Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2013, 15:10   #61

I'm sure I'll catch flack for this but I don't jackline in all the time underway even when solo. Personally I'm off the belief that you judge the conditions much like everything else and act accordingly. In the story that started this thread I might or might not have been; the roll period and sloppy nature might have had me clipped. But I've also motored across mill pond conditions for days on end and frankly it's just not necessary for days like that.

I don't sail around triple reefed with a storm jib up "just in case" all the time and I'm not going to spend years of my life harnesses to a boat 24/7 underway.

Whenever I get out of the cockpit, especially sailing solo, to walk up to the foredeck I remind myself "Okay, this is the part where you die," and then I take whatever precautions I tink are prudent.

We're crossing the Pacific next year. Being becalmed in the doldrums for a few days with a jacklined harness, where you can shave in the water's reflection, just seems insane to me.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 15:34   #62
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Girl Overboard !

No flak from me mate..
when my mobility has faded maybe.. but prefer the freedom and speed for safety..
I just judge evarything 3 moves ahead..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 19:26   #63

No flack from me either. I judge the situation and adjust the safety requirements based on conditions. I think it's a personal choice (or family choice if applicable).
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 15:46   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
LOts of good stuff about knowing someone is overboard, and practising the manoeuvre to get close to them.

However, this is not even half of the problem.

How many of you have actually tried to recover a body from the water - especially if they are so exhausted that they cannot assist.

This is the most difficut and the most crucial part of the process, yet it is not even thoght about by the sailing schools.

How many people know that if someone has been in the water for a long time, and is totally exhausted, that the safest way to bring them back onboard is keeping them horizontal. Winching them back vertical is a good way of initiating a heart attack
I was taught this in July on my RYA YM prep week, we never had a block n pulley system and proved a 16st crew couldn't be hauled by a 32' ers boom or spinning halyard , we used the storm gib tied to the toe rail and clew to a halyard , ok it worked to lift the crew horizontally very easily but getting an unconscious person into it would be fun in a swell!
Hoofsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 16:01   #65
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Girl Overboard !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofsmit View Post
I was taught this in July on my RYA YM prep week, we never had a block n pulley system and proved a 16st crew couldn't be hauled by a 32' ers boom or spinning halyard , we used the storm gib tied to the toe rail and clew to a halyard , ok it worked to lift the crew horizontally very easily but getting an unconscious person into it would be fun in a swell!

I'm all for not giving someone a heart attack -- but how do you get someone in horizontally?
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 16:23   #66
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I'm all for not giving someone a heart attack -- but how do you get someone in horizontally?
You get your smallest jib and fasten the foot to the toe rail or stanchions and a long line to the head... drop it over the side and guide the MOB into the fold... haul in on the line and bring them up...
Make sure the lower life lines undone so they can be rolled on deck..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 18-09-2013, 16:52   #67
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I'm sure I'll catch flack for this but I don't jackline in all the time underway even when solo. Personally I'm off the belief that you judge the conditions much like everything else and act accordingly. In the story that started this thread I might or might not have been; the roll period and sloppy nature might have had me clipped. But I've also motored across mill pond conditions for days on end and frankly it's just not necessary for days like that.

I don't sail around triple reefed with a storm jib up "just in case" all the time and I'm not going to spend years of my life harnesses to a boat 24/7 underway.

Whenever I get out of the cockpit, especially sailing solo, to walk up to the foredeck I remind myself "Okay, this is the part where you die," and then I take whatever precautions I tink are prudent.

We're crossing the Pacific next year. Being becalmed in the doldrums for a few days with a jacklined harness, where you can shave in the water's reflection, just seems insane to me.

You may catch flack for it, but I don't think you should. There might be things up there you can take care of on a calm day that you'll have the patience to do if you don't have to adjust that tether every 10 seconds, things that might help you out when the ship hits the fan later on.

I would use only a short tether. I keep thinking about that guy I used to berth next to, whose jackline was short -- so when the boat got knocked down while he was at the mast, he stopped at the waist as he was going overboard. If he'd had 6' of tether he might have ended up injured, dragged alongside his boat in a really bad storm. I can't imagine that he would have survived that.

I didn't make my children wear their helmets walking down the street, even though conceivably a branch could have fallen on them or something. I did make them wear it when riding their bikes. So did our neighbor across the street, and it saved their daughter's life when she was hit by a car while on her bike.

A time and a place for these things, and only you know when you truly need a tether. Tethers can be used really badly (I know you know that already).

I'm not sure lifelines would have saved the guy who survived by grabbing his inflatable, either. Our centers of gravity are considerably higher than the lifelines.

I have slightly unstable legs, and my entire boat is netted (including the gates). I would crawl up, because I do not trust lifelines to save me.
Old 18-09-2013, 16:54   #68
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
You get your smallest jib and fasten the foot to the toe rail or stanchions and a long line to the head... drop it over the side and guide the MOB into the fold... haul in on the line and bring them up...
Make sure the lower life lines undone so they can be rolled on deck..

You guys know everything!
Old 18-09-2013, 17:03   #69
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You guys know everything!
Only in my dreams...

Old 18-09-2013, 17:07   #70
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Only in my dreams...

Well now don't get allll puffed up.

I said guyS. Put all the people here together and the level of knowledge is just astounding. You're part of it.
Old 18-09-2013, 17:19   #71
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well now don't get allll puffed up.

I said guyS. Put all the people here together and the level of knowledge is just astounding. You're part of it.
Sorry... just did not feel it was my place to speak for the other guys... they may have other and better dreams...

Old 18-09-2013, 18:25   #72

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

On another thread like this I found another way of marking "the spot".
A stack of regular, white paper plates. Throw those into the air and you will have something easy to see, day or night, that will float more like a person than a cushion blowing off in the wind.
My only problem has been to figure out how to store them so they stay dry and can be had in less than a couple of seconds.
Old 19-09-2013, 01:34   #73

How about the Switlik MOM-8. It deploys in seconds, has a horse shoe shaped life ring and a
MOB pole with a light. I like the idea of night vision monocular. I have one but would not thought of using it for MOB until now
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 14:03   #74

Boat: CSY 44, walkover

Hey there Tiger Lilly (aka Dad!) I realize this is an OLD thread, but it still may be of interest to others. I know it was to me, lol! Pretty sure you're not on CF anymore, but I thought I'd post a few "edits" - from my point of view.

1. We weren't wearing life jackets. I'm pretty sure you're remembering "pulled her up from the loop in her life jacket" from when we were little whippersnappers. All I had on was a bikini. This made the risk from an injury all the greater. Fortunately, I did not hit anything on the way down!

2. Mom was at the helm when this happened, and instinctively threw the red cushion to me as I was swept down the side of the boat. Later, she said she didn't even remember doing so. Jennifer, was doing dishes, and rushed up when you called Man Overboard. You posted her on the stern, with the words, "Do not take your eyes of your sister!"

3. Recovery. This really worried me as I tread water, holding the red cushion, watching the boat turn around. Would they deploy the MOB sling? The swim ladder? Alas, the freeboard on a CSY 44 is no small thing to climb up, particularly at sea. I underestimated the power of an adrenaline-fueled dad. As the boat rolled down to me, I grasped his forearm, he grasped mine, and in one motion, I was lying in the scupper. Bottom line: simpler is better.

4. MOB gear. I think it's important to note what did NOT happen. Namely, the flag/sling combo did not get deployed. I have to admit, I was disappointed. Surely *this* would be when we used that "gear we never want to use"!

-------------------------------------------------
Now a more humorous MOB story. Last year my husband & I purchased a Portland Pudgy, so that I could teach the kids to sail (GREAT learn-to-sail dinghy, btw). Off I go, into Mission Bay, with the two kids and our dachshund.

As soon as we started throwing some spray, the dachshund started biting at it. We all thought this was hilarious. The kids were worried he'd fall, but I assured them, "No, he won't fall over. He knows he'd get wet! Dachshunds *hate* the water!" Apparently, not this one. Soon he was lunging over the side - and fell right in.

I nearly had a heart attack. With all the jet skis zipping around, I had a real fear that he'd get run over. Fortunately, we were able to come right up on the wind, tack, and pluck him out of the water. No harm, no foul.

Now we tie him into the boat. A doggie jackline, if you will.

Dawn
San Diego, CA
Blue_marble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 14:16   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_marble View Post
Hey there Tiger Lilly (aka Dad!) I realize this is an OLD thread, but it still may be of interest to others. I know it was to me, lol! Pretty sure you're not on CF anymore, but I thought I'd post a few "edits" - from my point of view.

1. We weren't wearing life jackets. I'm pretty sure you're remembering "pulled her up from the loop in her life jacket" from when we were little whippersnappers. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...lies/smile.gif All I had on was a bikini. This made the risk from an injury all the greater. Fortunately, I did not hit anything on the way down!

2. Mom was at the helm when this happened, and instinctively threw the red cushion to me as I was swept down the side of the boat. Later, she said she didn't even remember doing so. Jennifer, was doing dishes, and rushed up when you called Man Overboard. You posted her on the stern, with the words, "Do not take your eyes of your sister!"

3. Recovery. This really worried me as I tread water, holding the red cushion, watching the boat turn around. Would they deploy the MOB sling? The swim ladder? Alas, the freeboard on a CSY 44 is no small thing to climb up, particularly at sea. I underestimated the power of an adrenaline-fueled dad. As the boat rolled down to me, I grasped his forearm, he grasped mine, and in one motion, I was lying in the scupper. Bottom line: simpler is better.

4. MOB gear. I think it's important to note what did NOT happen. Namely, the flag/sling combo did not get deployed. I have to admit, I was disappointed. Surely *this* would be when we used that "gear we never want to use"!

-------------------------------------------------
Now a more humorous MOB story. Last year my husband & I purchased a Portland Pudgy, so that I could teach the kids to sail (GREAT learn-to-sail dinghy, btw). Off I go, into Mission Bay, with the two kids and our dachshund.

As soon as we started throwing some spray, the dachshund started biting at it. We all thought this was hilarious. The kids were worried he'd fall, but I assured them, "No, he won't fall over. He knows he'd get wet! Dachshunds *hate* the water!" Apparently, not this one. Soon he was lunging over the side - and fell right in. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...s/facepalm.gif

I nearly had a heart attack. With all the jet skis zipping around, I had a real fear that he'd get run over. Fortunately, we were able to come right up on the wind, tack, and pluck him out of the water. No harm, no foul.

Now we tie him into the boat. A doggie jackline, if you will.

Dawn
San Diego, CA
Wow, this is a old thread. I'm not using this forum because I sold our boat. We could not afford it any longer. Doggie jackline might not be the answer since if the dog falls overboard it might be left dangling in the water and would surely drown in a few minutes. I suggest a doggy PFD. I had one for out Lab and I used to have one for my Dachshund which worked very well. He was a very poor swimmer due to his little legs. But seriously dogs are generally very strong swimmers and more people drown trying to save a water bound dog than the dogs. They often survive! Another thought is netting around the lower lifelines to prevent a accident.
Have fun sailing! I wish I still was
Barry
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overboard