Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2015, 18:19   #61

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: What priorities do you have for staying safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
What's 'a fixed fire fighting system' entail ?
What's it cost? And why is it necessary over fire extinguishers?
This will get you started:

FIREBOY XINTEX MA2 Manual/Auto Clean Agent Fire Extinguishers | West Marine
Old 12-03-2015, 22:30   #62

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

Thanks Ron, only $256 for my little engine bay. But I think I'll miss it. I have more need of other safety equipment, especialy over board stuff.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 23:35   #63

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

RC,

If you're single-handing all the time, you don't need MOB gear. You need to be sure you do not fall off the boat! Period. Many exclamation marks.

Sorry to sound so vehement. I'm talking jacklines, tethers, both long and short, constantly rigged preventers (or a Boom Brake sort of deal, but I like ours better).

The business of staying on board extends also to thinking ahead, like not going for max speed, but considering reefing before it gets too lumpy, and if you sail Banks St. you know what I mean.

Ultimately, it is an extreme dose of prudence that keeps the singlehander safe. Take a look at what Boatman 61 posts about nursing unsuitable vessels to destinations. He wants to keep on doing deliveries! It doesn't fit with the macho image he projects, but he is one prudent skipper, so far as I can tell.
A.
Old 13-03-2015, 01:45   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
RC,

If you're single-handing all the time, you don't need MOB gear. You need to be sure you do not fall off the boat! Period. Many exclamation marks.

Sorry to sound so vehement. I'm talking jacklines, tethers, both long and short, constantly rigged preventers (or a Boom Brake sort of deal, but I like ours better).

The business of staying on board extends also to thinking ahead, like not going for max speed, but considering reefing before it gets too lumpy, and if you sail Banks St. you know what I mean.

Ultimately, it is an extreme dose of prudence that keeps the singlehander safe. Take a look at what Boatman 61 posts about nursing unsuitable vessels to destinations. He wants to keep on doing deliveries! It doesn't fit with the macho image he projects, but he is one prudent skipper, so far as I can tell.
A.
I've never 'single handed' yet. The questions wern't specific to single handed.

However, I do want to try single handed sailing. Last weekend I almost got away for three days on my own on my first single coastal sail, but just a couple of hours in I had both an engine coolant problem and a pss seal problem and by the time I sorted them out I'd lost my opportunity to get over a bar way at my destination, so that was the end of that. I'm hoping I'll get another opportunity at Easter time.
Old 13-03-2015, 02:35   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAIN97133 View Post
When I was sailing non stop, I had a small 410 I used to hunt with... last time, t'was in the deserted island of Eiao one of the northernmost Marquesas islands... not tolerated any more I shot a wild pig & a wild goat... They were real tasty but real tough...
Thats coz you cooked them wrong.

I used to cook wild pig all the time in Florida and there is a technique.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 03:58   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
RC,

A.
I agree- don't fall in the water. But if you're single handing near shore, in trafficked areas then a wearing a life jacket and carrying a radio can make all the difference.

Sailing into an anchorage/port you're much more likely to fall in. Dropping the anchor, dousing the sails, stepping off onto the dock and missing you're footing, or one of the biggest killers in the boating world- peeing over the side and losing your footing.

As pointed out, your options for rescue are limited if you're off shore.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 04:01   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
I agree- don't fall in the water. But if you're single handing near shore, in trafficked areas then a wearing a life jacket and carrying a radio can make all the difference.

Sailing into an anchorage/port you're much more likely to fall in. Dropping the anchor, dousing the sails, stepping off onto the dock and missing you're footing, or one of the biggest killers in the boating world- peeing over the side and losing your footing.

As pointed out, your options for rescue are limited if you're off shore.

I enforce a strict rule on the Van, no peeing over the side if alone on deck. Especially if drink is involved.

Old 13-03-2015, 04:09   #68

Boat: C&C 34

I always tell my crew " there are emergency exists all around the vessel. If you see me leaving in a hurry try to keep up"

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Mandurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 04:27   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Cheers, I didn't know if such of such systems on sail boats. If you have a diesel, what's the 'need'? Is a fire likely to occur in your engine bay when it's cold?
I have three "automatic" Halon fire extinguishers, one in the engine compt, one in the electrical cabinet behind all the circuit breakers, and one in the Lazarette where the fridge compressor and battery charger are. I'm pretty sure they were standard Island Packet build. I like having them, I think they are a good idea.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 05:27   #70

Boat: Ericson 34

I forgot... When I leave my sailboat alone, anchored for a few days, I ALWAYS use TWO anchors & lines & I close ALL through-the-hull seacocks except the cockpit drains of course that are above the water level & don't have seacocks anyway Cheers !
PS: I attach the engine key to the closed cooling water seacock, that way I can't start the engine without looking at the closed cooling water seacock
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 05:29   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
PS: I attach the engine key to the engine cooling water intake seacock, that way I can't start the engine without looking at the cooling water seacock
Taking notes Dockhead?

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 05:33   #72

Quote:
I forgot... When I leave my sailboat alone, anchored for a few days, I ALWAYS use TWO anchors & lines & I close ALL through-the-hull seacocks except the cockpit drains of course that are above the water level & don't have seacocks anyway Cheers !
PS: I attach the engine key to the closed engine cooling water seacock, that way I can't start the engine without looking at the cooling water seacock... that remind me to open it
This is a good one. I specifically don't close my seawater intake for the engine because I figure the risk of forgetting to open it and wrecking my engine is a bigger risk than sinking. This would be a good way of accomplishing both, not sinking and not running the engine dry.

Old 13-03-2015, 05:33   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
I enforce a strict rule on the Van, no peeing over the side if alone on deck. Especially if drink is involved.

Is that for both genders?
Old 13-03-2015, 05:35   #74

Quote:
PS: I attach the engine key to the closed engine cooling water seacock, that way I can't start the engine without looking at the cooling water seacock
What a great idea
Old 13-03-2015, 05:37   #75

Quote:
Is that for both genders?
Not usually a problem with the ladies- they all seem to have the stamina to hold it indefinitely.