Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2017, 11:36   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Bow and arrow aboard? Do or dont?

While I have never been sprayed by wasp spay it's my understanding that it's not effective on a person. I bet Google would tell you though
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:52   #17

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)
Re: Bow and arrow aboard? Do or dont?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
In some countries bear spray is considerd a weapon . Use wasp and hornet spray. It has a longer range than bear spray and when an attacker is hit they dont keep comming at you.
Its a bug deterent and I doubt regulated harshly anywhere.
Does it work against wasps? We have lots of them in the islands off the coast of southern California. BTW, as a pesticide it is very heavily regulated in the USA, but not yet as a weapon. Is it any easier to hit that gun weilding pirate with it than it would be with an arrow or a bolt at the same distance, and if you do hit, except maybe in the eyes, how does it compare?
Old 08-02-2017, 11:56   #18

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Wasp spray doesn't do anything to humans.

Bow & arrow are, in many countries, regulated like guns. And before anyone asks, yes, so are air guns/ bb guns. Even airsoft toys are illegal in Australia.

If you want some sort of weapon that doesn't look like a weapon try de-icing spray and a lighter. The good stuff will give you a 20' stream of fire. Not sure that's a good thing on a boat though.

You might be better on a boat with something nauseous- deer urine, skunk spray, that sort of thing. Given the choice to puke or leave, I believe most opportunists will elect to depart.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:10   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bow and arrow aboard? Do or dont?

I think possibly that wasp spray may not be immediately effective but may do permanent harm vision wise. I think it mostly Pyrethrin and I don't know what that will do long term?
Old 08-02-2017, 12:15   #20

Old UDT driver told me never escalate a situation unless you see a way out of it. He's also the guy who told me if he had no choice, he would makeshift molotov cocktail, feign compliance/wave boat alongside and drop the canister and hard rudder. And I don't think he's all there either.

Bow and arrow is silly because you can't store a bow permanently strung up - and even if you're able to string it up in time, you escalate a possible robbery attempt into a fight for life. You'll lose.

Like others have said - avoid known bad hot spots. Chicago, Detriot, Rio is more dangerous than the Red Sea.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:19   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I agree a bow is not a good idea, but compounds you leave strung. I don't even know how to unstring mine
Old 08-02-2017, 12:19   #22

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

The idea of pissing off one or two pirates out of a typical group of how many? 4,6, more? Seems very poorly thought out.
Unless you have the means, and proven ability and constitution to completely control the situation to an end scenario with you free and unharmed.
Hollywood likes to show how easy it is to do;-)
Plan A, don't put yourself in a known pirate location!
Plan B, run!
Plan C, give them your valuables, and hope they leave.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:43   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Catamaran, FP 40 ft

Great comments and suggestions. Next year i will cross the pacific (Panama on wards) and i know there will come a time we will need to decide... RedSea/Canal Suez... or South Africa and west coast Africa (also not a walk in the park)... I want to be a damn solid archer... Prepare for the worst and hope for the best...
Best rgds
Pieter
Pieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:59   #24

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
The idea of pissing off one or two pirates out of a typical group of how many? 4,6, more? Seems very poorly thought out.
Unless you have the means, and proven ability and constitution to completely control the situation to an end scenario with you free and unharmed.
Hollywood likes to show how easy it is to do;-)
Plan A, don't put yourself in a known pirate location!
Plan B, run!
Plan C, give them your valuables, and hope they leave.
Almost complete. I highly agree with Plan A. Perhaps even Plan B, although the latter is, in perhaps most situations, difficult to execute. Somewhere after Plan A, and maybe after Plan B, but before Plan C, is the possibility of Plan X, have your own firearm(s). Not to open this sore point is to ignore the elephant. I think most of us know the arguments, both Pro and Con, and it is definitely a decision you must have made well before and need or possible use. Up to a point before executing Plan X you have the option of quietly moving directly to Plan C. That covers it, I think, except for rigging you own vessel to explode in, say, two hours, if you have not disarmed a trigger mechanism. Bang.
Old 08-02-2017, 13:23   #25

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
Almost complete. I highly agree with Plan A. Perhaps even Plan B, although the latter is, in perhaps most situations, difficult to execute. Somewhere after Plan A, and maybe after Plan B, but before Plan C, is the possibility of Plan X, have your own firearm(s). Not to open this sore point is to ignore the elephant. I think most of us know the arguments, both Pro and Con, and it is definitely a decision you must have made well before and need or possible use. Up to a point before executing Plan X you have the option of quietly moving directly to Plan C. That covers it, I think, except for rigging you own vessel to explode in, say, two hours, if you have not disarmed a trigger mechanism. Bang.
As I mentioned earlier,, most reports I've read listed 6 or more attackers in each boat. Pulling out a gun and trying to shoot them still has you at a disadvantage In numbers. Probably in experience as well.
Pulling out a gun also makes a statement that you will die before handing over any value. They may not take the chance, they may just kill you. I doubt it will bother their conscience much.
It's your choice to make.
Me, I can always go make more money, I can't bring myself back to life.
You also gotta remember. All they have to do is put a few holes in your hull. Fights over!
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 13:27   #26

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
Does anyone has experience in having o board a bow and arrows? I personaly dont like fire arms etc, but thought that having a bow and arrows (and lots of practice) could be a legal and efficient deterent with regards to possible/eminent pirate attacks.

Seems odd to me, disliking firearms but being OK with using a bow for protection.

That's not a criticism, just an observation.

If you ever get up this way, maybe a topic for discussion over a beverage.

-Chris
Old 08-02-2017, 13:40   #27
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bow and arrow aboard? Do or dont?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
As I mentioned earlier,, most reports I've read listed 6 or more attackers in each boat. Pulling out a gun and trying to shoot them still has you at a disadvantage In numbers. Probably in experience as well.
Pulling out a gun also makes a statement that you will die before handing over any value. They may not take the chance, they may just kill you. I doubt it will bother their conscience much.
It's your choice to make.
Me, I can always go make more money, I can't bring myself back to life.
You also gotta remember. All they have to do is put a few holes in your hull. Fights over!
Wanna buy a STEEL boat..??
Its a Van de Stadt..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 13:41   #28

Boat: Ingrid 38

Pirates will most likely
a) outnumber you
b) have a faster boat and
c) be armed with guns, possibly automatic weapons
Even if you have a gun yourself, much less a bow and arrow, you will lose.
babaluey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 13:48   #29

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

However, if you're really keen to be an archer/fighter, Google on Danish Master Archer, and just see what is possible for a fit young man to do with a bow and a handful of arrows!

Ann
Old 08-02-2017, 13:54   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Catamaran, FP 40 ft

Sorry, but you got the wrong impression.... the only reason i thought that for instance a bow and arrow would work, has mainly to do with registration and clearing in and out a country, besides you dont have to have a lisence to have a bow and arrow. Nothing to do with basic principles... everyone that thinks that it is ok to approach my boat with ill will... is not welcome and plan to defend what is mine. By the way, i am a liveaboard for the last 8 years, spent time in the Caribbean and Europe (besides Brazil) and nothing ever happened..... Any way great discussion.. thanks all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Seems odd to me, disliking firearms but being OK with using a bow for protection.

That's not a criticism, just an observation.

If you ever get up this way, maybe a topic for discussion over a beverage.

-Chris
Pieter is offline   Reply With Quote