Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2011, 20:22   #91

Re: Smoke, Smoke, Smoke that Cigarette !

Wow, such a simple question, and it's brought everybody's pet peeves out for a walk along the rabbit trails, and triggered those with emotional issues related to the topic to spill it all here, too, even though little of it helps the discussion one iota. Lean to keep those things to yourselves, please, or go get some therapy.

The short answer is, "We'd all move, if it bothered us enough."

Pipe smoke would not bother me; cigar smell not so much, because it's probably not going to happen that often; but yeah, I really don't like the smell of cigarette smoke, and if it's still daylight, it would be worth the effort of re-anchoring somewhere else, even if I were then slightly less protected from wind/surge.

I likes me my fresh air: that's part of why I'm out there.

The word "offense" is so over-used in the modern world, and this is not a situation for offense as such; it's simply a matter of how much effort you're willing to expend to avoid something that is mildly or moderately unpleasant for you.

It seems the OP is asking because he's concerned about his own smoke being a nuisance to others anchored downwind of him, and while that's certainly nice of him to consider it, it's really up to those other people to act in accordance with their own priorities. I hope he's not considering refraining from his habit out of the fear that someone else downwind might be put out by it.
Old 14-09-2011, 20:24   #92

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

This is like a Haywood County homecoming! Cooter, tripe, cabbage, cigarettes and sweet tea, all on a cruising yacht?

I'd definitely move if someone was smoking near me. I have no interest in controlling what others do. All the narrative about other pollutants is irrelevant in terms of my short-term airway happiness. Cigarette smoke makes me sick, literally. I wish it didn't, but everything starts to swell up. Dusty conditions in farming seems to have made it worse.

Some of us are just more sensitive to it for whatever reason. I'm also sensitive to nasty perfumes, I've discovered. I can smell a woman's perfume in my farm shop long after she leaves. My poor wife doesn't wear it cause I'd never go near her sweet little neck with various lotions and perfumes lathered about. When the dew sets of a evenin', I can smell a variety of rich earthy smells from the farm; freshly plowed soil or new mown hay, or ripened barley half a mile away. Sawing teak or grinding gelcoat fills me with good memories of boatyards, and the smell of a head actually reminds me of great offshore adventures. I;m sure many of you have the same experience. Smells and smoke are different you say? Not so fast... the reality for me, and others I presume, is that cigarette smoke, however diffuse, can sometimes keep us up at night and cause an asthma attack. Not just plumes of smoke, but even faint smells of it, can SOMETIMES create a reaction. Bummer, huh? Life was rough on the NC coast this summer with the fires...

I guess I'd feel defensive if I was a smoker, you guys are on the retreat for sure and there is little hope that things will get more relaxed, thank goodness. At least you can go to sea and smoke til your hearts content. My first mate smokes while on board, but he knows how it makes me feel. Some of my best friends are tobacco farmers. I have a tobacco heritage license plate on my car to the consternation of my self-righteous friends, because tobacco has funded a great deal in agriculture. As much as I believe in ones right to freedom, I will not tolerate smokers who are not thoughtful. No one lives close enough to me to bother me with cigarettes. If you light up next to me in line, I will kindly and patiently tell you how it makes me feel and request you put it out. And you will put it out. That's all that matters.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 20:48   #93

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
, and the smell of a head actually reminds me of great offshore adventures. I;m sure many of you have the same experience.
There we go... someone who actually *admits* to a head fetish!
Old 14-09-2011, 21:48   #94

Boat: looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
It seems the OP is asking because he's concerned about his own smoke being a nuisance to others anchored downwind of him, and while that's certainly nice of him to consider it, it's really up to those other people to act in accordance with their own priorities. I hope he's not considering refraining from his habit out of the fear that someone else downwind might be put out by it.
Exactly, couldn't(didn't) put it better, myself!

If someone politely told me that it was bugging them, if there was room, I'd move just to give them a break. As for distance, I was just raising a "what if" kind of question to see what responses were forthcoming, I don't plan to anchor like a siamese twin.

Oh, and I've been smoking for 33 years, not 43. That'd mean I started smoking at the age of 5.(lol)
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 22:05   #95

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

First rule: there will be no smoking on the boat!

Old 14-09-2011, 22:15   #96

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

Seriously, if 2 boats are anchored close enough that the smell of smoke is a problem, then they are almost certainly anchored too close.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 00:30   #97
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post
However... where is it written that you can flick you "Butts" into the water or onto the wakways we all travel. "You" do this like it was a god given right!
I can assure you that my tobacco butts are not dropped on the orders of God(s).....I might smoke tobbaco that has a fair chance of killing me - but even I ain't stupid enough to suck on bronze age Woo
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 02:02   #98

Boat: Top Hat Mk 2 25 foot

OK I will step in on this rant.
Smoking has no calories.
(Calories are the nasty little buggers who creep into your wardrobe/closet and sew your clothes tighter)
It does not affect anyone else unless they breathe in and stand close.

It is a personal choice.
Aussie Sealady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 04:49   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
People are way too ofended by what other people do.

Just remeber there IS a GOD......and you ain't it.

Amen brother!
slowshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 05:22   #100

Boat: SAGA 27 AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowshoes View Post
Amen brother!
Welllll... Lots of people believe in lots of Gods, and none of us are any one of them is more correct.
Old 15-09-2011, 05:47   #101

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Two words, "field dress". If you're a smoker and don't know what that is, find out!!
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 06:20   #102

Boat: SAGA 27 AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by familycruisers View Post
Two words, "field dress". If you're a smoker and don't know what that is, find out!!
Now THAT... Is pretty sick, and has no place in this forum.
Old 15-09-2011, 06:56   #103
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

In Ontario, Canada, it is illegal to smoke in any public place. Frankly, I think we should extend that and create a ban on various other things: wood burning fireplaces (the unburned hydrocarbons can be incredibly high); lawns (I am allergic to grass and find the odour of fresh cut grass to be nauseating); gasoline or diesel powered motor boats and generators - we should rely solely on wind power, pedals or oars (carbon monoxide and unburned hydrocarbons are not only dangerous, the engines create noise pollution and bad smells). At the very least, we should ban the use of an engine while entering or exiting, or while in anchorages and marinas, canal locks, rivers or while near shore.

We should also be considerate of the psychological well-being of others - lets face it, psychological harm can be as bad as physical harm. I would propose a ban on the public display of all music - people should be required to use headphones. While we are at it, we should ban boisterous conversation and loud laughter - keep it indoors, people! And as for children - well, they are noisy and should not be allowed to be seen or heard near other vessels where there might only be adults present.

Finally, we should also consider a ban on tolerance - there is far too much of that going around, don't you think?

Cheers (so long as it is quiet and respectful)!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 07:14   #104
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
I

Finally, we should also consider a ban on tolerance - there is far too much of that going around, don't you think?

Cheers (so long as it is quiet and respectful)!

Brad
Right on, brother! A little compassion and tolerance go a long way. Either I suffer through the night, or I move. Let's face it, we've all suffered through much more than a bad smell for a night.
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 07:23   #105
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
if you donot want to see plastic in the water, educate folks about storm drains.

You're so right about that. Every time we have a big rainstorm here, the bay is filled afterwards with plastic washed down from the public streets. We only see the plastic because it floats. It wasn't ONLY plastic in the gutters when the rain hit.

I'm afraid this problem may get worse as municipal budgets get cut more and more. They've cut back on trash pick ups here. I don't know about street cleaning but it certainly would be a place they could make cuts if they thought of it.

Then even more would wash into the ocean.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote