Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2015, 05:43   #76

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: What priorities do you have for staying safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
I agree- don't fall in the water. But if you're single handing near shore, in trafficked areas then a wearing a life jacket and carrying a radio can make all the difference.

Sailing into an anchorage/port you're much more likely to fall in. Dropping the anchor, dousing the sails, stepping off onto the dock and missing you're footing, or one of the biggest killers in the boating world- peeing over the side and losing your footing.

As pointed out, your options for rescue are limited if you're off shore.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
When I or someone else is on a night watch, I have a small personel epirb that goes in the coat pocket.

Another rule I have is that there is no going forward, that is leaving the cockpit without waking someone else up and being watched as do it. The only reason need to go forward would be to reef the main, which I can't do from the cockpit.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 05:44   #77

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Not usually a problem with the ladies- they all seem to have the stamina to hold it indefinitely.
Your ladies must be mutants or from another planet (Double check please) for all the ladies I've known, when they need to do it, they HAVE to do it
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 05:51   #78

Quote:
Not usually a problem with the ladies- they all seem to have the stamina to hold it indefinitely.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Well, as far as I know I've never had a lady try to pee over the side on my boat.
Old 13-03-2015, 05:58   #79
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAIN97133 View Post
PS: I attach the engine key to the closed cooling water seacock, that way I can't start the engine without looking at the closed cooling water seacock
You of course feel that is safe. On the other hand I think that is crazy and I leave my engine key in the panel so if the boat drags and others notice and try to save my boat they can start it.
Old 13-03-2015, 05:59   #80
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Well, as far as I know I've never had a lady try to pee over the side on my boat.
I seen it done in a mooring field.
Old 13-03-2015, 06:02   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
You of course feel that is safe. On the other hand I think that is crazy and I leave my engine key in the panel so if the boat drags and others notice and try to save my boat they can start it.
Is your panel in the cockpit or something?

Are you not concerned about theft?

I would never like strangers trying to move my boat. I'd be too concerned they would damage the engine. In addition my panel is inside. I always lock the gangway boards when I go far ashore and always on my mooring.
Old 13-03-2015, 06:11   #82

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Safey items for us are (not necessarily in any order as all are critical in our opinion):
  • The absolute integrity of any below the waterline holes. Hence, new and/or serviced seacocks this past year. Also having plugs for every thru hole just in case they fail
  • The rig, including all deck fittings/backing plates
  • The engine
  • The knowledge/skill of the crew. Know what you're doing out there! I never cease to be amazed at how many people out there have no frigging clue about the rules of the road.
  • Preventing fire and having adequate means to deal with one should it start
  • A good reefing system, being familiar with it, and using it early
  • Back up navigation systems. For us this has never been too difficult as we have always been coastal sailors. A spare GPS, chart books and guides, a couple of compasses, and we have always been good. We plan on getting a chartplotter this time around. And we will have Navionics on our iPad and iPhones. We'll feel like we've joined the techno big leagues.
  • Staying on board the boat. This will receive more consideration when we set out this time due to my slightly compromised balance. I will wear a lifejacket anytime I go forward on the deck regardless of conditions since I have been known to occasionally wobble on a perfectly flat and stationary floor. We will both use tethers when conditions warrant. I will no doubt use them much more than Lance does.
  • A good boarding ladder is a must because if Lance ever fell over I would never be able to get him back aboard without one.
  • Sun protection is essential for us as we have already had issues with pre-cancerous skin spots on our faces. A dodger, a bimini, sun screen, protective clothing, and hats.
I could probably think of lots more as we have LISTS at home of all the things we want to do to make the boat as safe and efficient as possible, but these are the ones that come immediately to mind.

I don't see being concerned about safety as in any way compromising the fun. Once you know that you have the safety aspect covered then you can relax and enjoy the ride. It would all be much less enjoyable for me if I didn't know we had taken care of those things first.
Old 13-03-2015, 06:47   #83
CLOD

Quote:
Is your panel in the cockpit or something?

Are you not concerned about theft?

I would never like strangers trying to move my boat. I'd be too concerned they would damage the engine. In addition my panel is inside. I always lock the gangway boards when I go far ashore and always on my mooring.
Yes it is in cockpit.

No I'm not worried about my leaving the key in making any difference whatever in someone trying to steal my boat. If they go all the way out to the boat and board it to steal it that key wouldn't any difference (I can start a boat diesel without a key in hardly any time).

You are more concerned that they MIGHT damage the boat as to it WILL be damaged if they let it drift.
Old 13-03-2015, 08:04   #84

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Thanks Ron, only $256 for my little engine bay. But I think I'll miss it. I have more need of other safety equipment, especialy over board stuff.
Just trying to answer the question. We all have our budgets and we all have our priorities. I would think the danger of a fire with a gasoline engine would be far more than with a diesel. I don't have an automatic fire extinguisher either but I have considered it.
Old 13-03-2015, 15:09   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Just trying to answer the question. We all have our budgets and we all have our priorities. I would think the danger of a fire with a gasoline engine would be far more than with a diesel. I don't have an automatic fire extinguisher either but I have considered it.
FIF I had a gasoline / petrol engine I'd definately have one. $250 would be a cheap investment. But, personally I'd never have considered buying a gasoline engine sail boat.
Old 13-03-2015, 15:29   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
FIF I had a gasoline / petrol engine I'd definately have one. $250 would be a cheap investment. But, personally I'd never have considered buying a gasoline engine sail boat.
Strange,
The majority of power/offshore/fishing boats in Florida are petrol. Big tanks and no problems..either large outboards or gas guzzling inboards.

Few issues.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 16:13   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Strange,
The majority of power/offshore/fishing boats in Florida are petrol. Big tanks and no problems..either large outboards or gas guzzling inboards.

Few issues.
Yeah, I know Weavis, I've picked that up on that other thread. I guess it's just a personal thing.

In this part of the world petrol 'in boards' are not encouraged at all. And I doubt there as prevelant as they are in other parts of the world. But I admit I don't know for sure in that. I rarely if ever came across an inboard in sail boats for sale when I spent a year searching three years ago. But I was only looking in Tasmania and the East Coast of Australia.

It's also interesting that in Tasmania, you get diesel bowsers on jetty's, but I'm not 'aware' of anywhere here that there's a petrol bowser on a jetty.
Old 13-03-2015, 20:50   #88

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Safety: good anti seasickness treatment.

Ann
Old 13-03-2015, 22:29   #89

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
In some imaginary world, I think it would be really nice to have a jackline running along the fore and aft centreline of the boat. Really nice, when it's rolling terribly. But we live in the world we live in, and we do the best we can.
Thats what I have rigged at sea....... rope.... shoulder height at the mast, clove hitched around the babystay and then led to a frd cleat... same again from behind the traveller (cc) to midships aft at deck ( crawl) level.
Old 14-03-2015, 01:51   #90

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Thats what I have rigged at sea....... rope.... shoulder height at the mast, clove hitched around the babystay and then led to a frd cleat... same again from behind the traveller (cc) to midships aft at deck ( crawl) level.
Yeah, Frank, it could save your life some day. Good idea!

Ann