Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2022, 09:10   #1

Boat: Grady White Explorer 24’
West End to Man O War

3/21/22 Need assistance as to routing from West End to Man O War. First time trip so don't exactly really know what to ask for. I have a GPS on board so I can key in points etc. Also have Navtronics on my IPhone and IPad.
Hwclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 09:16   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: West End to Man O War

Here's my 2c....head north to Memory rock and cross over there to get on the banks. Much deeper water..no hazards.....the entrance there is just to the south of Memory Rock.
If you don't have an Abaco Guidebook, get one, as it will list all recommended passages, has numerous charts, etc, etc.
Getting around the Abaco's is pretty simply, but you need to get the guide. There are numerous books, charts, etc.
From Memory Rock, it's about a 2 day passage to get to M o W.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 09:27   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Here's my 2c....head north to Memory rock and cross over there to get on the banks. Much deeper water..no hazards.....the entrance there is just to the south of Memory Rock.
If you don't have an Abaco Guidebook, get one, as it will list all recommended passages, has numerous charts, etc, etc.
Getting around the Abaco's is pretty simply, but you need to get the guide. There are numerous books, charts, etc.
From Memory Rock, it's about a 2 day passage to get to M o W.
3/21/22 Thanks for the info. I have ordered a Steve Dodge Guide Book.
Old 21-03-2022, 09:33   #4

Must stop over at West End for Fuel
Old 21-03-2022, 10:00   #5
Marine Service Provider

Stop at West End to fuel up, but go north to Memory Rock afterwards. Only other route is Indian Cay route.....I've done Indian Cay once, but there were no markers, so it was a bit iffy, so my preference has been to go to Memory Rock, which is pretty straightforward and I've done it dozens of times.
After Memory (or Indian Cay) there will no readily available fuel for quite a way, so plan accordingly.
A guide book is a must. All you really need, as most navigation can be done by eye.
Old 21-03-2022, 15:30   #6

How much further is the Memory Rock route than Indian Cay? Fuel is an issue.
Old 21-03-2022, 15:36   #7

Boat: C&C

With your draft there's no problem with Indian Cay Cut. Your GPS with Navionics will have the preferred track. After that you don't have to worry any where, you can also do Don't Rock at low tide. I did both Indian Cay Cut and Don't Rock many times with 3 ft 4 in draft even at low tide. Don't Rock was shallower, I admit I did bump the sand there twice at low tide. I'm sure you don't draw more than that with your boat, unless you have something different from your profile now?
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 15:50   #8

Boat: DeFever Raised Pilot House 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwclark View Post
3/21/22 Need assistance as to routing from West End to Man O War. First time trip so don't exactly really know what to ask for. I have a GPS on board so I can key in points etc. Also have Navtronics on my IPhone and IPad.
If u are using iDevices, I suggest purchasing Aquamaps with the Explorer chart option. What most use in the Bahamas. Has all the routes, distances,waypoints & info u need already embedded. I have Navionics on my MFD’s at the helms but in the Bahamas I use my iPads for navigation as the primary & more dependable source
Flatswing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 16:54   #9

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwclark View Post
Go 10 miles north to Memory Rock, then follow Explorer Chartbook route to Man O War.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 17:11   #10
Marine Service Provider

Memory Rock is about 10-15 miles north of West End, I'm not sure of the exact distance. You will actual come onto the banks about 1/4 mile south of MR. Memory Rock is quite small....maybe the size of a Honda Civic. You won't miss it as there is nothing else out there.

I think there is little difference in total distance to M 0 W from MR or IC.

Your next fuel stop will be at Spanish Cay, which is about a 100 mile trip. If you are on a powerboat, figure about 5 hours...

You will pass by two islands...Mangrove and Great Sale. A lot of sailboats stop there.
Old 21-03-2022, 17:14   #11
Marine Service Provider

There are usually boats headed that way. Once at West End, ask around. In all likelihood you'll be able to follow someone.
Old 21-03-2022, 17:33   #12

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

When you say fuel is an issue what do you mean? How much do you carry and what is your normal range. I saw normal because foul weather throws normal ranges in the toilet.

I was taught that planning should allow minimum of 30% reserve for any given distance. Also you have to take into consideration cleanliness of hull and how much you will loose if not a clean bottom.

Where will you be leaving from? Ft Pierce, Stuart, Lake Worth or even more Southerly.

A run from Lake Worth to Spanish Cay via Memory Rock is not really further than going into West End. Especially getting the little pouch by the Stream on the more northerly heading.

What about carrying additional fuel in cans or bladder?
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 17:42   #13
Marine Service Provider

I run a twin engined fishing boat....twin 150's....boat is a 24' center console. My tank holds 150 gallons. When the tank is full, the boat is quite heavy. At cruise, about 26-28 knots, I'm burning about 15 gal/hr, but initially, may be burning 20 gal/hr due to the weight. You may also be throttling up more to combat waves, and whatnot...I'd figure on 25 gal/hr. as you'll be battling a chop all the way there. You can burn just as much going slow. My boat has a fuel consumption gauge, so I can keep on eye on things.

I wouldn't dream of doing this in my boat, without a minimum of half dozen 6 gallon containers of fuel on board, a dozen even better.

Remember, you still have to bring the boat back.

There is no Seatow out there.

At a minimum I'd have a registered EPIRB with you, besides all the other stuff mentioned here. Obviously, plenty of water and food and sunscreen.

Powerboats often do this run. See if you can find a buddy boat to go with would be the smart thing to do.
Old 21-03-2022, 18:16   #14

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

If fuel is an issue, then you need more tanks just to make it to West End!!
And your fuel burn will double when running into the wind/waves. Make sure you leave on a calm day at nautical sunrise while the sea is still laid down.

Once you clear at West End and refuel you will run out of sunlight so plan on spending the nigth. The next day, just run north to Indian Cay, then run east to Great Sale, plan on refueling at either Fox Town, Spanish Cay, or Coopers Town.

And buy the Dodge charts

Coming back, run west to Memory Rock, then south to West End. Indian Cay channel is hard to find running west while on the bank
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 18:42   #15
Marine Service Provider

Be sure to bring along a big funnel...transferring gas at sea is a challenge...