Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2016, 03:48   #1

New Technology - Feedback appreciated!

Hi there,

I am currently doing research into varies potential applications for illuminating fabrics technology.

The technology is based around illuminating fabrics, and I am trying to see if there would be a potential market in the boat sail market. The idea is, that there would be red illuminating material going around the outline of the port side of the sail and green on the starboard side, making boats much more visible when sailing at night, and also allowing others to ascertain which side of the boat they are looking at .what direction it's heading.

Your thoughts on the above idea would be greatly appreciated.

I would also love to get an idea of the average cost of a sail for a yacht say 32' - 38' just to get an idea of what people spend on a new sail.

Many thanks,
Smighty.
Smighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:10   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: New Technology - Feedback appreciated!

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Smighty.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:49   #3

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

The various angles that sails can be set would mean your red or green could be visible from the bow or stern as well, which would be misleading and probably a violation of regulations. If u want to increase visibility that's fine, but pick non-conflicting colors. See the colregs for lights at night configurations.

From a sailors perspective seeing the outline of a sail at night would be beneficial for trimming without having to turn on deck lights. But it would have to be dim enough not to wreck your night vision.

Sent from somewhere in the Pacific
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:58   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

As Autumn mentioned lighting up the entire sail in red/green would violate Colregs so that won't work. But there really isn't a need for it either. From a sail trim standpoint being able to light up draft strips say 2 inches wide by the width at that point would be enough.

There are some other places I can see this being usefully depending on the amount of illumination. The underside of biminies would be one place I would love it.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:08   #5

Boat: 2002 Catana 471

Yes, under my hard bimini, warm white and dimmable. And maybe later even inside. But not for outside or as navigation light.
Travelaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:17   #6

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I don't want to be a wet blanket but I think you have 2 insurmountable issues. On safety, if not close hauled your colored patches would violate the CGREGS. More importantly, you are offering a solution to a non problem. If visibility at night is the problem, the solution would be more elevated and/or higher intensity running lights which is a tiny fraction of the cost of new sails. Spreader light on the sails is another low cost option but also has a night vision issue. Either way I respectfully suggest you investigate other markets. Safety vests might be one if your product is brighter than the reflective materials in common use.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:50   #7

Boat: Laguna, windrose 25

What about "night" flags??
Joel E Felt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:14   #8

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

I can think of lots of potential uses for safety gear, liferaft canopies, life jacket covers, jackstay lines etc if this is effectively an illuminated version of the glass bead reflective strip. Can you also turn it into a paint and do all the pot buoys!!!
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:31   #9

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smighty View Post
The idea is, that there would be red illuminating material going around the outline of the port side of the sail and green on the starboard side
As already pointed out, that won't work

I do use reflective tape; looks something like this (example pic only):

Already available pretty much everywhere, and pretty budget friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smighty View Post
I would also love to get an idea of the average cost of a sail for a yacht say 32' - 38'
What is the average cost of a 3 - 4 bedroom apartment (worldwide)?
Old 06-03-2016, 10:40   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

Such sails may be in fact illegal. Boats are supposed to show only the lights described in relevant regulations.

Still the technology can be used in alternative ways.

Illuminated trim strips on sail can help sailors trim sails at night. Vide poster above.

Etc.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:10   #11

Boat: Island Packet 35

Personally, I am pretty fed up with all the neon, rope lights, etc. that have been showing up on many powerboats in recent years and it is hard enough to figure out which way they are going without adding any other light that is not already listed in the Colregs.

that being said, I think, as others pointed out, it may be useful for turning on and off to make sure you are seen, and sail trim, but the difference in buying a new sail or my $10 12volt spotlight would not make it worth my money.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:15   #12

Boat: 1984 Cal 31

Would anyone really confuse these for navigation lights? Perhaps the OP could provide an example of the size he was thinking. Outlining a shape on either side of a sail, at a large scale size, would not likely confuse anyone at night. Or perhaps do it at the higher points of the sail to increase general visibility of the vessel.

Could these be turned on quickly or do they 'warm up'? What is the power usage? What colors are available? What kind of brightness levels? How much does it weigh beyond the weight of typical sail cloth?

I think we are thinking too 'inside the box' on what the OP is imagining.

Tankersteve
tankersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 23:29   #13

Boat: Dehler Varianta 65

Something like this?

These fabrics were made specifically for night skiing off the standard slopes...

Although it would be really annoying so much light.
messias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 00:04   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Annoying is the word for this idea. When I see navigation lights I know what I'm seeing and the likely distance from them. When I see something else lit up strangely on the ocean I'm either confused or annoyed. Either way not good.

Otoh there are many applications for lighted fabrics aboard. As long as it doesn't blow your night vision.

Finally. On my sailboat if I have some concern that I'm not being seen I hail the ship using the DSC radio calling bridge to bridge or I shine a light on my sails or I flip on the spreader lights (knowing my night vision will be compromised) all of these work well and none of them confuse other boaters.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 14-03-2016, 23:57   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankersteve View Post
Would anyone really confuse these for navigation lights? Perhaps the OP could provide an example of the size he was thinking. Outlining a shape on either side of a sail, at a large scale size, would not likely confuse anyone at night. Or perhaps do it at the higher points of the sail to increase general visibility of the vessel.

Could these be turned on quickly or do they 'warm up'? What is the power usage? What colors are available? What kind of brightness levels? How much does it weigh beyond the weight of typical sail cloth?

I think we are thinking too 'inside the box' on what the OP is imagining.

Tankersteve
As already pointed out, unless close hauled, you could be showing red to your bow, green to your stern or vice versa. The box has been defined by regulation, thinking outside of that box endanger's your boat, your crew, and every other vessel you might encounter at night. Sometimes the box is a good place to be. rarely but in this case, ya, please stay in the box.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote