Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2022, 19:04   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: West End to Man O War

Make the Indian Cay or Memory Rock choice from West End (I usually took Indian Cay with my 4'3" draft). Pass by the north side of Mangrove Cay and the north side of Great Sale; then head for Center of the World Rock. After clearing the turn at the North end of Great Abaco head down the lagoon to Green Turtle where you can scoot out around Whale Cay unless there's a "rage" (build up of waves from easterly weather). Come back into the lagoon south of Whale Cay and it's an easy run down to Man-O-War. The Dodge book will have all these GPS waypoints.
Old 21-03-2022, 21:01   #17

Boat: Grady White Explorer 24’

All great info. Iam a learning!
Hwclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 07:29   #18

We draw 5.5 feet and we take the Indian Cay cut from West End. We always hit the cut at half tide or better. The waypoints in the Dodge book are spot on, so we build a course in our chart plotter and let the autopilot follow it. The first time we did it, we had someone standing on the bow. Now we trust the waypoints.
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 08:25   #19

Boat: Grady White Explorer 24’

Thanks
Hwclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 07:53   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

My first trip to the Abaco's was a bit unnerving.

For one, the water is so clear, you can count the blades of grass 15' below you. You get uded to is after a while and will come to enjoy it.

Going from West End or Memory Rock to M O W....you will sometimes encounter " fish muds". This is where fish stir up the bottom for miles, and it looks like you are about to run aground, when in fact, you'll have 20' of water under you. The first time you see this, you will likely think....wtf....but keep on going. You won't always see this, but it can happen.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 07:53   #21
Marine Service Provider

my grammar sucks..."you get used to this"....
Old 23-03-2022, 10:01   #22

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
.......After clearing the turn at the North end of Great Abaco head down the lagoon to Green Turtle where you can scoot out around Whale Cay unless there's a "rage" (build up of waves from easterly weather)..........

+1 on this route. You can refuel at Green Turtle but if need be you can stop earlier at Spanish Cay.

I don't know what your small boat handling experience is nor how you are powered. Please don't underestimate the power of the waves and current coming through the relatively narrow channel at the North end of Whale Cay during a "rage", as mentioned above. Pay attention to the tides as well as the wind. Ask the locals at the fuel dock for local knowledge. A mistake here can put you on the rocks pretty quick.

Besides, Green Turtle Cay is a great place to hang around for a day or two waiting for the Easterly winds to relax. Pineapples Bar & Grill is our favorite.

Take lots of spare fuel as noted above.
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 11:05   #23
Marine Service Provider

A small fishing boat type vessel need not go outside Whale Cay....there is a passage on the inside ,good for a small powerboat. Check your guide book.

I've crossed the Whale Cay passage, dozens and dozens of time, but never had a problem. Occasionally some big seas, but manageable. June/July, it should be relatively calm most of the time.
Old 23-03-2022, 11:15   #24
Marine Service Provider

as you can see from this chart there are two routes that go behind Whale Cay.....one close op to the west shore...and other a nearer Treasure Cay....a center console type boat can get thru' here..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3836.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	254815  
Old 23-03-2022, 14:00   #25

Do not get a BTC or an alive account in West end the guy charges a premium so wait to you get to green turtle. Or get something while you’re still in the states that will work in the Bahamas
Ranger2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 14:57   #26

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
as you can see from this chart there are two routes that go behind Whale Cay.....one close op to the west shore...and other a nearer Treasure Cay....a center console type boat can get thru' here..
I bow to MicHughV’s greater experience with this passage. His post did jog my memory into recalling that the inter-cay ferry does run inside……duh. I blame it on having deserted my power boat brotherhood in search of new adventures under sail. Now I think of 6’ of water as getting thin. Alas, I’ve sunk so low there’s probably no hope left for me.
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 17:03   #27
Marine Service Provider

No worries.....I've been thru' many cuts in the B'mas and some of them can get quite gnarly at times, especially with wind against the tide situations. I'm not quite sure what constitutes a "rage" at Whale Cay, but I've been thru' there in some big waves...I don't typically go as far out as the charts recommend though, but stick closer to the shore of Whale Cay...
Have taken a dink thru' the inside passage one time, just to see what it was all about
Old 23-03-2022, 21:11   #28

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35

I've fished and snorkled the Sea of Abaco out of Treasure Key and Hopetown in boats similar to yours. The closest fuel after you head out from West End is at Green Turtle. There should be no problem with your boat staying inside the whole way to Man O War. Watch out for the shifting sandy shallows between Treasure Cay and Whale Cay. There is deeper water all along the cays on the east inside, and after your fuel stop @ Green Turtle you can finish the run to Man O War in a couple of hours at planning speed. Get the guidebook.

If I were you however, I'd be more concerned about crossing the stream in a 24' powerboat. Do not misjudge the seemingly short passage from FL to West End. It can be vicious when the current is running against a big storm swell which can originate from hundreds of miles to the north. You likely will not be able to run at your book cruising speed. Taking your wife and kids will very likely result in a miserable seasick experience.

You should look as crossing the stream as a deep ocean voyage and be equipped accordingly. Leave FL well south to allow for the set of the Stream. Leave from Palm Beach because it seems the shortest and you might find yourself out in the blue Atlantic. As you go south, head offshore some miles and experience conditions in the Stream before you commit to a crossing. Find an experienced skipper in the Boca or Ft Lauderdale area that will both help you judge a good day to cross and who is willing to have you follow along. Smaller boats do make the crossing, but again please don't think, "Gee it's only 85 miles, we can do that in 4 or 5 hours".

BTW: The fishing is fantastic. The Atlantic drops off east of the cays into very deep water. Big, big blues out there. Inside you can troll for gouper, wahoo,snapper, etc..
Boatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 07:35   #29
Marine Service Provider

There is a new marina at Spanish Cay, I don't know whether you can get fuel there or not, but I suspect so. Not far from there is Cooper's town. There is no marina there, but fuel can be found there. Next stop would be Green Turtle Cay, where several fuel docks are to be found.

As above, monitor your fuel supple during your crossing of the GS. At the half way point, check your remaining fuel, as this is your go, no go point. If your tank is at the half way point, go back.

Finally, I also run a center console. The fuel gauge will read differently, when the boat is flat on a plane, or bow up in waves, so you need to understand what your fuel gauge means when it's 1/2 full.

As recommended before, take plenty of spare gas containers, and do the crossing together with another boat.
Old 24-03-2022, 09:56   #30
Marine Service Provider

I just googled Spanish Cay Marina and read that both gas and diesel are offered there.