spendy and selected a sort of "Perfect Storm fishing boat" helm seat which looks like something an astronaut would appreciate, but I'd rather keep this project under a boat buck.

It's not really the seat that's the issue...a pretty basic "folding back, lifting arms" model in white vinyl would do. Hell, a banana seat would do. It's the ability to move side-to-side, up and down and forward and aft that is somewhat of a sticking point, and maybe I'll have to up my welding game.

Thanks, Zee.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:58   #30
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

recaro seats are found used in datsun z cars and porsches..yummy comfy...fully adjustable, some, but that is electricity...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
helm