Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2014, 16:02   #61

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Dangers at sea, dangers on land

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
In 2012, the Coast Guard counted 4515 accidents that involved 651 deaths, 3000 injuries and approximately $38 million dollars of damage to property as a result of recreational boating accidents.The fatality rate was 5.4 deaths per 100,000 registered recreational vessels.
You appear to be intentionally skewing the stats here buddy. As I quote back in post #27, according to the USCG, in 2012 there were 242 Auxiliary Sail vessels involved in reportable accidents in the USA. This resulted in 44 injuries and 12 deaths. This is approaching statistical insignificance.
Old 20-06-2014, 16:02   #62
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Dangers at Sea, Dangers on Land

Well Schumacher can vouch that skiing is more dangerous than Formula 1...
But if your honest just about everything that happens to you on your boat is often your own stoopid fault.. you've eliminated at least 99% of humanity outa the equation.. just a measly 1% to ram ya, drag into ya or gybe without a 'Ho'....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 16:05   #63

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I think the statistics are somewhat misleading, and correlate to different years, but if you want to challenge my conclusion, have at it:

During the past 10 years,about 41.5
people have died skiing/snowboarding per year on average.

The National Sporting Goods Association (NSGA)
reports in 2011 there were 6.9 million skier and 5.1 million
snowboarders.

In 2012, the Coast Guard counted 4515 accidents that involved 651 deaths, 3000 injuries and approximately $38 million dollars of damage to property as a result of recreational boating accidents.The fatality rate was 5.4 deaths per 100,000 registered recreational vessels.
Hmmm...

The two data sets that you quote don't seem very comparable to me. One lists a death rate and a estimated number of participants in the sport, with no regard to how many times per year those folks actually skied.

The other lists a death rate for all registered vessels, with no regard to number of t imes used or number of people on board when used. It also fails to note that (as referenced upthread) the VAST majority of boating fatalities are in small open motor vessels, not sailboats, and especially not cruising sailboats.

Absolutely nothing is proven by the numbers you have posted. They are essentially unrelated to the risk comparison of skiing and cruising.

Jim
Old 20-06-2014, 16:07   #64

Boat: Montevideo 43'
Re: Dangers at Sea, Dangers on Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Place me firmly in category B.
I totally agree with this sentiment.
We are talking about cruising and I think that means international. What about the dangers on land in most parts of the world?

To the guys suggesting rules and regulations. I agree. We need a concise set of rules and regulations or else we will all have to go back to common sense.
Downline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 16:11   #65

And how many accidents, and children deaths were directly related
to water sailing">blue water sailing ?

I have attempted to edit out the "water sailing" that precedes blue water sailing to no avail !

I would submit that the CC numbers are extremely small, and that BWS is
almost nil. If a child has died while blue-water sailing I can't imagine that
it would not have been public knowledge within a very short time. And known
by several CF members that would surely have shared such info by now.

IMO The stats you submitted are almost totally worthless in this debate.

"The best cure for sea sickness, is to sit under a tree."
~Spike Milligan.
.............."Life's not fair, and people don't act right"~Me.........
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 16:19   #66
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Dangers at Sea, Dangers on Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downline View Post
To the guys suggesting rules and regulations. I agree. We need a concise set of rules and regulations or else we will all have to go back to common sense.
I vote we bring back Keel Hauling...
Problem with the above quote is..
The rules and regulations are usually created by vested interests using nonsensical statistics...
AKA Killjoys..
That's why these days you can get busted for letting your kid have fun the way you did before your teens..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 16:39   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Hmmm...

The two data sets that you quote don't seem very comparable to me. One lists a death rate and a estimated number of participants in the sport, with no regard to how many times per year those folks actually skied.

The other lists a death rate for all registered vessels, with no regard to number of t imes used or number of people on board when used. It also fails to note that (as referenced upthread) the VAST majority of boating fatalities are in small open motor vessels, not sailboats, and especially not cruising sailboats.

Absolutely nothing is proven by the numbers you have posted. They are essentially unrelated to the risk comparison of skiing and cruising.

Jim
Reread my comment. I was responding to another comment about BOATING vs skiing. I also said that the statistics were misleading and not comparable, but I'd been challenged to produce some statistics.

If you've got better, bring 'em.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 16:40   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
You appear to be intentionally skewing the stats here buddy. As I quote back in post #27, according to the USCG, in 2012 there were 242 Auxiliary Sail vessels involved in reportable accidents in the USA. This resulted in 44 injuries and 12 deaths. This is approaching statistical insignificance.
I used coast guard statistics regarding boating, because I was responding to a comment about boating vs skiing.

So I wasn't skewing anything.

As far as statistical insignificance, it certainly wasn't insignificant to the people who died.
Old 20-06-2014, 17:00   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I vote we bring back Keel Hauling...
Problem with the above quote is..
The rules and regulations are usually created by vested interests using nonsensical statistics...
AKA Killjoys..
That's why these days you can get busted for letting your kid have fun the way you did before your teens..
Bravo Bravo.

Enjoying life, and having fun is something that nerds just
can't grasp, much less tolerate.

"The best cure for sea sickness, is to sit under a tree."
~Spike Milligan.
.............."Life's not fair, and people don't act right"~Me.........
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 17:04   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Well Schumacher can vouch that skiing is more dangerous than Formula 1...
But if your honest just about everything that happens to you on your boat is often your own stoopid fault.. you've eliminated at least 99% of humanity outa the equation.. just a measly 1% to ram ya, drag into ya or gybe without a 'Ho'....

This is about right.

Even the skiing statistics I saw pointed out that most of the skiing accidents were from people (males, between 25 and 35) either participating in risky activities or in an unauthorized area.
Old 20-06-2014, 18:12   #71

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
I used coast guard statistics regarding boating, because I was responding to a comment about boating vs skiing.

So I wasn't skewing anything.

As far as statistical insignificance, it certainly wasn't insignificant to the people who died.
We are talking about real risk of those using cruising sailboats. I don't care what you compare it to, the real risk by any measurable standard for most cruising boats is very low. It approaches zero, statistically speaking. Your final statement simply underlines your confusion regarding risk assessment. It's tantamount to the old hackneyed comment: "One death is too many." Or, "Any amount of pollution is too much."
Old 20-06-2014, 18:45   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
I think the statistics are somewhat misleading, and correlate to different years, but if you want to challenge my conclusion, have at it:
Read carefully. I did not challenge your conclusion. Merely pointed out that you were making a claim about relative accident rates, posted data to back the claim but only posted data relating to one of the two options.

To be honest I have no idea whether skiing or boating is relatively more dangerous and don't see that is really that pertinent to the discussion anyway.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 18:48   #73
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

OK, just for another perceptive I want to say that, due to my personal experience, the scariest place in the world for me is a hospital. My ex wife was an critical care nurse, they did some screwed up stuff. My kids have had some bad experiences, I had poison control tell me to "take whatever strips necessary, it's critical" while trying to get care in an ER. that nearly resulted in me being arrested. A local hospital damn near killed my Dad before we got him outta there AMA. My Mom had a stroke while recovering from surgery, and the didn't notice. I could go on, and on, and on.

From my experience when you are in the hospital you need a full time advocate watching out for your well being.

On a personal level I've had doctors tell me I needed shoulder surgery, the only option, when in fact I recouperated my shoulder myself once I understood the process. The Flyers sports doctor, once I got to see him, told me I healed myself and did exactly what he would have recommended.

While I understand that hospitals do save lives, and are of benefit, they also are a place of great danger, while being perceived as a place of rest and recuperation and safety.

That is the point, how do the realities stack up against the perception? Some of us perceive hospitals and doctors as islands of safety. Some of us see it very differently and don't trust them a damn.

Each to his own, just please respect my opinion and don't try to foist your opinion on me for my own good. You would not like it if the tables were turned.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 18:49   #74
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Reread my comment. I was responding to another comment about BOATING vs skiing. I also said that the statistics were misleading and not comparable, but I'd been challenged to produce some statistics.

If you've got better, bring 'em.
So you knew the statistics were misleading but posted them anyway?

Old 20-06-2014, 18:58   #75
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I repeat my previous question. Has anyone on this forum ever known or ever heard about a child that died or was seriously injured on a cruising boat or even ill or died due to inability to access medical care?

If no one has ever even heard of this happening I would propose that this risk is so small as to be no more significant than the risk of living on land.

Tags
danger