Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2013, 12:55   #16

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Wet Suit

Changing zincs, fouled props, occasionally scrubbing the bottom and hunting although I seem to do that less and less as I get older. Bottom time is too short and fish and lobsters getting scarcer and smarter. Don't forget a weight belt. We also have skins but the wet suits are warmer.
Old 22-12-2013, 12:59   #17

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Properly fitted the surfing style wetsuits can be worn for long periods.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 13:38   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

nothings more flexible than a Henderson hyperstretch, but all wet suits will cause you to have an odor if worn for long
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 14:03   #19

Boat: Freedom 38

I've tried using a triathlon suit for kayaking. Don't do it. You'll overheat if you're not in the water and then can get hyperthermic because wet neoprene won't keep you warm. Depending on the thickness, you'll also need weights and good fins, which will help in breath-holding because you won't be struggling to keep yourself under. Whatever you buy, make sure it's good and tight. The key to staying warm in a wet suit is not for the body to warm up the water, but for the suit to keep as much water out. I recommend you get certified (not expensive and doesn't take long), which would pay off in the long run to dive your own boat, spearfish for dinner, see the sights underneath, etc.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 15:07   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
............... and then can get hyperthermic because wet neoprene won't keep you warm............
Hypo.....?
Old 22-12-2013, 15:24   #21

Boat: hunter 376

Well, I've seen people get hyperthermic in a wetsuit, usually waiting for a dive in 100 deg heat during summer.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 15:36   #22

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I

Can personally attest to the hyperthermia in hot temps on dive boats.
klmmicro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 15:41   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Wet Suit

So maybe its the fault of the dive instructor in not getting them to unzip and have it hanging round their waist till its their turn...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 15:47   #24

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
So maybe its the fault of the dive instructor in not getting them to unzip and have it hanging round their waist till its their turn...
Could be for instructees taking classes. In my case, it was nobody's fault but my own and I should have known better. I was too quick to prep and ended up waiting on a very slow partner (she was part of a class). In my attempt to help her prep...I did not drop my gear and ventilate. I actually got physically ill in under 10 minutes! Sucked pretty bad too.
klmmicro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 15:48   #25

Boat: Toy boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
Thanks, everyone. I'm also thinking about wet suit use for stand-up paddleboarding. Trips ashore in an open dink in dirty weather can also be tough.
I have stand ups and they are very handy for light tending.
Oregon Waterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 15:48   #26

Boat: O'Day 28

3 mil full suit in 35 N or less ... tough to beat the utility for the money. Can wear all watch if necessary. It doesn't have to stink. Get the buoyancy right for maintenance work. Be nice to have if the SHTF too.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 20:50   #27

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Hypo.....?
Sorry, yes, I meant hypothermic.

The point is that you can overheat in a wet suit if it's hot and the suit is not already wet; you can freeze if the air temp is cold and the suit is wet. It works well in the water, but not so good out of it. Unless you need the buoyancy and are "not likely" to be submerged for a long time, fleece with a good paddling jacket are probably better suited for kayaking and SUPs.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 22:20   #28

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Many divers view a wet suit as a consumable with a life span dependent on usage. There are many styles and what is best for one person may not be best for another person. There are also lots of what I will call wet suit accessories, things like rash guards, hoods, gloves booties, and I am a big fan of something called

Lava Core

If it gets too cold I can put a neopreme vest, hood, or pants over the Lava Core top and bottom. I also have an older semi dry suit from my windsurfing days that allows much free joint movement than traditional wet suits.

Just as I sometimes sail in shorts and a t-shirt and other times wear long pants and long sleeve shirts I also vary my wet suit choice depending on the conditions.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 22:38   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'll stick to the 'warm fresh water down the neck' technique.. cuts down on the sweat rash..
Should mention this was learnt from experience working 12hr days in a wet suit for a seismic survey in Poole harbour through the winter.. not a 4 hr sit around/swim..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 05:31   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
The point is that you can overheat in a wet suit if it's hot and the suit is not already wet; you can freeze if the air temp is cold and the suit is wet. It works well in the water, but not so good out of it.........
Good point! .....and I know why I haven't considered this. I'm familiar with the technique of cooling water hung in an unglazed pot in a breeze, but this works well in arid areas and not well in humid Florida. People also don't wear wetsuits in the surf in Florida. I'm sure there's a geograpical componets to what you should expect with a wet suit out of the water. I've only used a wet suit out of the water in Florida storms with a driving rain and harsh winds, but always mild temperatures. I can't imagine anyone wearing a wet suit for longer than a couple minutes out of the water on a hot Florida summer day!