Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2018, 09:46   #166

Re: Bow and arrow aboard? Do or dont?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
Hello friends,

Does anyone has experience in having o board a bow and arrows? I personaly dont like fire arms etc, but thought that having a bow and arrows (and lots of practice) could be a legal and efficient deterent with regards to possible/eminent pirate attacks. Also, to clear in and out islands and countries visiting this could be easier than guns and the likes. Any experience/comments?
Thanks
Pieter
SV Lumina
Lumina Charters – Brazilian Coastal Catamaran Sailing
You have to check every jurisdictions you want to visit. I think it is always an option to surrender the stuff to the coastguard until you leave a country.

Besides, bow & arrow won't be much useful against armed pirates, american Indians could tell you more about the usefulness of arrows against firearms, especially repeating types.
Old 14-01-2018, 09:51   #167
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fence Man View Post
I've let more than my fair share of lead fly from a boat, and these days, I don't miss.
There is a huge difference between shooting off a very wide, flat bottomed, 75' houseboat on a lake or river vs shooting off of a sail or power boat in the ocean.

First the motion of a cruising boat is very different than that of what is essentially a 75' barge type hull. The houseboat is going to be extremely flat and stable compared to any ocean cruising boat.

Second, some of the lakes and rivers I've boated on could be pretty choppy but generally even a rough day on a lake is a lot bumpier than a mild day on the ocean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 11:17   #168

Boat: Pearson 33-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
There is a huge difference between shooting off a very wide, flat bottomed, 75' houseboat on a lake or river vs shooting off of a sail or power boat in the ocean.

First the motion of a cruising boat is very different than that of what is essentially a 75' barge type hull. The houseboat is going to be extremely flat and stable compared to any ocean cruising boat.

Second, some of the lakes and rivers I've boated on could be pretty choppy but generally even a rough day on a lake is a lot bumpier than a mild day on the ocean.
No argument from me, but I've still never pulled the trigger from a houseboat. Sorry if I sounded like a braggart. It wasn't intended that way. The "don't take bad shots" should get the emphasis in that statement, as I'm quite a bit more patient than I once was. Cheers.
Fence Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 11:29   #169

A 'must avoid' area is Wash. D.C. It's a swamp full of pirates. Long gun = shotgun, slugs or 00, short gun = composite frame 9, archery = crossbow, party games = sling shot
CascadeThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 12:02   #170
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fence Man View Post
No argument from me, but I've still never pulled the trigger from a houseboat. Sorry if I sounded like a braggart. It wasn't intended that way. The "don't take bad shots" should get the emphasis in that statement, as I'm quite a bit more patient than I once was. Cheers.
Sorry if I misunderstood. When you mentioned letting go your share of lead from a boat I assumed you were shooting from the boat mentioned in your profile. Maybe duck shooting from a small boat?

Didn't mean to sound critical, just wanted to make the point that shooting from a boat in the ocean is not as easy as a lot of boaters seem to think, generally those that have shot a lot on land, are new to boats, and don't understand how big the difference is. It was a humbling experience for me.
Old 14-01-2018, 12:03   #171
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CascadeThumper View Post
A 'must avoid' area is Wash. D.C. It's a swamp full of pirates. Long gun = shotgun, slugs or 00, short gun = composite frame 9, archery = crossbow, party games = sling shot
Fortunately the pirates in DC tend to stay in the swamp and don't get into open water that often.
Old 14-01-2018, 21:13   #172
RPZ

Yes they are readily available. As far as I know they are legal in most states. Just check your state laws. The rest is mail order; suppliers will tell you if they can be shipped to your state.
RPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 22:50   #173

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Maybe better to stay at your dirt home where perhaps self-defense efforts are more clearly defined. Hopefully, you don't live in a jurisdiction that makes deadly self-defense illegal.
Old 15-01-2018, 02:38   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by viben View Post
Weapons seems contrary to the philosophy of sailing - and why not consider the fact that most - if not all - Europeans, sailing every corner of the word, do it without even considering bringing a weapon onboard?
Wait a minute, European guys on sailboats with big guns...isn't that how the colonial world was created?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 02:57   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
They used them as war weapons back in the day.

David also did a number on a Philistine Giant with one according to scripture.....

David's sling and stones: Were they toys or serious weapons? • KidExplorers • ChristianAnswers.Net
I was thinking about the kids stretchy toy sling shots.

I forgot about the old style leather thong type you swing around (though not real practical inside most cabins).

It's really very simple to smuggle the in. Get a girlfriend who wears thongs and likes to collect smooth rounded stones. When the authorities call you out for having a weapon, she gets all shocked and indignant.

Worst case scenario, she has to go without a thong until the next port of call.
Old 15-01-2018, 05:06   #176

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

In Europe even a pocket knife is considered a weapon. Even free speech is conspicuous, there is now a facebook / twitter / whatsapp police watching all the posts - there often are more officials sitting behind computer screens sniffing in social media than being on the streets to serve and to protect.

I doubt a bow and arrow would be of any use either. Too big for concealed carry. You can be robbed everywhere you go, not just on board.

BTW you might be robbed by the authorities in the first place. There is no bigger pirate organization than the fiscal authorities like the IRS and respective organizations around the world and there is no defense for regular citizen. Marinas are also a good place to lose a lot of money for just a wall and a hook.

Consider pirates as a one-time spending / charity and write it off. I have paid more duties in my life than any pirate could possibly steal from me when i am on the way. We have lost the ability to protect ourselves during the process civilization, and the believe in regulations.
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 05:11   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
It's really very simple to smuggle the in. Get a girlfriend who wears thongs and likes to collect smooth rounded stones. When the authorities call you out for having a weapon, she gets all shocked and indignant.

Worst case scenario, she has to go without a thong until the next port of call.
^^brilliant
Old 15-01-2018, 05:32   #178
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bow and arrow aboard? Do or dont?

Make your own arrows.. aluminium tube with one end plugged with a wood nock for the bow string.. then fill the tube with gunpowder and shot.. tamp it all down with an impact detonator.. or make your own using flint chips the way they do with certain fire works in Asia

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 07:21   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Make your own arrows.. aluminium tube with one end plugged with a wood nock for the bow string.. then fill the tube with gunpowder and shot.. tamp it all down with an impact detonator.. or make your own using flint chips the way they do with certain fire works in Asia
Someone's been watching too much Duke's of Hazard.
Old 15-01-2018, 07:29   #180

Boat: Pearson 33-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Sorry if I misunderstood. When you mentioned letting go your share of lead from a boat I assumed you were shooting from the boat mentioned in your profile. Maybe duck shooting from a small boat?

Didn't mean to sound critical, just wanted to make the point that shooting from a boat in the ocean is not as easy as a lot of boaters seem to think, generally those that have shot a lot on land, are new to boats, and don't understand how big the difference is. It was a humbling experience for me.
I never was big on waterfowling. Been duck hunting enough to know that breakfast in the boat/blind is the best part. Goose brats aren't terrible, but duck tastes like chit and we raise beef..... I enjoy shooting trap/skeet/sporting clays, and even pheasant once in a while, but I was always more of a single projectile kind of guy. Rifles and archery are a little more my speed, and I do enjoy shooting pistols a bit as well. We have set up some three gun courses here at home, and that is something I could get into if I wanted to part with all of my money. Shooting from a bench is boring and impractical.
Fence Man is offline   Reply With Quote