Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2020, 14:19   #1

Boat: Beneteau/343
Recommended base in the straits of Georgia

I’m going to spend several weeks in the desolation sound and Broughtons this summer with multiple crew changes.

Last summer I did something similar where I went to the San Juan’s, Gulf Islands, and desolation sound. I made Anacortes my base.

this year, I’ll spend all of the time farther north. I’ll need to get crew in and out. Most coming from and going back to Portland.

I’m thinking Pender Harbour or Lund. Are there places that would allow people to leave a car for up to two weeks? Pender harbour has a better store. Lund may be harder to get to.

Recommendations? Other ideas?
davefromoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 14:51   #2

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Re: Recommended base in the straits of Georgia

Powell River might offer a few more amenities. Campbell River on Van Island might be more accessible. You'd be quite a hike from the Broughton archipelago - Port Hardy or Port Macneill (again on the island) are probably the most accessible spots.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 16:10   #3

Boat: Corbin 39

There are places to keep a car in Lund and there is a new modern grocery store opening in 2 months . It’s closest to Desolation as well . Powell River is a much better choice then Pender Harbour or Lund . Has all the stores plus chandleries if needed
cortezsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 22:07   #4

Boat: 2005 Bavaria 36

We have done this a number of ways in the past. The biggest obstacle for our guests was transportation for the guests. Here are some options we used.

We have used Herriot Bay on Quadra Island for family who flew into Nanaimo and were able to rent a car to Campbell River. Then a ferry and a taxi ride to Herriot Bay.

Lund was also used in the past as mentioned because of its proximity to Desolation Sound. Vehicle transportation was again needed in some form.

If you have guests from the US a charter plane drop off in Sullivan Bay maybe possible but not from Canada. That is a very common spot for The Broughtons for US travellers.

Port McNeil and Port Hardy are other options in the Broughtons. Buses service bother areas. Port Hardy is close to an airport. Bothe replaces are supply area for the boating community.
Harveyhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:12   #5

Boat: Newport 30

I'll 2nd (or 3rd) the recommendation for Powell River. Good airline access (Pacific Coastal Airlines, and others), excellent grocery stores, good hardware stores, etc. The marina is excellent! You're only a few more hours away from Desolation from Powell than from Lund. I've done this several times.

Steve
westwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:42   #6

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

There are places in both Pender Harbour (where I live) and Lund (where I keep Scorpius) to safely leave cars - free is possible depending on your risk tolerance. Lund is an extra ferry ride at $60 for car and driver plus $15 per additional passenger. That's for two ferry rides - either Vancouver to Pender and return or each way to Lund and back.

If you are planning to take a car on the ferry to either Langdale/Gibsons (for Pender Harbour and Powell River/Lund) or Nanaimo, make reservations well in advance or be prepared to wait several hours in line - especially for Nanaimo. I've never had a problem getting on the ferry to/from the Lower Sunshine Coast (Pender) to Saltery Bay (Powell River/Lund).

If you have cars available shopping is better in Westview/Powell River (40 minute drive each way from Lund). Shopping in Lund itself is the pits.

Also fill your tanks with water in Westview on the way up. The water is MUCH better than in either Pender or Lund (which is TERRIBLE - and the fuel dock has the nerve to charge for it!). Westview is also best for fuel. Also the Government dock (SOUTH of the ferry terminal) will let you tie up for free for a couple hours if there is room. Arrive mid day for the best shot at a spot. Tell them you are going shopping (even if you're not). It's a hell of a hike up the hill to the shopping Centre if you don't have a car available) and fill with water right from the tap on the dock. It's EXCELLENT!! The pressure is very high though so be careful. It's been known to blow hose fittings apart.

Anything else? It's a marvelous part of the world!
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:16   #7

From a convenience point of view and not necessarily cost . Fly to Vancouver Air Port (YVR) or drive and park in public long term lots get a service at same time for reduced rate on parking Taxi to the River side of the Airport ( Or Curtesy Pickup from the Small float plane Line) load your 4 or 5 people in a charter Turbo Beaver and have a spectacular flight up the coast.
An experience your guests will remember . Safer and more enjoyable than traveling in those Maximus Boing Boing Vehicles they make (sometimes) down there in Seattle . Kids and young people in particular love the whole adventure. I have done the trip often helping delivery to the playgrounds or phoning for a Pick up. Mike Pope
Michael Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:41   #8

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Consider using Campbell River as your base - it has way better air service from Vancouver than any of the other possibilities imo. It also has better shopping and all kinds of boat services available including a full chandlery and boat yard. It's a 4 1/2 hr motor - if you have to - from Prideaux Haven in Desolation Sound - 3 1/2 from Squirrel Cove (@ 6knots). Seymour Narrows is just north of Campbell River and is your gateway to Johnstone Strait and the Broughtons. It's a regular changeover spot for the superyachts that ply our waters in the summer.

Main drawback is having to navigate the currents in Discovery Passage which are approx 60% of the Seymour Narrows currents at Cape Mudge. You have to time your arrivals and departures especially on the big spring tides although there are counter currents to ride in either side of Cape Mudge that expand your window.
Current table for Seymour Narrows, British Columbia

If you're moored at Discovery Harbour Marina, there is a huge car park available with all kinds of shopping within walking distance - 3 big grocery stores in the downtown area. It's my home marina and I get parking passes for family accompanying us on trips as well as the one I get with my moorage.

It's closer to the Broughtons than other possibilities mentioned. Seymour Narrows is approx 6nm N of Campbell River marinas and is best transited on a change to ebb. I often move to anchor in Gowland Harbour overnight to save an hour getting to the Narrows the next morning. Johnstone Strait can be a challenge at times between the currents and opposing winds. If you're up there, you may want to exchange crews at Port McNeill instead. There are air taxis available from Campbell River to the Broughtons - and also directly from Vancouver (Kenmore Air is one example).

Enjoy your trip - we'll probably be in the same waters.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:50   #9

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

If you are planning to do the Broughtons
It's a FANTASTIC area. Be sure to visit Billy Procter and his museum just around the corner (to the south) from Echo Bay - although Echo Bay itself is not one of my favourite places. Shoal Harbour, a bit south of Billy Procter's, is a fabulous Anchorage.

If you are going to do the Broughtons you DO NOT want to be going back and forth to either Lund or Pender. It's a couple of hundred miles, through ALL the rapids and down/up Johnstone Strait which you don't want to do any more often than absolutely necessary.

Use Port McNeill for your base. Very easy shopping. Everything you'll need, good fuel and water, an excellent marina, and a pretty good, and HUGE Anchorage.

Getting to Port McNeill by car is a major PITA - dealing with (and paying for) the Nanaimo ferry and driving up and down the Island Highway over 200 miles each way. FAR better to have people fly in and out of the Port Hardy Airport. There is a public bus that runs from Port McNeill to the airport (including a transfer) but if there are several people a taxi is probably a better bet. Flying Portland - Vancouver - Port Hardy is probably cheaper, and sure as heck is easier, than driving up and dealing with the ferries (although the Anacortes to Victoria ferry is an option).

If you are heading up that way for the first time, do some research on getting through the rapids. Get a copy of Ports and Passes. It should be available in Portland as it's coverage area extends down there. It's tide and current tables are MUCH better than the government ones (don't depend on electronic ones. They can be fatally wrong!), has chartlets showing passes and harbours, and has tips on dealing with various things including running the rapids.

Have a great summer! We may see you up there.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:36   #10

Boat: Hunter 386

If guests are flying in then consider having them fly into Comox, which afaik has better/cheaper flights. A walk-on ferry ride will drop them off right by the marina in Westview (Powell River) and its a beautiful crossing.

In the Broughtons consider staying at North Island Marina in Port McNeill. Great staff, they fuel your boat in your slip and best of all they will lend you the van for crew changes. It's a bit further from the airport than stopping in Hardy but closer to the best places to visit in the Broughtons and has better groceries etc. IMHO.
Old 23-03-2022, 22:19   #11

Hi. Here we are two years later….

Due to covid19, I didn’t actually do this trip two years ago.

This year, most of my time will be up in the desolation sound area with one extended trip to the Broughtons.

Waggoners used to publish a fairly straightforward set of 6? volumes on each major cruising ground. I’ve tried to find them on the waggoners site and haven’t had any luck. What am I missing?
Old 23-03-2022, 22:34   #12

Boat: Mahe 36

You might be thinking of the Dreamspeaker series of guide books?
VanIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 22:54   #13

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefromoregon View Post
Hi. Here we are two years later….

Due to covid19, I didn’t actually do this trip two years ago.

This year, most of my time will be up in the desolation sound area with one extended trip to the Broughtons.

Waggoners used to publish a fairly straightforward set of 6? volumes on each major cruising ground. I’ve tried to find them on the waggoners site and haven’t had any luck. What am I missing?

I've never known Waggoners to have more than a single publication ... divided into area chapters (6?). As Vanisle says, Dreamspeaker? Salish Sea Pilot has E guides, but for 7 areas. May see you in Desolation if you make it up here - good luck with the trip this time.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 23:12   #14

I was looking for current editions of this:Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1648102306.986993.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	254844
Old 24-03-2022, 00:32   #15
Senior Cruiser