Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2013, 07:51   #1
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Wet Suit

I'd like to hear about an advantages in carrying a wet suit on board even if you are not a diver. Do you carry a wet suit and in what ways do you use it? Any preferred type?
Old 22-12-2013, 08:02   #2

Boat: Hunter 340
Re: Wet Suit

I carry a wetsuit onboard for diving. I was a commercial diver for many years so I can't imagine wearing a wetsuit voluntarily for any purpose other than diving!
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 08:05   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Wet Suit

I always carry a shortie wetsuit and booties... even for deliveries..
In bad weather like winds and rain and cold I will use them with a snug wind cheater as they help keep the cold out/body heat in.. and are a damn sight easier to move around on deck quickly with the decreased windage.. getting chilly..? give the kettle a quick blast and pour the warm water down the neck and your toasty again in a flash.. don't make as much mess below decks after as foulies... a towel will quickly sop what little excess moisture may be there.. the booties give good grip on all surfaces..
Also handy if I need to go over the side to un foul the prop or check the rudder for some reason.. hate jelly stings..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 08:07   #4

Boat: hunter 376

I carry only a mask and snorkel in case of a foul prop or anchor, but a wetsuit would be a welcome addition, given the water temp around here most of the year. I would carry a thin, very portable and inexpensive style given the very brief and rare time it might be used. If I wanted to actually snorkel for recreation, I would go for a thicker and more complete suit. In either case, fabric lined neoprene is essential, since putting on an unlined suit can be difficult.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 08:08   #5

Boat: Hunter Helsen 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I always carry a shortie wetsuit and booties... even for deliveries..
In bad weather like winds and rain and cold I will use them with a snug wind cheater as they help keep the cold out/body heat in.. and are a damn sight easier to move around on deck quickly with the decreased windage.. getting chilly..? give the kettle a quick blast and pour the warm water down the neck and your toasty again in a flash.. don't make as much mess below decks after as a towel will quickly sop what little excess moisture may be there.. the booties give good grip on all surfaces..
Also handy if I need to go over the side to un foul the prop or check the rudder for some reason.. hate jelly stings..
Great for cold and/or foul weather.
Wench'sCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 08:19   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Wet Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebird View Post
putting on an unlined suit can be difficult.
Johnsons Baby Talcum Powder..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 08:24   #7

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
I'd like to hear about an advantages in carrying a wet suit on board even if you are not a diver. Do you carry a wet suit and in what ways do you use it? Any preferred type?
I carry two surfing wetsuits -- a shorty and a full body. In addition to others' comments, I find a wet suit (and dive gloves) invaluable for bottom cleaning if there are any hard critters attached. When I'm cleaning the prop and shaft, I'm always banging against the hull. When I've done it with gloves only, my back would get scraped and covered in ablated paint. Without gloves, my hands were getting shredded by the barnacles. The whole process is much less personally destructive with wetsuit protection.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 08:30   #8

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
I don't use a wet suit, live and sail in windward islands, Caribbean. I do use gloves and a cap. I always am hitting my head on the boat and it keeps it from being cut on the barnicals.
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 08:37   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I've had several wet suits over the years, but my favorite is my current Henderson. Being raised in South Florida I'm a "pansy" when it comes to cold. If I need to clear a fouled prop in Maine, the wet suit is a must! Like Boatman, I have used my suit in cold foul weather. I've even put on the dive mask to work on deck in a driving rain,
Old 22-12-2013, 08:39   #10

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I

Being a diver and kayaker in Southern California, wetsuits are regular fare for my time on the water. The local waters are rather chilly and diving without a suit is actually dangerous. Despite my specific requirement, it seems it would be well worth the premium of space it takes up should waters get cold for anyone. They serve to help protect against scrapes, scratches and hypothermia.

Something to consider, even a thin “surf suit” (2mm/3mm) will stiffen your movements on deck. Properly fitted, a suit is snug and offers resistance. They can fatigue one in short order if worn as regular clothing.

For going over the side, a suit makes good sense.
klmmicro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 09:14   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmmicro View Post
............. Something to consider, even a thin “surf suit” (2mm/3mm) will stiffen your movements on deck. Properly fitted, a suit is snug and offers resistance. They can fatigue one in short order if worn as regular clothing............
I've noticed this and it's good advice. I've used my wet suit on deck while anchored in a tropical storm to work my way to the foredeck to inspect my chafing gear and snubbers. My progress would likely be more difficult with the windage of bulkier clothing instead of the svelte suit. I do agree that the suit would lose advantage on deck for longer terms, but for a short task in cold and wind it excels.
Old 22-12-2013, 09:18   #12

I used a shortie and a "thin skin". (long sleeves, long legs)The thin skin ended up being used all the time... bottom cleaning, snorkeling etc. Kept me warmer for long trips and was nice to provide a little protection from jellyfish etc. Didnt require weight to counteract flotation either.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 09:23   #13

Boat: Toy boat

Up here in Oregon, I surf and sail and my suits on board are a safety thing as well. I dive my own boat in 47 degree water, wouldn't last five minutes in that water without one.
I also carry last years survival suits I buy from the commercial boats. They are passed along to me at 50.00 each and are another good safety item.
Oregon Waterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 11:13   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Janet,

IMO, the combination of a shorty suit and a stinger suit (light weight, neck to ankle jellyfish protection) would serve you well. The shorty suit can be used as Boatie describes, and will also keep you warm when snorkeling. Like Boatie, I dislike jelly stings, and I like my stinger suit so much I usually wear it when swimming, snorkeling for tending the bottom or pleasure.

Ann
Old 22-12-2013, 11:43   #15
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

Thanks, everyone. I'm also thinking about wet suit use for stand-up paddleboarding. Trips ashore in an open dink in dirty weather can also be tough.