Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2021, 15:25   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: NOAA charts with depth in meters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper53 View Post
Maybe all government charts and the electronic industry could agree on using cubits as the measurement standard....
A cubit is a quarter of a fathom, which I already use when sounding with my leadline, so it would be better than meters.....
Old 16-03-2021, 15:38   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
Have you checked when those were surveyed last? Those could be quite ancient charts.

Modern standard is to mark depths in metres, so charts showing fathoms or feet are archaic.
chasfgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 15:56   #18

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Do you believe they've changed all their soundings on paper charts since >five years ago? Seems like a big job, given how many fathom charts there are around the Gulf of St. Lawrence.
No, they haven't yet here on the West coast. Not all. But the number of fathom charts is dwindling and now a small minority (here on the west coast).
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 16:09   #19

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

The world is dragging the U.S., kicking and screaming, into using the metric system. Why, oh why, can't we just decide to change and get on with it?

What is really sad is that three of our founding fathers (Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, George Washington) were instrumental in convincing the French to create a decimal system of weights and measures, which led to the metric system. Although they did succeed in establishing a decimal currency in the U.S. they were unsuccessful in getting a decimal system of weights and measures accepted by Congress. And we are still clinging to our arcane and difficult to use system, with fractions that baffle so many. It is a huge competitive disadvantage.

I was in Ireland and the U.K. when they went metric and it was almost a non-event. Time to move on...

Greg
Attached Files
File Type: pdf USAMetricSystemHistory.pdf (110.3 KB, 12 views)
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 17:23   #20

Boat: Pearson 365

One of the nice things about digital formatting of charts is that the displayed information can use whatever units the user prefers. The only problem I can see is the quantization of depth information. If quantized to 0.1 meters as opposed to 1 foot, there may be differences in displayed depth contours depending on the selection of units. But, this probably isn’t really a problem. What’s more important is that everyone follows the same standard. It’s also important in my opinion that all government hydrographic agencies make the digital (ENC) data available, for free, on their websites.

But, all this said, I still like the printed charts. They let one see the big picture as well as local details. On our boats, there is no room to have a display over a meter wide to display, whereas using a nice big paper chart works fine. Also, the ENC charts are really ugly - no way anyone is going to frame one for the wall at home. I’m buying many paper charts in anticipation of their disappearance. Right now, most BSB (raster) charts are still being updated and are available to have printed.
rondelais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 03:18   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfgr View Post
Modern standard is to mark depths in metres, so charts showing fathoms or feet are archaic.
Strange that I was able to buy current-issue archaic charts hot of the government press in Canada. If they are currently being printed, are they not by definition not archaic?
Old 17-03-2021, 03:31   #22

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Strange that I was able to buy current-issue archaic charts hot of the government press in Canada. If they are currently being printed, are they not by definition not archaic?

You can still make copies of archaic charts.
Sailmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 04:13   #23

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
The world is dragging the U.S., kicking and screaming, into using the metric system. Why, oh why, can't we just decide to change and get on with it?

What is really sad is that three of our founding fathers (Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, George Washington) were instrumental in convincing the French to create a decimal system of weights and measures, which led to the metric system. Although they did succeed in establishing a decimal currency in the U.S. they were unsuccessful in getting a decimal system of weights and measures accepted by Congress. And we are still clinging to our arcane and difficult to use system, with fractions that baffle so many. It is a huge competitive disadvantage.

I was in Ireland and the U.K. when they went metric and it was almost a non-event. Time to move on...

Greg
The U.S. went Metric in 1975 so officially you have been a metric country for over 45 years!!! Just in their "infinite wisdom" the law makers made conversion voluntary!!! So it never actually happened! Only 3 countries in the world still "primarily" use the imperial system...
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 10:48   #24

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
But, the metric system DOES make more sense

To who?
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 11:06   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
To who?
To all those who got confused by 1/8, 1/12 and other weird subdivisions when converting from furlongs into fluid-sillyputties.
Metric: It's always 1/10

Not always, always, you still have seconds and minutes. but beside those all the way.

Another benefit for mariners: 1 m/s matches very closely 2kn. Good for windspeed charts.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 11:40   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
And we are still clinging to our arcane and difficult to use system, with fractions that baffle so many. It is a huge competitive disadvantage.

Greg,

I moved from the US to Canada almost 5 years ago. We'd traveled around the world extensively and I lived in Iran from '75 to '78. I am quite well aware that different places have different forms of measurement.

Fractions? You must be kidding. Even the metric guys have to divide occasionally. Of course, it's MUCH easier for them 'cuz their denominator is usually 10!!!

I "get" F to C and miles to kilometers and even litres to gallons.

I still have "issues" as to why rain and snow are different: mm vs. cm.

One of these days that light bulb will go off above my head. Til then, a brolly and a toque.

Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 13:23   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
The U.S. went Metric in 1975 so officially you have been a metric country for over 45 years!!! Just in their "infinite wisdom" the law makers made conversion voluntary!!! So it never actually happened! Only 3 countries in the world still "primarily" use the imperial system...
I worked with the auto industry in Detroit in the early '70s, at the time they "went metric". Going metric meant specifying fasteners as 6.3mm instead of 1/4in - they were still using SAE fasteners. You just can't make this stuff up...

While it is understandable that people feel most comfortable with the system they grew up with or were trained in, using metric is immensely easier - especially for engineers and other technical people. What is not seen, but is very real, is the cost of staying with a system the rest of the world wants nothing to do with. How many of us have two sets of tools, one for each system? The biggest hidden cost is probably in foreign trade: no one wants our non-metric sizes. Well, perhaps the British are OK with it. They de-standardized some of their odd sizes (Whitworth, BSF, BSC, BA) in favor of the Unified Thread System (SAE), agreed with the U.S. in the 1940's. And they are still using them, as well SAE, even though they are now officially metric. (The threaded tiller pin for an Autohelm/RayMarine autopilot has a BSP thread!) Basically, changing systems takes a long time and the sooner we get started on it the better.

Greg
Old 17-03-2021, 18:59   #28

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Here in Aus, where we’ve been metrics for “yonks” (to use a non-metric unit of time), most people still refer to people’s heights in feet while referring to weight in kg.

And, there’s a special sub-section of people called “Collingwood six-footers” who are people shorter than 6 feet but exaggerate their height!
ChrisJHC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 19:21   #29

The English still weigh themselves in stones and pounds.

Greg
Old 17-03-2021, 21:23   #30

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

I still have "issues" as to why rain and snow are different: mm vs. cm.
'Cause 1cm of snow is equiv to approx (!) 1mm of rain...
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, depth